Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. I was not able to detect for a few weeks due to the flu, and my Tesoro in the shop for a tuneup. I was having withdrawals, so I cashed in $200 worth of my coins, and bought another Tesoro Silver Umax as a backup. ;D
During my down time, I came up with a flyer about myself, what my hobby is, and my contact info. I then hand selected about five old properties that I wanted to get permission to hunt, and attached them to the mailboxes, and included a self-addressed stamped envelope. *If anyone would like to see the flyer, just PM me.
Within 4 days I had an interested party. It is the plantation house you see pictured. I brought over my relic cases to show them what I have found just in this last year. They were very impressed.
This house was built in 1820, and sitting on 30+ acres. It has all the makings of a great hunting spot. Huge trees, old outbuildings, old CW road on the property, slave shack, horse pasture, woods, etc. I was told General Joseph E. Johnston and his troops camped on this spot in April, 1865 on their way from Raleigh to Durham.
I was just praying that no one had hit it before, and I went there today at lunch for my maiden voyage. It looks like I'm in luck! What you see, I found very quickly within an hour. The 35' buffalo nickel was a real treat. I'll be headed back there this w/end for my first long hunt.
My finds today were:
*1935 Buffalo Nickel
*1927, 54, & 55 Wheats.
*24mm Flat button - no back mark
*Asst'd bullets -
One says "F" "A" "30" on the bottom. Any idea what it is & how old?
One some lead bullet with two rings- Age? Type?

*One arrow tip, and another one that I don't know if it is an arrow tip or a bullet? It has a solid, not hollow bottom and a missing piece at the very tip. Bullet or arrow?

*A headless cast metal horse.

*An old marble. Duffy, are you out there? Any idea on this one?

*Two "WHATS IT's" - Any ideas?
One says "The Dill Mfg Co. Cleve. O. Pat. July 13,1915".
The other piece has a wire through it and says " Press 1-6A-P Groove P"

A great start to a neat new MDing spot. Come on silver!!! ;D
Thanks for looking,
MM
Doug

Attachments

• 1820 Plantation.JPG
    1820 Plantation.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,320
  • House -other side.JPG
    House -other side.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Cemetery area.JPG
    Cemetery area.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,324
  • Horse area.JPG
    Horse area.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,325
  • Huge saw blade.JPG
    Huge saw blade.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 1,338
  • Old CW road.JPG
    Old CW road.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,329
  • Old kitchen.JPG
    Old kitchen.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,327
  • Smoke house.JPG
    Smoke house.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,310
  • Valentines finds.JPG
    Valentines finds.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,302
  • 1935 Buffalo.JPG
    1935 Buffalo.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 1927 Wheat.JPG
    1927 Wheat.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,291
  • Finds1.JPG
    Finds1.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,301
Upvote 0

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
That's like a dream come true. I bet you have just barely scraped the tip of the iceberg.

HH!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Doug...

You Suck...But I still Luv YA... ;) ;) ;)
Righteous...Just Flippin RIGHTEOUS...
Makes me wanna book a flight...
GREAT STUFF...OUTSTANDING...
Nick

Nick,
Thanks for that tender moment. ;D ;)
Get on that plane Buddy. I have a LOT of plow tips and horseshoes for you to dig. ;D
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Super site and nice start on the finds!

It sure pays off to be aggressive instead of just sitting around complaining about no places to hunt.

It's guys like you who get the big finds. Luck really has nothing to do with it.

Well done and I can't wait to see what else you'll find there.

Badger

Thanks Badger.
I get bored sitting around. ;D Can't wait to get my detector back with the web coil. It's on it's way. Tesoro called me today. Come on Silver! ;)
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bulgarian said:
Good luck on this new site and post more pictures of your finds.
I bet you will find some old"Bling Bling Baby"

You predicted that right. I found an old bling ring today. ;D Just posted it.
-MM-

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres silver there, even i can smell it.

Awsome site, finds and flyer info.

I`m thinking of devising a letter to new developers that release`s them if any harm that comes to me while i`m on their property. kinda of like i`m here at my own risk thing.

So much of older Raleigh is being re-developed and being carried away :-\

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moonshadow said:
Wow Doug! You give the rest of us chicken heads some hope. I'm very hesitant to ask permission to hunt those old homesteads, but gosh there are heaps of them here!! Love your finds so far and what a great camera you must have. Nice pics! And I must compliment you on your clean hands as well! ;D Thanks for sharing and I look forward to future posts.

HH,
Moon

Thank you Moon.
HH,
MM

PBK said:
Found a Dill Mfg. Co. patent for a "Clamp for Use in Patching Tubeless Tires," issued in 1958, which cites an earlier
patent issued on July 13, 1915.

So, your Dill "whatsit" may have something to do with that.

Thanks for that info PBK. I have no idea what this thing is? At first I thought it was an old razor handle, but it's not.
-MM-

Derek752 said:
Hey MM --
That is a nice site you got ...I cant wait to see the treasures your gonna be digging there !!!! You are going to clean up on relics and coins !! Maybe another clipped spanish ! ;)
D. 8)

Derek,
A reale would be awesome. A gold coin would be too. ;D
-MM-

BuckleBoy said:
Well done, my friend! If someone has hunted that area before then they made a BIG mistake by cherrypicking! I feel pretty certain that it wasn't hunted--those larger brass items would've been found in any place with CW history. Nice work!
By the way, my gut feeling on that bullet with the white patina is that it is CW. I don't recognize the type, but there is a little damage to it from either the plow or perhaps even being fired. Can't tell much about it.
-Buckleboy

Thanks BB. I found out today that two guys a year ago hunted the woods looking for CW relics, but it appears they didn't dig around the house. I found a Barber today at lunch, and a ring. ;D
-MM-

Mirage said:
Wow, what a sweet spot. I also think based on your initial finds that you should find some very nice stuff. WTG.
Bob

THanks Bob.
I would love to score some old coins here. Got my 2nd Barber today. Ya-hooo. ;D
-MM-

Captn_SE said:
Doug, you made excellent use of your "downtime". What a great, old site that will be for you. I'm jealous!! Maybe I'll come over and help you out. I wouldn't mind being one of your "deputy" relic recovery personnel. ;D
Wonder what you'll be finding next. ::) There sure is a lot of land to cover.
Nice job, buddy!!
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan. I could use your SE over here. ;D
-Doug-

Nana40 said:
So ya had the flu, huh? I told you not to wear those dresses out into the field in winter time, MM! ;D

DANG WHAT A SITE!!!! :o You are very fortunate to get to hunt it!!!! Way to go!!!

Congrats on those finds! Nana ;)

Thanks Nana. I wear my flannel dress on these farm hunts. ;) It keeps my tush warm. ::)
-MM-

civilman1 said:
I hope this place is just as good,if not better than the 1830's farm.I'll PM you later to check out the letter if you don't mind Doug.Look's promising.....Congrat's and HH!!

Thanks Civil. If I find that matching eagle mantel clock piece, it's yours! ;D ;)
-MM-

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Man that's a great looking site. I love the idea about the flyers, keep us posted if you get any more hits on them. I hope you finds tons of cool stuff there at that newest site.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Man look at all the chimneys on that place! That took alot of money when it was built. That tips me off to old stuff. You're not even scratching the surface yet. With all the acerage there, you could be searching for years, don't wear out your welcome.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiros32 said:
ModernMiner said:
Thanks Folks. A place like this should keep me busy for many, many months I hope. The last place I had close to this one I hunted for over a year, and there is still LOTS of wooded area I haven't even seen yet.

top pop top said:
The Bullet With F A On It Stands For Frankford Arsenal But The Year I Couldnt Tell You.

Thanks Top Pop Top.

SgtSki in MI said:
top pop top said:
The Bullet With F A On It Stands For Frankford Arsenal But The Year I Couldnt Tell You.

F A 30 = Frankford Arsenal 1930

This headstamp system is still in use. I just stripped a 5.56 round out of my M4 magazine to check. It says "LC 05" which means it was manufactured at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, MO in 2005.

I'm curious though as to what the round you have IS. It looks like a pistol bullet stuck into thhe remains of a fired .30-06 case
-SgtSki

Thanks SgtSki.
Very cool info. The casing on it is pretty fragile. Some of it crumbled away on me. I'm going to give it to the owners. They have one 3-ringer from this property that was actually found by chance.
-MM-

Found by chance? Let's hear the story, sounds interesting.

The three ringer they had was found while digging in the yard. There was an old plank road right in front of this plantation house. I hope I can find them some more bullets to keep.
-MM-

S

Scots Gaelic

Congrats on get "back in the game". I am especially impressed that you found a marble with that new md, what frequency did it register in? G.K. lol.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted out? Lol! said:
Congrats on get "back in the game". I am especially impressed that you found a marble with that new md, what frequency did it register in? G.K. lol.

I installed a "glass mode" on my detector to find marbles, bottles, etc.
I'm working on an "Indian arrowhead" mode now. ;D
-MM-

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww Man...there's history all over that place...Find the Privies, that's the honey pot...Anyhow I look foward to your next posts on that place. HH

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The copper wire connector is still used to this day although it is considered somewhat obsolete. We carry them on the truck to mostly repair fences that needed to be cut to gain access to poles. The new style is much like a chinese finger.(the more tension the better hold it has)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread