Back in the Swing of Things.. the Pressures Off!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Back in the Swing of Things.. the Pressure's Off!

Hi Everyone! I got a chance to get out and swing a little detector yesterday afternoon after work. It was wonderful! Not so much the weather, but just being able to get out and enjoy the hobby, do a little digging.. letting off some steam from the pressures of work and life in general. It wasn't a long hunt, but it was VERY productive for the little over two hours I spent with my head down and my nose in the dirt.. well.. almost mud. <grin>
The weather around these parts has been unpredictable, or at least uncooperative for a metal detector enthusiast like myself. It seems that whenever I *DO* get a little time to be able to devote to this passion, the weather is nasty or the conditions are just not conducive to enjoying it very much. Yesterday wasn't that way, however. Granted, it wasn't bright and sunny, or particularly warm. A Cold front was blowing through and what had been 60+ degree weather the day before, was now falling temperatures (lower 40's dropping rapidly into the 30's). The skies were leaden and the unending overcast of clouds burdened with the promise of more precipitation.. would it be a cold rain? or would it be snow? <shuddering> But! It was NOT raining or snowing at the time.. the ground was sodden, sure, but it wasn't frozen solid as concrete pavement either.. so I jumped at the opportunity to indulge in a little swing time.
I got off work at 3:00 in the afternoon, and despite the clouds, wind and falling temperatures, I headed to one of my favorite hunting spots. This Park is near where I work so the drive time was merely minutes. It's a BIG park too. I've mentioned it before in previous posts here on TNet. This park features a fair grounds, numerous soccer fields, a dog walk, playgrounds, picnic areas and even equestrian show arenas.. not to mention LOTS and LOTS of open space. My hunt for the day was concentrated on some median parking strips back around the numerous soccer fields. These grass strips ten yards wide and hundreds of yards long, stay FULL.. or nearly so when the games and or practices are held in the warmer months. People are always losing stuff out of their pockets, car doors, gym bags.. and anything else they transport from their vehicles to and from the fields. Oh.. and let's not forget the trash and other debris that is dropped or in a lot of cases just tossed instead of put in a garbage can. Some people just have no respect or conscience.. so it would seem.
And trash I found.. the usual suspects.. pull tabs, can slaw, whole cans, foil wrappers, bottle caps of all kinds, car parts.. yes.. car parts.. stuff that makes you sit back on your heels and say "What the He// ?" <smile> Yeah.. I found the trash.. a LOT of trash. It's normally rather a bit of a pain to keep hitting trash and pull tabs over and over, but it's been so long over the past months that even that bit of drudgery was enjoyable. Most of that stuff went into the nearest trash can of course. Fortunately trash was not all that I managed to find. I found coins.. LOTS AND LOTS of coins. Pennies and Dimes seemed to the be featured denominations for yesterdays hunt. I guess they are harder to find in the grass whenever someone drops them. <shrug> Not too hard to find with a metal detector though. <smile> I found 10 nickels too though, probably because I was digging nearly every target even if I suspected it to be yet another pull tab or some can slaw. There were a few quarters to keep things intersting as well.. It all made for quite a pile of stuff after I dumped out my finds bag when I got home. Have a look for yourself.. this is everything (minus most of the can slaw, and big trash)..

2-27-09 002pile.jpg

..note the dirt and grass still mixed in with all the clad, pull tabs and other stuff.. I always seem to pack in some of the dirt that I pulled my treasures out of.. <smile>

It was Oh so relaxing to get out and play yesterday.. I really let off some steam. I wasn't the only one letting off steam either.. One of my finds kind of threw me for a few moments after I dug it up. When detected it rang up as a 50cent piece or at least something in that range on my detector. Certainly got my attention. After digging it up and scraping off some of the dirt and pulling out grass roots and what not I had to sit back on my heels and wonder about it for a moment or two. Then it dawned on me what it was that I had in my hands. Steam indeed.. Someone had lost a LOT of steam over this little item at some time in the past.. Here's a picture of it after I cleaned it up a bit more when I got home. How many of you can identify it at first glance?

2-27-09 005Whatzit1.jpg : 2-27-09 006whatzit2.jpg

And how many of you got it? For those of you less familiar with the inner workings of the internal combustion engines that power our automobiles.. this is, or was a little item that helped regulate the coolent flow for your engine. It's a Thermostat valve (regulator) As the temperature goes up or down, the metal in the coil spring expands or contracts, opening or closing the valve to regulate the flow of the liquid. Apparently this one quit working and was removed from someones engine.. and tossed aside.. where it later got stepped on or run over or otherwise mushed a bit. <smile> Still.. it's a neat find and one that sets the imagination to running as to what the story was behind it's being found where it was.. how it got there.. etc.

Another bit of excitement was a largish coin that I found. I thought it might be another "toss" coin that officials use to begin the soccer matches with, it's about the right size. When detected it also rang up as something in the 50cent piece range. Check it out..

2-27-09 007comp.JPG

Process Engineering Skills ??? A C S ??? <shrug> To me, Process Engineering involves plastics operations and production.. a lot of what I work with actually, but I've never heard of ACS and am not familiar with the logo on the coin. Perhaps it's a school somewhere or a company? Oh well, still a neat find all the same.

Well after getting home, sorting out the stuff in my finds bag, and cleaning it up a bit.. I ended up with quite a nice little haul of clad. <BIG SMILE> For a hunt of a little over two hours, I think I did pretty dang well! Battery money? Gas money? Snack money? or as my wife likes to call it.. VACATION FUND MONEY.. <grin> Cha..Ching!

2-27-09 004clad.jpg

$10.31 in spendable coin. <smile> Oh, and a couple of Canadian pennies too....I usually don't count those, but I keep them all the same. Of course along with the clad and goodies, there is always the junk.

2-27-09 009junk.jpg

The aluminum washers and the pull tabs go into my pull tab collection.. the magnet (played hell with my detector) got stuck to the fridge.. always having to put reminder notes or coupons or what not on the fridge don't you know.. the rest usually just gets tossed into the recycle bin. The pictures of course, are recorded, stored on the computer and shared with everyone here at TNet, along with my rather long winded recounting of my adventures in finding all this stuff. I'm VERY happy to finally be getting out and enjoying the hunt again. I hope you all got out or get out soon and enjoy yourselves as well.. as always..

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

zztop357

Jun 9, 2007
Re: Back in the Swing of Things.. the Pressure's Off!

WTG Frodov!!!!!! The only thing happening here is a very cold rain and a big chance of snow :'( You did good in 2 hours. I can't wait for spring. What is the round iten on the right bottom picture? Is it a marble? It looks worn and faded.
HH, zztop

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I want to party with you dude!,keep on digging, Kane 23

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

at least you got out. The temp's are still in the teen's and mid 20's. with a new 6" of the white stuff.

Happy Hunting.

Twin Digger

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_cheers: I know, I know!! I know what it is! :D

Great that you were able to get out and dig, Fro! :icon_sunny: And on first glance of those alum washers, I thought for sure you had found Bama tax tokens! :tongue3: :D The weather here is crazy too! Tornados yesterday and today and tonight SNOW! ??? We'll see. :D

Nana :wink:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Looks like you had a great 2 hours. Looks like that thermostat has seen better days. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Looks like a nice haul.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

zztop357 said:
WTG Frodov!!!!!! The only thing happening here is a very cold rain and a big chance of snow :'( You did good in 2 hours. I can't wait for spring. What is the round iten on the right bottom picture? Is it a marble? It looks worn and faded.
HH, zztop

That round thing was a rather dried up and hardened rubber "super ball". Bubble gum machine special.. remember balls and jacks? It was an eyeball find, but very near (less than a coil's distance) from a couple of coins that the detector DID pick up. <shrug> Got to keep your eyes open while detecting... right? <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frodov , Glad you got out man , thats a pretty good haul on the spendable . You keep workin

those sports areas , you should pull a gold ring or pendant when you least expect it as you are

digging the nickels and pulltabs . Argentium.

R

rig runner09

alright on the 180 theromastic i thought i was the only one to find them but all is a nice find :thumbsup:

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

FRODOV GLAD YOU GOT OUT TO HUNT. AWSOME GROUP OF FINDS. :thumbsup:

oahu90

Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250

Haha i just started MDing man those pulltabs ring nice but the suck man

P

Pentico

frodrov,
When you get to didding, you dig my man!
Another great digging day for you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Glad you got out!

DN

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

Oahu90 said:
Haha i just started MDing man those pulltabs ring nice but the suck man

Don't I know it.. I've not been detecting as long as some of the "old timers" here on TNet, just about two years now for me, but I think I've found as many or MORE pull tabs than most of them. <grin> It is very frustrating after a while, especially if and when it seems that the tabs are just about ALL you are finding or digging up. I got the notion early on that Perhaps I'd save whatever silver or gold that I did eventually end up finding and commission a jeweler to make something out of it for me. Namely, a solid gold or silver (or both) pull tab that I can put on a chain and wear around my neck. <laughing> Only OTHER metal detectorists would "GET" the reference.. most other people would just not understand. <grin>
Keep digging those signals though my friend, because not all "pull tabs" turn out to be pull tabs. On my machine (a White's Prizm IV) the indicator for pull tabs is right next to the nickel indicator, more often than not even when my machine is indicating a nickel, it's actually a pull tab.. HOWEVER, sometimes a nickel is really a nickel.. and SOMETIMES, it turns out to be a ring or a chain, or earring. I've found gold and silver this way.. so even if your machine is indicating a nickel or a pull tab.. what the hell.. dig it up.. you might get a surprise! And, if nothing else, you'll have removed one more false signal from the places you hunt so that the next time you or someone else comes around, you won't be bothered by it again. <smile> Also.. check out the price being paid for scrap aluminum.. I keep a bucket in my garage that I dump my "found" pull tabs in.. eventually I'll either recycle them, or donate them to whatever charity is collecting pull tabs at that time. <shrug>

Whatever you do.. just remember to have fun.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

dave-enc said:
wtg frodrov great day, no digging for us this weekend nothing but rain here oh well
hh
dave+bobbie

Yeah.. weather struck here again in Central Kentucky as well.. Friday it was changing, from springlike 60+ degree weather with sunshine and blue skies..turning off cloudy and threatening rain or worse, snow, as it was getting colder. It was dreary looking Friday when I made this last hunt, windy and colder, but Saturday it DID rain, and turn to snow.. here I sit Sunday morning and there's snow on the ground and it's 26 degrees outside (farenheight).. that's below freezing by the way for you folks using Celcius standard. Brrr.. at least the sun is out this morning and what snow that fell last night is going to melt off or sublimate back into the atmosphere. Just won't be detecting till the ground thaws back out a bit.
Oh well, spring is just around the corner.. we'll all be able to get back out and enjoy some detecting before too long.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

looks like the weather will be nice today, I'm going out to give it a go

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wtg. that's a lot of diggin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread