Back Surgery--- Need some good input and advice from TNET Members

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Re: Back Surgery--- Need some good input and advise from TNET Members

capt1989 said:
My nephew tried several different things and ended up with the radio waves or "white noise" device implanted in his back.
john

Just to be a little specific, I did not have anything implanted. What they did was damage the nerves around the painful area to stop the pain.

My major concern was what if something really bad happened like I broke a vertebra in that area, would I feel it? They assured me that I would. I can do a lot more stuff then I could before except lift heavy things.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

I have sciatica in the back from Degenerative disks. It effects mu legs and feet mostly. I got to the point 2 years ago, that I went for an epidural shot in the back. It helped for about 3 weeks, then returned. I then started seeing a chiropractor who also specializes in accupuncture. He helped me more then all the other things I tried. I still haven't had surgery yet, and I am not getting any worse, maybe even a little better. I rarely take pain medication anymore and still get around pretty good , except for stairs. I do walk with a little limp, but thats a small price to pay for what I have gone through. Would I have an operation? Sure, If it came down to not being able to walk. I am a few pounds overweight , but otherwise in pretty good health. I have L and L5 degenerative disks. Also what has helped me is to start using cod liver oil and glucosimime chrondroitin. You can regenerate those disks, but it takes time. I feel i'm getting stronger year by year. Good luck whatever you choose to do. The doctors told me that the success rate was about 30 percent. That's why I chose another way out.

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX

I've had two lower back surgeries on L4-L5 and L2-L3 due to degeneration and havent had any disc fused on either one. Both times they performed a procedure that is call a lamenectomy.The first one was a little over twelve years ago and the second one was seven years ago. I had put the first one off for about two years while doing the physical therapy, chiropractors, all the exercising, but it eventually ruptured. I'll never put one off.

Magic Fingers

My mum had the same stuff going on with her back that rockhound mentioned.
She had a procedure called an X Stop put in and she felt better the day of surgery.
It gave her so much relief she said.
Now she doesn't slow down....lol
This is what I found on-line about it.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/spinal-stenosis-surgery-x-stop

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

Research!! I looked at surgery almost 20 yrs ago, & opted to not go thru with it. happened to get an er doc that had the same problem, & he put me on excersize, anti-inflam.. & advised me against the knife. after 4 yrs of crawling to make it to the bathroom, missed work, & PAIN, I finally found a doc that helped. I still have to be careful, but I haul wood, take care of the horse, & can still get out for some diggin. really, it has been many years since it's bothered me enough to interfere with my life.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just want to say Thank You to all of those who replied.
Your post have giving me new alternative's
I only hope I make the right decision..

Thanks again... Bob

dimeaday

Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
quattro--EXII--Ace 250

Not advise, but personal observation, I have worked construction trades for most of my life, seems most people in that activity sooner or later have back problems, including myself.. Three people, my son in law being the latest dealing with work re-lated injury and at the mercy of workmans comp, have had surgery. Son in law is recovering from number five, bone grafts failed. hes been told he never should lift over 20 pounds, his back is rigid from the metal implants, and he has as much pain as he started out with. The other 2 one unable to work drawing social security disability now, the other.....All said if they had it to do over they would have gone another route.. But these are work re-lated and they had to do what workmans comp prescribed or lose it. Know several old men limping around flare up once in while, but at least they still getting around..dl il

BangTango

Feb 24, 2009
I would go and check out the site www.erasemybackpain.com The man there says if you buy his program and it doesn't work you will get a total refund. Also, have you seen a Chiropractor? they could do some flexion distraction on your back that would help with the pain. That is what I did after I was told I needed surgury and it took about eight months and I feel fine.
Good Luck!

Bang

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I've got quite the bad back and am only 32. My MRI showed I only have a couple good lower discs from degenerative disc disease (which everyone pretty much gets eventually). The doctor suggestly highly against surgery. I was given the back saver manual/pamplet by the docs at least 3 or 4 times, but never took the time to do the exercises. This past summer I found out that one of my legs was shorter by almost half and inch and that was making my back pain a lot worse. I got a shoe lift insert and that worked pretty good. What has made my back improve ten fold though is actually doing stretches and exercises. My wife got a Wii Fit video game system this past Fall and has me doing the yoga stretches and twists and all that stuff. Since then, knock on wood, my back has never felt better than it has in the past 4 years.

I suggest first that you check your legs. Everyone typically has one leg that is slightly longer than the other, but if the difference is large enough, it really can affect your posture, back, etc. Next, start doing back exercises and work outs. If you know someone who has the Wii Fit, give it a go. Otherwise, you may want to try scheduling a couple weeks of therapy somewhere to see how that works out for you. It is amazing how my back is not sore all the time like it used to be.

My back pain was steady and when it went out (about every 3-4 months with differing severities) I never found a pain killer that worked. Percocets was like candy and had about an hour long effect as I have a high tolerance to pain meds and the pain was so pulsating, nothing worked. I fought tooth and nail doing the back exercises and stretches, but now I realize I just made things harder on myself. Seriously give that a go for a couple months or more. If you see improvement, just keep it up. Fusing the discs is a drastic step that basically is 50/50. For a few, it has worked wonders, but it has not worked for just as many others. Your back will never be the same once it is done.

I've actually been able to metal detect pain free and without throwing my back out since this past Fall. Definitely try proper stretching and back exercises for a couple months before you decide on surgery. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread