Pennies

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Please post your opinion of why you think we find a higher percentage of pennies to other coins? Are there more of them in peoples pockets and when people drop them are they less likely to look for a penny than dime or quarter? Do kids drop the most, or adults? I could see finding lots of pennies years ago when they were still worth something, but one would think you'd find more nickels or dimes these days with inflation and all.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Well if you think about it, you get more pennies then any other coin in change. Like 29 cents is 4 pennies. Also people hate pennies and many throw them away because they don't want to carry them.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I've seen people in line at the grocery store drop pennies, (And know they dropped them) not even bother to pick them up. The other day I couldn't go detecting so I went to Starbuck's for a hot drink. Had some time to kill so I decided to walk to Lowe's for a look-around, (Yeah I know). I walked about 150 yards to Lowes and found 9 pennies in the parking lots headed to Lowe's!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see people throw pennies away even as of today. They just don't like to carry them. At work one I saw someone throw a coin up on the very top cabnet. I got a chair and climb up and hold and behold there was over $3 up there all in pennies. Don't know how long people been throwing them up there but they became mind...Matt

Jeff(or)

May 17, 2007
I the eary 60's my friend Steve and I would sit up in his tree house beside a horse pasture, and he would take penneys and his slingshot and try to hit squirrels. Somebody ever detects that place, they will wonder how all the penneys got there.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Chances are change from any transaction results in the following order w/regard to quantity.
cents
dimes
quarters
nickels

At any given time check the change in your pocket, the only two that usually trade places there numerically are dimes/quarters.

Got a vendoteria at work? Put a small box or can in there with a note saying "unwanted pennies" and see how fast you rack 'em up. It'll probably get snatched as soon as it gets half full but at least you'll prove someone appreciates the value of money and you'll be doing the mint a favor, saving them the cost of replacing tossed coins.

Now if we could get a tax break for returning coins to circulation some of us might actually show what we find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread