"Back to 1819 School " .. Twenty Cent Piece !!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Back to 1819 School " .. Twenty Cent Piece !!!

Sat mourning ; 5-8-10 hunt in the field was different , usually bugs drive me out of there , but today ,50 mph wind gusts made the fields I have been hunting , a dust bowl . I decided to go back to the school where I found some nice coppers and silver , years ago . Built in the 1800's & used to 1959, this old school , could provide some nice coins and relics ,but it has been pounded by many hunters since the 70's. Anything found today would be deep or in areas away from the building . Lots of new litter type junk & hot rock coal pieces , mask any deep coins .After a bunch of those zinckers and pull tabs , deep hit ... an Indian 8) 1875 ! Nice patina and in fine condition . Moved away from the building into the yard hoping to find more 125 year old lunch money. Dug some more junk and found where more coal was dumped .. ::) hot rock city . Moved near the woods "see pic " ..Indian 1876 . More wheats 1920 ,1957 , ,50 ,then a dateless toasted clad . Would this be a 1877 IH day :icon_scratch: 1966 dime , then a silver near where the out houses , were once standing. Seated quarter :hello2:. Surrounding the silver, was a bunch of rusted crap and wild rose bushes nearby..the thorns on these things can rip flesh ,which possibly kept most away . . The winds were getting crazy "40-50 mph gusts", so I left, . ..Later I am cleaning up the finds . The quartersize coin and it turns out to be different :dontknow: :icon_scratch: real different ..it's a twenty cent piece!!!!! 1875 S :headbang: The first I have ever seen ,let alone dug . Beautiful , condition ..sorry I can't get a clear shot of the mintmark S ..it is located above the letter Y in Twenty .. Lesson learned ,a site is never picked cleaned and dig the faint sounds . It may be the 1877 that is still out there ;D Thanks for stopping in , :icon_pirat: CMDdawg

Attachments

• 100_1838.jpg
    100_1838.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4,991
  • 100_2003.jpg
    100_2003.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 4,945
  • 100_1990.jpg
    100_1990.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,995
  • 100_1984.jpg
    100_1984.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4,975
  • 100_2006.jpg
    100_2006.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 4,984
  • 100_1983.jpg
    100_1983.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4,920
  • 100_1987.jpg
    100_1987.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4,958
  • 100_2007.jpg
    100_2007.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,394
Upvote 2

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Back to 1819 School " found lunch money .. Twenty Cent Piece

Holy Smokes!! You're on Fire! :o :thumbsup: :notworthy: Congrats

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

That is a super coin.

Only the second one I have seen in 10 yrs on the net. Very rare coin to come by.

Congrats

Jer

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with p2c, we will see more gold coins before you see another 20 center, congrats on a fantastic find Dawg!! personally I don't give banner votes unless it is really deserving, this is one of those! Congrats again Dawg :headbang:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Wow! A guy goes away for a few days, comes back and what does he see? A coin nobody ever finds! Congratulations on the Banner and even more, the coin!

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool! WTG diamonddawg!

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

halfdime said:
Wow! A guy goes away for a few days, comes back and what does he see? A coin nobody ever finds! Congratulations on the Banner and even more, the coin!
Thanks halfdime
SkyPirate said:
Very cool! WTG diamonddawg!
Thanks Sky Pirate, CMDdawg
allen said:
congrats on making the banner with that sweet coin !! :thumbsup:
Thanks ,Allen
detectahead said:
I agree with p2c, we will see more gold coins before you see another 20 center, congrats on a fantastic find Dawg!! personally I don't give banner votes unless it is really deserving, this is one of those! Congrats again Dawg :headbang:
Means a lot ..once in a lifetime dig ..One more 20 center ,has been found near here,last Oct. ,an 1875 ..this is a popular tourist destination, with many folks from Phila . passing through this area ,for the past 200 years . Thanks ,detectahead 8) CMDdawg
bigealive said:
excellent find... way to go!!!
Thanks bigealive
JerV3 said:
That is a super coin.

Only the second one I have seen in 10 yrs on the net. Very rare coin to come by.

Congrats

Jer
Thanks Jer .. there were over a million 1875 S minted , circulated , and some were lost ..
wyattrr said:
Holy Smokes!! You're on Fire! :o :thumbsup: :notworthy: Congrats
Thanks wyattrr :o
Bartman said:
Congrats on the banner and that nice coin. The twenty cent piece is a dream find for me!
Thanks Bartman ..dreams may come true when U least expect them too !! CMDdawg
RJGMC said:
GREAT!

Just saw your fantastic coin. I would have voted banner, but you were put up there already By a landslide!!!!

Good luck on finding a brother to that one.

Bob
Thanks Bob ..this is the brother of one that was found , last Oct . Mother Nature has closed the door on the unsearched part ..the rest is fair game :icon_pirat: CMDdawg Thanks everyone and to answer some PM's ..Yes , I have dug a few ,more rare, than this one ,first 20 center .. research ,and more research ..then search... I am still glad a" twenty center" was under my coil :headbang:

Attachments

• diamonddawg.jpg
    diamonddawg.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,991
  • diamonddawg.jpg
    diamonddawg.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,986

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: "Back to 1819 School " .. Twenty Cent Piece !!!

Great finds and pics .... congrats ! :hello:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

The twenty cent piece used to be at the top of my wish list before I switched to Colonial hunts. Nevertheless I would love to find one. I don't think I ever saw one posted here before. Congrats.
Chris

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN said:
Great finds and pics .... congrats ! :hello:
Thanks You HISPAN
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
The twenty cent piece used to be at the top of my wish list before I switched to Colonial hunts. Nevertheless I would love to find one. I don't think I ever saw one posted here before. Congrats.
Chris
Thanks Chris , just never know ??? some say : harder to find than a gold coin ..look at the banner coins , don't get me wrong , I would take a gold 2 .. :icon_pirat: CMDdawg
greg23 said:
there are 5 varities of this coin.
8) I have the eagle wearin' chaps variety ..Thank s EveryONE :thumbsup:

Attachments

• diamonddawg.jpg
    diamonddawg.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,673
  • diamonddawg.jpg
    diamonddawg.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,675

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Congrats!
That's a cool find and the first one I've ever seen.
Mike

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Mackaydon said:
This US 20-cent piece is certainly worthy of the banner. Issued for only four years and two of those years were proofs-only, the historic value of this coin and its rarity to find deserve the banner.
Great find!!
Don.....

Banner, banner, Banner!
To me, that's almost as rare as digging a gold coin.
Not that I've ever dug either.
Carl

The above posts say it all. In the past 50 years, I've only "read" of one md find to top this one!!
And that was a Pine Tree Shilling found in a SF park in the sixties. Don;t know how true the story was, but it sure got my attention. Basically what decided me to get a metal detector. (lol)

Congratulations!!! Definately BANNER!!

HH Eagle Down

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2

NICE FIND! We don't see many (if any) twenty centers! Thanks for showing us! :thumbsup: :hello2:

Treasure $ Trekkies

Mar 28, 2010
Miami Fla
Detector(s) used
whites, 2011 cion master, Whites MXT 300

WOW!! Thats just to cool .Never knew they had a 20 cent piece. you Rock !1 :headbang:

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

One of the cooler, and nicest coins I have seen on this forum. Thanks for the story and pics.Jon.

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EagleDown said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Mackaydon said:
This US 20-cent piece is certainly worthy of the banner. Issued for only four years and two of those years were proofs-only, the historic value of this coin and its rarity to find deserve the banner.
Great find!!
Don.....

Banner, banner, Banner!
To me, that's almost as rare as digging a gold coin.
Not that I've ever dug either.
Carl

The above posts say it all. In the past 50 years, I've only "read" of one md find to top this one!!
And that was a Pine Tree Shilling found in a SF park in the sixties. Don;t know how true the story was, but it sure got my attention. Basically what decided me to get a metal detector. (lol) ;D

Congratulations!!! Definately BANNER!!

HH Eagle Down
Ah Shucks ...Thanks EagleDown, the twenty center could be the the one that makes everything else I find from now on seem ,insignificant :-\
teleman 2525 said:
some very nice finds
Thanks teleman ..grateful for all replies . banner ..proud to see it up there
willpond said:
NICE FIND! We don't see many (if any) twenty centers! Thanks for showing us! :thumbsup: :hello2:
Thanks willpond I am most pleased that you and your pretty daughter ,Emily like the twenty ;D diamonddawg sends his best out to U guys http://[quote=Treasure $ Trekkies ]
WOW!! Thats just to cool .Never knew they had a 20 cent piece. you Rock !1 :headbang:
[/quote]Thanks Treasure Trekkie they had them ,now I was lucky to dig one 8) 8) 8) reverse eagle on these CMDdawg
pointdlr said:
One of the cooler, and nicest coins I have seen on this forum. Thanks for the story and pics.Jon.
Thanks Jon ..these are very cool and if it had a CC mintmark ..valuable ..like tens of thousands $$ I only collect what I dig so this one will be with me till ??? That's for all the kind words ,gang !!!! CMDdawg

Attachments

• diamonddawg.jpg
    diamonddawg.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 950
  • diamonddawg.jpg
    diamonddawg.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 941

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread