BACK TO FINDING THE GOLD OLD THINGS

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BACK TO FINDING THE GOOD OLD THINGS

Hello all! :hello:

My son and I got out for a nice long day of detecting and I got to pick the spot. We located what looked like an old residence on Google Earth which was located near the town of Amedee if you followed the old NCO Rail Road grade. The only problem was it was right next to the Amedee Air Field used by the army base. The property around the air strip was recently sold to a family friend and we were good to go. We get out after I got off work, make the 30 minute drive and walk in. After a while we locate what we are looking for just off the old grade. Broken purple glass, square nails and flat board with a dirt cellar.

We start working from the cellar out. Son makes the first find with the 1887-S Seated Dime. Then I get the old Homer Harmonica Piece which is in the shape of a Blimp!:icon_scratch: A first for us. A few old buttons, shell casings and the great sounds of "rivets"!!:BangHead: Lots of them!!! I finally find the 1903-S Quarter and 1902-S Dime when we were getting ready to leave!! Yes!!! Finally some "old" for our neck of the woods!! As we were making out way back to the rig; about 1.5 miles away, my son wanted to check to old telephone poles that had been put up when the NCO was built. He is the luckiest person I know cause he said, "Dad; check this out". I'll be darn if he didn't find an old W. Brookfield Pony about 5 feet from the old fallen pole line. To me that was the find of the day!!!

Finally with a few hours to spare, we run into the army base housing area for a quick swing and grab our usual wheat's and I'm lucky enough to snag the 1925 Buffalo!!! Not a bad day!!! Thanks for looking and be safe ya'll!!!

Attachments

• amedee_hotel_1880.jpg
    amedee_hotel_1880.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 070515a.jpg
    070515a.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 070515b.jpg
    070515b.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 070515c.jpg
    070515c.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 070515d.jpg
    070515d.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 070515e.jpg
    070515e.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 070515f.jpg
    070515f.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 070515g.jpg
    070515g.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 111
  • 070515h.jpg
    070515h.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 12

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BASQUE IM NOT EVEN GOING TO TRY TO PUT A LITTLE HUMOR TO THIS ONE. THAT HARMONICA IS AWESOME FIRST FOR ME. MAN THAT WILL LOOK NICE IN A SHOW CASE . DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO IS IN THE PHOTO ON IT. THATS A LOT OF FINDS FROM THAT SPOT SEEMS TO BE A HECK OF A SPOT AGAIN THAT HARMONICA IS SWEET.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BASQUE IM NOT EVEN GOING TO TRY TO PUT A LITTLE HUMOR TO THIS ONE. THAT HARMONICA IS AWESOME FIRST FOR ME. MAN THAT WILL LOOK NICE IN A SHOW CASE . DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO IS IN THE PHOTO ON IT. THATS A LOT OF FINDS FROM THAT SPOT SEEMS TO BE A HECK OF A SPOT AGAIN THAT HARMONICA IS SWEET.

From what I can see, the one side has a face with "Homer" underneath. The other side has what looks like a man with a captains hat. Haven't started cleaning it yet. To bad the reeds are gone. It's just the shell!!!! Letting her soak in some soapy water for the night!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ya go...what a sweet old relic, you guys are slaying it! There are different faces on both sides. Congrats. Sub 8-)
honer.jpg

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice intact harmonica and any day with "Seated" is just as good as gold for me too :occasion14: :metaldetector: :treasurechest: :headbang:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that harmonica is something else. I have never seen any thing quite like that one. The rest of your saves are super too.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You got some really killer finds... zeppelin harmonica.. seated and Barber coins, skeleton key. You guys really do well! Congrats on making me jealous!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! That harmonica is something else. Great saves on the silver as well! Looks like a great spot!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found some interesting items there :thumbsup: What's a "W. Brookfield Pony?"

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found some interesting items there :thumbsup: What's a "W. Brookfield Pony?"

It's the green insulator. The old line was put up in 1890 when the railroad was extended through this area.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Brabers and seated! The world was very different when those coins were circulating.
Butch Cassidy and Pancho Villa were still making a ruckus in the old west! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions