Backpackable MD

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector (explorer) can be taken apart into 3 pieces pretty easily and would fit into most backpacks I would assume.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
My Tesoro Deleon could be packed due to light weight & small size.

My older White's Coinmaster 5.....ehhhhhhh, not so much :D

Jay

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't think of many reasons to backpack a detector unless you're looking for minerals - gold for example. Otherwise it's kind of hard to think what kind of site could have had enough traffic in the past to "deposit" the targets and yet has to be backpacked to today. If I'm wrong, two of the three below detectors would still be interesting,

Assuming that's the case, you will want something light that ground balances and is sensitive to gold. ML Xterra 70 comes to mind, even the detector "head" comes off the stem for easy packing and with the right coils it's good for gold.

Another machine which is super light would be a Tesoro Vaquero, it's a general purpose machine, but sensitive to small gold as well. Another great choice for gold and other metals would be a Tesoro Diablo Micromax, but these are really hard to locate since they were only in production for 2 or 3 years. Lots of folks have apparently not heard of them or confuse them with other Tesoro general purpose machines. It's an all metal only dedicated gold machine but also useful for relic hunting in all metal.

Attachments

• diablo.jpg
    diablo.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 389

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick K said:
Can't think of many reasons to backpack a detector unless you're looking for minerals - gold for example.  Otherwise it's kind of hard to think what kind of site could have had enough traffic in the past to "deposit" the targets and yet has to be backpacked to today.

You're right.  Usually there is little reason to--but if someone were bicycling to a site--or riding on a moped or motorcycle to save on gas money, a backpack would be good...

There have been some sites this summer that I wish I could've taken my machine in a backpack--hiking a half a mile through dense woods and trying to hold a shovel and GPS unit too.

-Buckleboy

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that case, my current personal favorite lightweight detector is the Tesoro Compadre. No bells, no whistles, just turn it on and it finds stuff!!!

It weighs next to nothing, runs forever on one 9v battery and has the ability to find treasure amongst trash which is the envy of many top of the line machines. costs about $150 or so, but use ones go for $100 - $125.

OP
OP
WhiteCountyPaleo

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Sometimes to get to old spots out back your using both hands to grab trees to pull you up
banks. Or even walking through deep creeks. Say you gotta walk just a couple miles. Or any
other MDers seeing you walk in with a big long MD or even a big carrying case will put 2
and 2 together and start asking questions.

OP
OP
WhiteCountyPaleo

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
BuckleBoy said:
Rick K said:
Can't think of many reasons to backpack a detector unless you're looking for minerals - gold for example. Otherwise it's kind of hard to think what kind of site could have had enough traffic in the past to "deposit" the targets and yet has to be backpacked to today.

You're right. Usually there is little reason to--but if someone were bicycling to a site--or riding on a moped or motorcycle to save on gas money, a backpack would be good...

There have been some sites this summer that I wish I could've taken my machine in a backpack--hiking a half a mile through dense woods and trying to hold a shovel and GPS unit too.

Buckleboy

At the end of your statement is what I'm getting at Buckleboy. The problem I'm seeing is the
Brain and arm rest area of most MDs, since they're looking like they can't shorten up without
cutting the pipe and making an adapter. When I get my exlporer se I think it might be pretty
tough to do that.

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
I backpack my detector all the time to cellar holes and mill sites that are a good distance in the woods. I have a fisher 1236x2, 2 pieces. The brain and the coil fit in the pack and I let the two tubes stick out the top. I keep the zippers clozed by attaching a small carabiner in the zipper holes, this keeps the zippers from opening from the weight of the tubes. This is a standard size backpack also. I keep all my digging tools, water and food in the pack.

Richard

OP
OP
WhiteCountyPaleo

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
ruccello said:
I backpack my detector all the time to cellar holes and mill sites that are a good distance in the woods. I have a fisher 1236x2, 2 pieces. The brain and the coil fit in the pack and I let the two tubes stick out the top. I keep the zippers clozed by attaching a small carabiner in the zipper holes, this keeps the zippers from opening from the weight of the tubes. This is a standard size backpack also. I keep all my digging tools, water and food in the pack.

Richard

Yeah it's probably gonna have to stick out the top.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I backpack my Tesoros regularly into old mining and logging camps as well as remote homesteads. They breakdown into 3 easy pieces and are light weight with good battery life from a single 9volt.
HH
BB

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most detectors will fit into one of those bags the folding chairs comes in. It has a shoulder strap on them so easy to carry. As to why backpack a detector well I can tell you that some of the hunting grounds I cover packing one is a must. I am going through thick brush, through barbwire fences up and down inclines and trying to carry one assembled through the thick is difficult to say the least. Its a bit of a pain to pack it, unpack it and repack it, but it does make it a lot easier than fighting the thorns, cactus and such. I am packing a sovereign around in one of the chair bags so it works great for me. I just have the coil sticking out the end of the bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread