Jim, Easy, Willy, Sandman, Whomever--Any Word On The New Whites PI?

OP
OP
B

BestAntiquities

Jul 29, 2008
So they are actually selling these now? I'll have to check out KellyCo to see if they're posted.

I've tried the Infinium LS and that's a very good PI but stronger discrimination is what's wanted by everybody and his brother plus their sister.

OP
OP
B

BestAntiquities

Jul 29, 2008
I guess there's not much happening with the new Whites PI.

Wasn't there a fellow making a dirt devil PI or something? What ever happened to him and it?

Thanks again Jim.

Paul

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had a chance yet to play with the Dual field jobbie, but will report when I do. It will be hard to set aside the Excal to play with a PI. I am starting to get stuff together to waterproof a Sov GT so I can use a Wot coil in the water at a few places I know about.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
There was a lot of discussion of White's TDI on the following forums.

http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/index.html

http://tdi.invisionplus.net/?mforum=tdi&s=7a3a21fc1e7894491788d20fb1125cb8&showforum=3

http://www.goldplacer.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

What created the initial buzz was the TDI had the same traits of the GS5 which was only know to a few users.
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/msg/1211622470.html

In that one could use the TDI in a coin shooting mode for high conductor coins and almost eliminate all iron targets as well as
small aluminium such as pull tabs. You don't dig bottle caps or pull tabs in this setting.
It is an unbalanced ground mode with reduced depth but with a 40 coin versus 10 trash target ratio it caught a lot of
people by surprise. You have to remember this is a PI and not a VLF. You can also distinguish large ferrous items from
non ferrous items- tin cans versus Al cans or iron bars from gold bars(He, He).
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/msg/1211955225.html

Where the TDI shined was in highly mineralized ground where VLFs had trouble with depth. The parks Steve and Reg detected with
the GS5 and TDI suddenly produced silver which was beyond the depth of VLFs in highly mineralized ground. In addition George K.
with the TDI totally whacked the VLFs in "hot" ground in CW sites which was noticed by a lot of relic hunters.

The TDI was never meant to be a coin machine but a gold nugget and relic machine.

I would highly recommend one if you are a CW relic hunter and hunt in "hot" ground. It is not for everyone and I probably
would recommend one only for experienced users.

Regarding the Pulse Devil or the most recent variety the Nemesis. Dave Emery(inventor) has not been on the forums for a while now.
He and his wife have had severe health issues(emergency room visits). I wish the best for Dave and understand where his priorities lie.

George

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
The reason so few posts exist on the PulseScan TDI is becasue only a few have been released. But when they are released in quantity, you will hear a lot more good stuff. I have put teh TDI to serious use, and I really like it. Why? Stability, for one thing. The TDI can be productivity used near EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) which who render traditional PI's totally useless. Fact is, I can even oprerate a TDI in my house, near power lines and a cell tower, which would be totally impossible with a traditional PI. Sensitivity is another reason I like it. It can find flat nuggets as small as 2.5 grains with the TDI, using the 12" Dual Field coil. You can't do that with traditional PI's. It also has the abiltity to REJECT low (or high) conductivity targets, or to accept both types of targets. It rejects iron FAR better than any other traditional PI. The new, patent-pending Dual Field coil incorporates both a small and a large coil into one, with both coils operating simulaaneously. In teh case of the 12" Dual Field, a 12" and a 6" coil are combined, thus you get the depth of a 12" coil with the sensitivity of a 6" coil. Pretty cool. Personally, I really like the optional 8" Dual Field, which combines an 8" coil with a 4" one. No other brand of PI has the Dual Field technology. Also, with the TDI you can adjust operating frequency, pulse delay, manually ground balance, and easily chest mount it, too. The TDI is a total winner. Hope this helps; HH Jim

OP
OP
B

BestAntiquities

Jul 29, 2008
Sandman said:
I haven't had a chance yet to play with the Dual field jobbie, but will report when I do. It will be hard to set aside the Excal to play with a PI. I am starting to get stuff together to waterproof a Sov GT so I can use a Wot coil in the water at a few places I know about.

Now that's an interesting concept! A GT with WOT in the water 8) I've used the GT with the 15 inch WOT for land hunting. Personally I like the 10 inch stock Tornado better. I'm different I guess cause most people seem to love the WOT. Maybe I just didn't understand it? I hated pinpointing with it and I didn't seem to find as much with it either. Now that Tornado was sweet city all the way. She pinpointed dead on and was super deep.

OP
OP
B

BestAntiquities

Jul 29, 2008
bakergeol said:
There was a lot of discussion of White's TDI on the following forums.

Regarding the Pulse Devil or the most recent variety the Nemesis. Dave Emery(inventor) has not been on the forums for a while now.
He and his wife have had severe health issues(emergency room visits). I wish the best for Dave and understand where his priorities lie.

George

Thanks much George!

Too bad about Dave. I wondered what had happened to him.

But we sure do need something new in metal detectors. With each new VLF machine I buy I see same-o-same-o, know what I mean?

There is lots out there to find but it's masked with trash or on edge deeper than a VLF can reach it.

In mild soils the Tejon and Nautilus IIB can be deep and I've used them at sites thought totally worthless anymore. From them I've dug relics and coins in the 10-14 inch range but these are extreme exceptions I normally don't even mention. The soils were almost blow sand, the weather near perfect, and at one point I was using the Nautilus 15 inch coil listening for the slightest whisper.

I write this to you and don't like to even bring it up to others least we engage in fantastic depth tales, etc. But, from those very few odd super deep find experiences I learned that there's great stuff out there beyond the normal depth of VLF machines. Most stuff is 5-7 inches down but there are those mega deep goodies too. They're in that maybe 10% category.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's an interesting concept! A GT with WOT in the water I've used the GT with the 15 inch WOT for land hunting. Personally I like the 10 inch stock Tornado better. I'm different I guess cause most people seem to love the WOT. Maybe I just didn't understand it? I hated pinpointing with it and I didn't seem to find as much with it either. Now that Tornado was sweet city all the way. She pinpointed dead on and was super deep.

Pinpointing is a snap if you only wiggle the coil as you pull it back. When the sound stops, slowly push it forward till you hear the sound and the target is just off the tip. Lots faster than X'ing the target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread