Backyard finds..and zinc penny question

Steeler Fan

Apr 3, 2005
After being out of the hobby for several years, I broke out my Classic IDX and hit the backyard...the house was built about 15 or so years ago, so I am not expecting to find anything old.
I managed to find 28 cents in about 30 minutes. I found 3 pennies, 3 nickels and 1 dime. Two of the pennies were those dreaded zinc pennies! I really despise them, but a find is still a find. They are corroded so badly, that they are hardly recognizeable. >:(

What do you guys and gals do with those dreaded zinc pennies? Will the mint or local bank actually exchange them for spendable pennies?

Just curious ???

Steeler Fan

Upvote 0

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Have quite a collection of zinc pennies that I found without a detector which I keep. Not many young folks know that pennies where once made of zinc.

OP
OP
Steeler Fan

Steeler Fan

Apr 3, 2005
oops! Let me make sure that everyone knows that I am referring to the NEW pennies...not the 1943 zinc pennies ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the only way you can get real pennies is to buy rolls of pennies at the bank and go through every one and pick out the "real" ones. Ditto other coins. I read recently where someone bought several rolls of quarters and did find some silver rolled in that were not clad. He/she hit the jackpot on a couple of rolls and actually made a few bucks. That is an afwul lot of trouble to go to to make it worth your time, although some would argue the same about detecting and digging them up instead!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zink/junk pennies are a joke >:(

I'd like to meet the guy who came up with THAT idea!

I like member alleng's idea, and I do the same, just mix them in with good pennies and roll them up!

That'll teach em, and maybe they'll quit making them!! lol

silverhunter/dowser

Oct 5, 2004
columbia sc
What are the dates on the modern zink i have been hunting a place were there is is a little older brick house and a modern trailer used to be beside it. around the brick house most of them come up all right but were the trailer was they allmost look like their being eaten.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread