monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used that title from an old cowboy movie, some will have seen it some will not. Last weekend I went to my creek on one of my hunting leases and started out finding pottery ,worked stone and then this chipped celt. Rodney 7-2-16 014.JPG It was very hot and humid and the hogs had torn up every rock bar that I came to. Rodney 7-2-16 005.JPG Well when given your plans for a hunt gets change, change for the hunt. This is what a rock bar looked like before and after I made adjustments to them. Rodney 7-2-16 008.JPG Rodney 7-2-16 009.JPG I found some nice pottery sherds with some neat designs along with some worked stone. Rodney 7-2-16 007.JPG Rodney 7-2-16 001.JPG Rodney 7-2-16 003.JPG

On a different note here are the tools of my trade, they work for me in creeks , fields are where ever and some of you have others that work for you, but I thought this may give others an idea. Rodney 7-2-16 010.JPG My day turned bad real quick, I had only gone about a 100yrds up the creek and while trying to go around a log jam I lost my footing and took a 10ft plunge down to the creek bottom and landed on my right knee mostly. For what seemed like a life time but was only about 3 min. my right leg would not move and I could not get up due to pain in my hip joint. After getting myself back in tune with the world, I had to cut a limb and make a crutch to help me walk out. What on the average takes me 30min. to walk out took me 2hrs. Drive myself home , next day went to hospital and nothing was broken just banged up real good. At one time in the woods I thought of trying 911 but didn't, I say all of this so for all of you to have a back up plan for help , tell someone where you are going, always carry a cell phone and other first aid items. A good day can turn bad in a blink of an eye.

Upvote 0

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey monsterrack!! Sorry to hear about your fall and hope you are ok!! Good to hear from you though!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
I'm glad it was no worse than it was. You have good advice. My wife always wants to know where I am so when I get to where I'm going I text her where I am and send her my location. I like your celt. It looks like a good one.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! So glad you're ok! You are so lucky it isn't worse. Now I'm for sure carrying my cell next time I go out. That's a great find on the celt and pottery. Very unique and pretty designs on the pottery and if I found it here it would be from the Mississippian time period. When I first found pottery and was researching about it I found an article that said if there were designs and artwork on them then the people were living a good and happy life and had time to make them artistic and if the pottery was plain they were struggling and had no time for artwork. I think the people that lived here in my area were fairly happy because every shard I find has designs on it. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't break anything and be careful out there!

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This style of pottery is what we call Marksville-Coles Creek incised Pottery: The Marksville culture was an archaeological culture in the lower Lower Mississippi valley, Yazoo valley, and Tensas valley areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Arkansas and extended eastward along the Gulf Coast to the Mobile Bay area, from 100 BCE to 400 CE. This culture takes its name from the Marksville Prehistoric Indian Site in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana. Marksville Culture was contemporaneous with the Hopewell cultures of Ohio and Illinois. It evolved from the earlier Tchefuncte culture and into the Baytown and Troyville cultures and later the Coles Creek and Plum Bayou cultures. It is considered ancestral to the Natchez and Taensa people. I agree with the point of living a good life and not having to move around a lot.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your mishap, will keep you in my prayers (also your wife). As you are aware, last summer I had two somewhat similar incidents but involving my shoulder. I am still recovering from my second shoulder surgery and slowly getting much better.
Looks like you have a hog problem down there, I sure would love to help out if I could. Also, nice looking artifact you found! :thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you made it out okay and found some nice piece to boot. I always make sure my wife knows exactly where I will be and I go somewhere else I let her know before I get there. After slicing my arm wide open on the river a few years back I go nowhere without telling her where I'll be.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you said Taensa I did a double take as Tanasqui was the name for Tennessee. You found a nice little celt and those Hogs are a mess I am sure. Great advice about being safe and letting someone know where you are at. I guess you know that as a hunter already. Am glad you made it out ok. I have been in your shoes and having to get back out. Better safe then sorry. Enjoyed your post!
HH
TnMtns

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you got out ok. We all need to have benedril for bee sting meds. The ground yellow jacket season is now especially where there is lots of sand. Be safe.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang man that is the story I hope to never tell. I took a swim last year by mistake and killed my phone so I now use a phone bag just in case I ever do it again and just in case I ever hurt myself and need to call for help its safe in the bag. There is always that chance of a slip and fall that we never want to think about but it happens with mud and slippery rocks. Im sure we all have fallen at least once. I myself more than once but dont want to say how many times but never hurt myself. Hope you were able to get back and collect your things before they disappear and walk off. Nice finds and get better.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
What doesn't kill you only makes you sore... Glad your OK. Nice finds & pics as always. Take care

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang man that is the story I hope to never tell. I took a swim last year by mistake and killed my phone so I now use a phone bag just in case I ever do it again and just in case I ever hurt myself and need to call for help its safe in the bag. There is always that chance of a slip and fall that we never want to think about but it happens with mud and slippery rocks. Im sure we all have fallen at least once. I myself more than once but dont want to say how many times but never hurt myself. Hope you were able to get back and collect your things before they disappear and walk off. Nice finds and get better.

I have taken a lot of falls hunting artifacts, but never one this hard on the Ole body. It's something that can happen anywhere and at anytime so one needs to always think of what if this happens what would I do. My stuff left the creek with me, in and on my backpack, I'm a die hard artifact hunter so I need my tools and one hard rain an they would have been gone. I'm back in the truck, it just takes me a little longer getting in and out of it with a bum knee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread