Bad Loop or.......?

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
I Was using an older model whites eagle spectrum in the US, it was working like a champ, brought it overseas to the Philippines, and I can't get it to work properly. I was wondering if it might be a problem with the loop (the original) when you turn the machine on it goes to battery check, OK then present program, Ok, then select program (no matter which one I select, coin/jewelry beach, relic) it then requires you to raise it to waist level and push enter to ground balance, when this is done a series of beeps (four) sounds, and it does nothing. It should read "place loop on ground and press enter) but the same read out appears(raise loop to waist level and push enter) no matter how many times you push enter.

Passing any kind of metal over the loop gives no read out or audio signal.

I not near any electrical interference, I'm in the middle of a banana field I have dug before with another detector.

I'm think it is the loop that finally gave out or was somehow damaged during the long flight, there is absolutely no one in the entire country qualified to work on a whites. I was hoping someone experienced in these matters on the board might
have an educated opinion and would save me from sending the machine back to the US to examine, only to find it is a bad lop which is easily replaced.

Thank for any input

The flood City Kid

occupant

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
Sounds like the detector is not 'reading' the coil. Might want to use an ohm meter to check for a broken connection in the cable or connector. You should find that, at the coil connector two pins should show some low value of resistance, 8 or 10 Ohms, for instance. Two other pins will show a higher resistance, 60 or 70 Ohms, or so. If this doesn't check out, have a look at the area where the cable wires are soldered to the connector pins. Could have a broken wire at the connection, or somewhere along the length of cable. Hope it's something simple, like this.
HH
Roger in VA

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I had an XLT that wouldn't operate & it was because the mode switch was sticking between all metal & disc. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread