What is happening when I raise the coil off the ground & signal gets stronger?

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is happening when I raise the coil off the ground & signal gets stronger?

This happens sometimes and drives me nuts. I get a signal for a target, go into pinpoint mode and lifting the coil off the ground makes the signal louder. Pretty sure the target isn't floating around in the air.
With the settings on a Minelab Xterra 705, I'm already in the best modes for eliminating interference.
Any clues what causes this and how to adjust to avoid it?

Thanks,
Born Free

Re: What is happening when I raise the coil off the ground & signal gets stronger?

I don't know anything about the Minelab Xtera 705 but does it have manual ground balance or automatic? Perhaps it is a ground balancing anomoly. Do you use an all metal mode with constant hum or is it a silent search discrimination mode? The reason why I ask is because my Vaquero can do this if it isn't ground balanced correctly and I am in all metal mode.

But I'll let the real experts chime in.

Re: What is happening when I raise the coil off the ground & signal gets stronger?

I don't know anything about the Minelab Xtera 705 but does it have manual ground balance or automatic? Perhaps it is a ground balancing anomoly. Do you use an all metal mode with constant hum or is it a silent search discrimination mode? The reason why I ask is because my Vaquero can do this if it isn't ground balanced correctly and I am in all metal mode.

Come to think of it, it happened while I was in pinpoint and pinpoint is the all metal mode. I'll try re-ground balancing but in all metal, then see if it happens again.
Thanks!

I believe that MTS hit it on the head, ground balancing in all metal will most likely help! :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

Of course you need to be certain that the coil is on the ground when you press the pinpoint button as well, else a lot of wacky things can happen!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back