Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could be 90% certain on coins, but in my experience with the Equinox so far the average has been a lot lower. Only with some solid-sounding high-conductors do I feel 90% certain; otherwise, in the trashy places I have been hunting, it is just as likely if not more that I'll be finding a bent, rusty nail, alum. bottlecap or other trash. As for nickels, those are my pet peeve. I can get a 13, even one that's solid, and still it's more likely to be a pull tab. I know others are reporting much better results, but that's been my experience, to the point that I've generally stopped digging 13's. I still like the Equinox for its speed and better separation, but I don't find its TID or depth numbers reliable; and unless I get a lot better at using it, the Equinox won't come close to replacing my Etrac.
I had the exact same experience first time out. I was surprised at the difference just one more hunt made. I have adjusted tones and tone break in 5 tones park2 program and had much better luck. I also use recovery speed of at least 6 at all times in trashy areas. My coin to trash ratio was doubled on my second hunt. I also use all metal mode to double check iffy targets which helps too. You really do have to start putting the whole picture together with tone and VDI to get a good idea what to dig. I am still struggling with 13 VDI and nickels. I find that if it doesn't at least hit 12 once or twice it is a pop tab. Solid 13-15 has been trash 100% of the time for me. I did notice VDI and tone in other stock programs like field are different and may help sniff out nickel vs pull tab but I have not tested that theory too much yet.

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I came from the Teknetics T2 and was spoiled by its ergonomics. My EQX feels front heavy and the coil is much fatter then I'm used to. Corn stalks are more difficult now...BUT having said that I would not go back to the T2. The nox is ridiculously deep.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels not ID'ing correctly......c'mon guys this is nothing new!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokey, did you get the Equinox 600 or the 800 model? I am considering a little down the road getting the 600 as going wireless isn't a big deal to me. I'd rather have the advantage of using different headphones of my choice. Have you found the Equinox to be good on CW relics thus far?

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey, did you get the Equinox 600 or the 800 model? I am considering a little down the road getting the 600 as going wireless isn't a big deal to me. I'd rather have the advantage of using different headphones of my choice. Have you found the Equinox to be good on CW relics thus far?

Unless I'm mistaken, Smokey didn't get either. He's waiting for the new and improved model next year.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly they are new to Metal Detecting LOL.
When has a Metal Detector ever let you only dig treasure and no trash hehe.
Just the amount of full size shovels in Public Parks in youtube videos tells me a lot of noobs ran out and bought a detector.

Nickels not ID'ing correctly......c'mon guys this is nothing new!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smokey did join the Minelab dark side. Smokey can tell you why.

Regarding plugging in your favorite headphones or having a choice, that’s why Minelab includes the WM08 module with the 800, so you can use the headphones of your choice and go wireless at the same time. Being untethered to the detector is great, especially if you are doing some backwoods detecting.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find the wireless headphones that came with the 800 to bad the waves were crashing and I could still hear my targets.
I actually will use them until the water proof grey ghost hit the market.

Smokey did join the Minelab dark side. Smokey can tell you why.

Regarding plugging in your favorite headphones or having a choice, that’s why Minelab includes the WM08 module with the 800, so you can use the headphones of your choice and go wireless at the same time. Being untethered to the detector is great, especially if you are doing some backwoods detecting.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, it's brand new and the handful of users who have received one already have not had enough time behind the wheel to make any definitive conclusions. I do believe Minelab has some of the best circuitry in the business, but the ultimate test will be a year from now to uncover any of those problems that may come about like cracked coil ears, etc. I do hope this Minelab is a winner, as i love my Safari and the excal....well we have a love/hate relationship ;}

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is true! I have turned to the dark side. Not really a dark side. I got up way too early yesterday. I got bored. There were no Revolutionary War buttons on Ebay to buy. I read Vferrari's report on the beach. Well, the closest beach is not very good for shallow water hunting, it drops off too quickly there, so the EQ would not be suitable there. I had decided just to wait for awhile. I am NOT standing in line to buy any stupid metal detector. I do very well with what I have. HOWEVER, I was thinking of the recent storms and some summer beach digs, as I don't go in the woods in the summer due to bee allergy. That will ruin your whole day.

So, being bored, and V, this is your fault. I accidentally checked the Cabella's website and the 600 was in stock so I bought one on a whim. Quick and simple. A whim. It has been shipped.

Somewhere in the thought process I figured there were three places I could go about 150 miles from here with salt water tidal pools and shallow beaches I could use it at. The Deus will still be my primary machine for everything else. So this is a special use machine. If it does not live up to expectations I will sell it before the end of the spring. When I swung one I STILL found it to be nose heavy, and with the cat arthritis, and a pound heavier than the Deus, it will be the special use machine. The Deus sucks gold and silver from the dry and upper wet sand deeper than perdition, so this will be one of my two special use machines. Wet gently sloping salt water beaches only.

A whim. Pure and simple. And next year when the competition ramps up, who knows?

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good for you Smokey, I've been seeing the 600 on cabelas as well, but getting frustrated, as I tried to buy from cabelas but they don't ship to Canada, and cabelas Canada are useless, and don't list any minelab full stop.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew I would get blamed for that. Lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ok, on the 22nd we'll get to our secret destination EARLY and test out one spot. Should be interesting.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Is this the Equinox-Deus bake-off we've all been waiting for? :laughing7: You guys should be putting this on pay-per-view. You'd make a fortune !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is. Heavily hunted for FIFTY plus years. Horrid red Virginia dirt. Sometimes the little iron ore crystals just lie there in rivulets in fields. Gold in them thar rocks. Which are also hot rocks. Makes most boys and girls run away and not detect in horror. Every machine in the universe has hunted it. Huts have been dug out over 40 years ago. Looks in some places like Crater of the Moon National Park.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it is true! I have turned to the dark side. Not really a dark side. I got up way too early yesterday. I got bored. There were no Revolutionary War buttons on Ebay to buy. I read Vferrari's report on the beach. Well, the closest beach is not very good for shallow water hunting, it drops off too quickly there, so the EQ would not be suitable there. I had decided just to wait for awhile. I am NOT standing in line to buy any stupid metal detector. I do very well with what I have. HOWEVER, I was thinking of the recent storms and some summer beach digs, as I don't go in the woods in the summer due to bee allergy. That will ruin your whole day.

So, being bored, and V, this is your fault. I accidentally checked the Cabella's website and the 600 was in stock so I bought one on a whim. Quick and simple. A whim. It has been shipped.

Somewhere in the thought process I figured there were three places I could go about 150 miles from here with salt water tidal pools and shallow beaches I could use it at. The Deus will still be my primary machine for everything else. So this is a special use machine. If it does not live up to expectations I will sell it before the end of the spring. When I swung one I STILL found it to be nose heavy, and with the cat arthritis, and a pound heavier than the Deus, it will be the special use machine. The Deus sucks gold and silver from the dry and upper wet sand deeper than perdition, so this will be one of my two special use machines. Wet gently sloping salt water beaches only.

A whim. Pure and simple. And next year when the competition ramps up, who knows?

"Stupid metal detector"? Frankly, I'm shocked:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions