Bad points about the Equinox series

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Going to do just that this weekend (power lines).

I look forward to hearing your findings, I asked this question days ago, wondering if noise cancel in auto mode was up to the job, but the question got lost in the thread
The reason I'm asking about auto is for the 600 machines ( I have 2 on order)

Last edited:

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@vferrari So maybe you can also try finger rings "on the edge", I found another video which is not very advantageous for the Equinox:

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jacza I watched your vid a few days ago, and I get the impression you don't like the nox but like the kruzer, it's a good time to sell the nox and get your brass back, I would buy it from you if I were still in the UK. I don't think your going to be alone with not liking it, as I won't suit everyone's expectations

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those on the fence with the kruzer and nox, i say buy them both. Its still cheaper than a CTX-3030. You can then figure out which one fits you better and you can keep the other as a backup.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
In my neighborhood we have a coffee shop that sells the worlds best coffee It's ok.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacza I watched your vid a few days ago, and I get the impression you don't like the nox but like the kruzer, it's a good time to sell the nox and get your brass back, I would buy it from you if I were still in the UK. I don't think your going to be alone with not liking it, as I won't suit everyone's expectations

No, I'm still having a Fisher F11 and just looking for a new detector. At the moment my decision is between Multi Kruzer and Equinox 800, both seem to be interesting multi-frequency machines, I was also looking for Deus XP but it's somehow too expensive now. Equinox has a nice display and I was looking forward to multi-frequency mode with up to 40 kHz, but Multi Kruzer seems to perform better and has a better price, as far as I've seen now.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
To those on the fence with the kruzer and nox, i say buy them both. Its still cheaper than a CTX-3030. You can then figure out which one fits you better and you can keep the other as a backup.

Part of me likes your idea. The other part doesn’t know what to think.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Escape...I guess what i am saying is, every detector has its good and bad points. Every person is looking for something different and i don't think any one detector will do everything we want it to do. Case in point. I never had an issue with my E-trac around power lines but my Impact gives me fits. If i still had my E-trac, i would use it in areas where my Impact is weak and vise versa.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari nailed it. I believe they wanted to make something that would challenge some of the Garrett machines. Only a few negatives. I did get to swing one, it's nose heavy. Also, from what I've seen, the meter does jump around a lot so not digging iffy targets is going to lose good stuff for you. If I didn't dig the iffy ones, I would probably not have much of a collection. Will be a good machine. It will not walk on water.

Nox challenges Deus too. Nox supreme better mixed site history detector to use.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I watched the video, and I did see what it was pointing out, having said that, I've found that on any machine I have used, almost anything on edge might only give a few small high pitch "squeaks", but I also always then sweep the coil over that spot in the other direction, sometimes just that can make a difference. Looking at the width of the ring, I might have expected a little better? response, but there may of been other factors involved I/we may not be aware of.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil shape

What about the coil shape? I think an elliptical or more narrow coil is better in difficult terrain and maybe has better target separation, for Equinox only a standard 11 inch round coil, an elliptical but big 15 inch DD coil and a small round 6 inch DD coil are available. None of them is one I really like. Or are there any other advantages for the round coil?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@vferrari So maybe you can also try finger rings "on the edge", I found another video which is not very advantageous for the Equinox:

I noticed in the video they only scanned from one direction. If they were to work their way around the Target scanning from multiple directions, you'll usually get better results.

Last edited:

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I won't receive my Equinox for a couple more hours yet, I can say already that I don't like the straight rod. If it's also true that it is not waterproof without the headphones, I won't like that. I don't like hardwired batteries. I do like magnetic charging. I thought it was genius on my MacBooks, and like the idea for anything rechargeable. So many people ripped out ports tripping on cords with other electronics. I don't like how Minelab does it's own wireless. Plugging a cable into another contraption is only mildly better than plugging it into the machine, and I guess to really get wet you may need wired headphones anyway. Finally, the arm rest. They are crappy and unimaginative on nearly every machine, so I can't really say that's specific to this machine, but it looks like it came straight off a Bounty Hunter .These are things I'm pretty sure I won't like, but I'll report back after I've had it in my hands for some time. Performance wise I think I'll love it, with some quirks too I'm sure.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a side note on the Kruzers, I'm sorry to say it because I know they tried to create a set of machines utilizing customer feedback and interaction, which most manufacturers don't do, or do well, but those machines are too little, too late at their price points. Minelab sandbagged everyone with the Equinox. Anything less will have to cost less to survive

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I might buy one for the wife you never know when one day she might say ok I’ll come detecting with you :))))))

That's a great idea, I have done that on more than one occasion myself, in fact I bought her the AT Pro when they came out, and later on, being the guy I am, also got her a set of Grey Ghost waterproof headphones for it as well. Now, she does not metal detect, but has NO problem having me borrow them ANY TIME I WANT. In fact, she is so good about that, I will be buying my wife a Equinox very soon, because that's just the kind of guy I am. I often tell her that she should dig out those lucky stars she has out in the garage somewhere, and thank them for having married me. Hmmmm, I think the 6" coil would make a great anniversary gift. Life is good.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both and only have 2 trips with the 600 and my first trip with the 800 is tomorrow. Where I detect I have noticed a lot of EMI which I could not get the 600 to noise cancel out I hope the manual noise cancel on the 800 is better but wont know till Sat. I believe the EMI is coming from a couple of large hotels and definitely coming from a pier

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
☠ Cipher;5733615 said:
As a side note on the Kruzers, I'm sorry to say it because I know they tried to create a set of machines utilizing customer feedback and interaction, which most manufacturers don't do, or do well, but those machines are too little, too late at their price points. Minelab sandbagged everyone with the Equinox. Anything less will have to cost less to survive

That sounds very confident for the defects found. I can only say that in german detector forum we have a more critical view of the Equinox, which has failed in many points for us.

By the way, the ring was found with the CTX 3030:

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What!! Come on Minelab, No "hard copy" of a instruction manual?, I LIKE having "printed" material in hand to read, and with a new machine in the field, I LIKE having "printed" material in hand to refer to. Does everything now have to be "PDF", Smart phone, internet, text, twitter, tweeting, face book, you tube etc. etc. Sometimes having alittle printed material in hand is best. Again, come on Minelab, Really?

Its a cost savings, I'm sure. Why send a file to the printer when they can send a file to the end-user and let you print it out at your expense if you want a hard copy? If you have, or get get use of a printer or copy machine with duplex printing, you can print that pdf out so it can be stapled together like a real manual. Or you can 3-hole punch it and put it into a binder.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The German metal detecting forum more critical? Want to elaborate? Seems like it should be a good machine, although the gold won't be delivered to your door by UPS, you'll still have to go and try to find it.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread