Southeastern Tennessee
Upvote 0

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like copper might be the next silver :thumbsup: Crazy to think 5 or 10 years from now we might look back at copper as some of the old timers look back on silver now. " Oh we use to just throw back the 40%'s" Funny how they never thought it would be worth what they are today! What would be cool is when each pre82' copper is worth like .15 cents. Then were talking the same type of "times face" as silver has right now. That would be really cool. I only have about 100 pounds of copper pennies but just talking about this makes me want to go get a few more hundred pounds worth...lol. Oh did u see the news on China's copper demand?

DarkRider23

May 31, 2011
StevoCBR said:
Sounds like copper might be the next silver :thumbsup: Crazy to think 5 or 10 years from now we might look back at copper as some of the old timers look back on silver now. " Oh we use to just throw back the 40%'s" Funny how they never thought it would be worth what they are today! What would be cool is when each pre82' copper is worth like .15 cents. Then were talking the same type of "times face" as silver has right now. That would be really cool. I only have about 100 pounds of copper pennies but just talking about this makes me want to go get a few more hundred pounds worth...lol. Oh did u see the news on China's copper demand?

A 50% increase in copper might be coming :P. Expect the pennies to be worth $.04 if it does happen.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
ImpurestStewart said:
Where did you get the sorter? I am going through the pennies by hand now and it gets old fast. Thanks
I built it myself. I bought what I needed, mostly from FeePay (eBay), and assembled the sorter(s) from that. The thread about it is here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,393980.0.html

The main part that automates the process is the coin hopper. I use coin hoppers from IGT slot machines, bought four of them from a seller for $16 each. These were set up for halves, so I bought the parts to make dimes/pennies conversion kits for about $25 each. I converted one hopper for dimes, one hopper for pennies. I bought a hopper already set for quarters for $20 from another seller. I kept one unconverted hopper for halves, and another for spare parts. Cost for the finished pennies hopper and dimes hopper was about $41 each. Quarters hopper $20, and halves hopper $16 as-is.

The CMI CC-16D coin analyzers were bought as a set of 5 for $100, ie $20 each.

Each coin tube to connect the coin hopper to the analyzer was fashioned from a pair of sections of "Hot Wheels" plastic track from Wal-Mart and a duct taped to a thin strip of galvanized steel from Home Depot. The steel strip allows for ease of mounting, and provides rigidity to bend the track in the desired shape. Cost is less than $4 per coin tube assembly.

The power source and main support structure is an old upright tower PC case with power supply. I set the coin hopper on top and support the coin analyzer with a homebrew plywood platform next to it. The coin bins are just a couple of cardboard boxes set under the analyzer. I set up one to use it and take it down for storage. Total cost for the dimes and pennies sorters was about $65 each, the quarters sorter about $44, and the halves sorter about $40. The old tower PCs were free from the dump, someones throwaways. These homebrew sorters can sort through thousands of coins in short order.

I wanted to build something that functioned as good as, or better than, the other automatic coin sorters available, and not have to spend $500 or more to do it!

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions