Organizing your silver finds...

db23

Mar 18, 2011
I was originally just throwing my junk silver in ziplock bags but the 40% bag started to get too heavy to pull out every time I needed to add to it. I came up with a better way of organizing all of my stuff and thought I share in case anyone else was looking for an easy way of doing it...

I went out to staples and bought a pack of round labels. Used the Avery MS Word template to write what I need on them and through the laser printer they go...

The labels stick perfectly fine to the half dollar wrappers, but the dimes and quarters aren't as wide and the labels peel up a little sometimes. I just wrap a piece of scotch tape around the label of those 2.

I figure this should also help any sort of accidental depositing by anyone down the road...

Attachments

• Labeled1.JPG
    Labeled1.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 430
  • Labeled2.JPG
    Labeled2.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice little labels. I usually just write on the roll most of my silver is in the plastic rolls with screw on lids though.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only got enough to sit lonely at the bottom of a few coin tubes, but I have handwritten labels on them that say things along the lines of "Nickels '42-'45 - 35% Silver - DO NOT SPEND". That way if I croak or something and a relative has to go through my crap, they don't make an error.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, I also just right on the rolls with a ball point :thumbsup:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Every coin I have goes into a cardboard/mylar coin flip. Even the "junk" silver Roosevelt dimes and Washington quarters.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to do that, but I'll go broke buying flips, even at the meager rate I'm accumulating keepers. ::) I might even be putting Buffaloes and Mercuries in tubes before too long.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
where do you put your 40%ers?

I used to put my 90%ers in rewrapped shotgun rolls but now they go into round plastic tubes. 40%ers go in a bag. Anyone know of a good containers for those plastic tubes that fit perfectly?

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
SFBayArea said:

I used to put my 90%ers in rewrapped shotgun rolls but now they go into round plastic tubes. 40%ers go in a bag. Anyone know of a good containers for those plastic tubes that fit perfectly?

You can buy boxes that hold the coin tubes and have cardboard dividers. They are only like 8 or 9 bucks. All my silver goes in tubes and the tubes are nicely kept in a tube box. I buy mine from mjcoins.com.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya i just ordered a bunch of square tubes from coin wizard or some website like that, cheap like only 30 cents each.

Bigheed

OP
OP
db23

db23

Mar 18, 2011
SFBayArea said:

My 40s go in the same wrapper as the 90s, just labeled "1965-1969 40% Silver". They then go into a re-used 5x5x2 Brinks Half Dollar box. They aren't in the picture because the box is too much of a pain to get out, I just bring a roll to the box when I have a new roll to add to it.

I see no point in spending money on plastic tubes for circulated coins. I do however use plastic tubes as temporary holding containers until I have a full roll. I got these tubes for free when hunting, one bank sold me $120 in halves with all of them in the tubes.

When I first started CRHing I had no clue that coin machines would be so readily available for me so I purchased a box of 1000 half dollar wrappers.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
db23 said:
SFBayArea said:

My 40s go in the same wrapper as the 90s, just labeled "1965-1969 40% Silver". They then go into a re-used 5x5x2 Brinks Half Dollar box. They aren't in the picture because the box is too much of a pain to get out, I just bring a roll to the box when I have a new roll to add to it.

I see no point in spending money on plastic tubes for circulated coins. I do however use plastic tubes as temporary holding containers until I have a full roll. I got these tubes for free when hunting, one bank sold me $120 in halves with all of them in the tubes.

When I first started CRHing I had no clue that coin machines would be so readily available for me so I purchased a box of 1000 half dollar wrappers.

I recently bought a pkg of paper rolls too. I learned real quick that it will be worth finding a counting machine. I am wondering if anyone can tell me, How many halves can one of those machines count at once before the a teller has to come switch out the bag or something? How many do you guys normally dump in one trip?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most everything goes into tubes, I don't put them into paper rolls because they aren't as sturdy as plastic, will eventually dull the coins (I know, I know circulated), and are much harder to mistake for normal coins

HH
-GC

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The clear plastic tubes just look better than paper wrappers. Love seeing the silver from the side of the tube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread