Bags off the credit union coin counter

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I called my pick up bank to order $1000 in dimes. Sometimes they have them in the vault, other times they order boxes.

While making the call, the person I talk to was nicer than the others I have...even though they are all nice, this one was a particular sweetheart. I asked her "I know you guys have a coin counter there at the main branch, what do you guys do with the bags when they fill up?" She replied "We roll them ourselves typically..." I then said "What if I could save you guys the work and buy the bags off of you directly?"...."Well, what denominations...?"

I knew then, I was in, but didn't want to push it.

"Nickels (so I don't look like a silver freak)....Dimes...Quarters...Half Dollars...anything really..."
"Okay, let me get your number. The supervisor is out today, when she comes back tomorrow I'll have her give you a call, and I'll go ahead and get your dimes ready for Thursday (their armored delivery day)"
“Great, thanks!” I then gave her my number, name, and account number. I heard her look up my account, which I’m happy with. She should have seen that I am a customer with a quarter-million in CDs and Money Market (insurance settlement and investment windfall)…hopefully that makes them even happier to help me out a bit.
I need all the luck I can get…hope the supervising teller calls me back tomorrow! That’ll be great! I’ll take all the luck you guys can send my way!

Upvote 0

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Good luck mate! that's awesome to get in like that. but being a small credit union, i dont know how long its gonna take for their coin counters to fill up...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds good, my CU fills their counter (halves) probably once a year. If yours has that many branches, could be a fun setup, good luck.

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Only one branch has a counter...I'm thinking the other branches send people to the main branch for coins. I'm not really into the halves, I'm more excited for dimes, nickels, and quarters too. If the halves fill up, I have a feeling it will be someone's dumps...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I hope you get to buy the bags.

CU's and banks can be funny about selling them...they don't want people complaining that they got shorted...and getting shorted does indeed happen.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
clovis97 said:

CU's and banks can be funny about selling them...they don't want people complaining that they got shorted...and getting shorted does indeed happen.
I can attest to the getting shorted part. Bank coin machines are not always reliable.

Bob

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kb4iqm said:
clovis97 said:

I can attest to the getting shorted part. Bank coin machines are not always reliable.

Bob

I get shorted quite often with bank bags, but it where the silver is around here. If its short, its usually a good bag. The more junk and bent up coins the better.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The couple bags of halves I've bought off the machine have been spot on, multiple silvers plus all kinds of extra goodies. The last bag was about $8 over including "gold" dollars, sac, foreigns, etc...buy the pennies bags off the machine, they are loaded with dimes LOL

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Yea, I buy bags from one of my banks coin counter, prefer the pennies bags myself. Being on the grossly shorted end of dumping a bag of dimes, to the tune of over $283 short, has greatly reduced my trust of another one of my banks coin machine. I'm still in battle with that bank to get the rest of my money. I had a meet with their auditing department on monday to let them know that I'm not going to just let this drop. I demanded that they audit the pennies bag from that machine. If it were short by $5 I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it, but with that much counted as pennies out of the $1002.00 that was in the bag I am not going to ignore. The machine counted the 10,020 dimes as $718.89 which clearly indicates that dimes were counted as pennies. The auditing department agreed. I kept all of the documentation.

Bob

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up my $1000 weekly order of dimes today and talked to the head teller. At the main branch they collect all of their coins and roll them for the other branches...but the other branches sell their coins to Wells Fargo (with the fee). She told me to call the other branches head tellers (she gave me names) and to say that she sent me to them. Sounds like I'm in :)

Also, she setup my $1000 in dimes as a weekly occurance.

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got off the phone with the head teller at one of the other branches. She's willing to sell me bags of mixed halves and dollars, as well as anything else I want, every Friday. She then sells the rest on Monday.

Going to pick up my first dimes and mixed halves/dollars today! Can't wait!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread