Bandito Treasure & Some Date Nails

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these date nails today and some other interesting stuff at the same place, right alongside a rural ranch road in southern Pima County, AZ. Anyway, there is a barbed wire fence running alongside the road, and in this wash they were using some old railroad ties for strong, sturdy fence posts. So I stopped to try my luck and I found a few, the 1923, 1924 and 1942, probably from Southern Pacific, since they were the big RR company in this part of the country.

As I was checking the fence posts, I noticed alongside the road, tucked behind some catclaw and mesquite, a bunch of stuff from the illegal aliens, which frequently pass through this area. You see little illegal alien camps like this all over in Southern AZ. You can tell the difference between stuff left behind by your average illegal immigrant and stuff left behind by human smugglers/drug smugglers/Mexican border bandits (who rob the cartel smugglers) etc... by the type of gear they leave behind. Most of the illegals they catch coming across dont where camouflage and most of the clothing and backpacks and stuff they leave behind isnt camo either. All of this stuff, including at least 5 backpacks, shirts, pants, jackets, gloves and hats, and even bags and pouches, were all camouflage or solid green, mostly hunting type camo but also some military style camo as well. And it was interesting since all of the camo packpacks except 1 were identical, and all of the camo hats the same too. And Ive seen these same backpacks elsewhere in the Arizona desert, and even have one I kept for posterity, since it was in good enough shape (It was packed full of food and sterno when I found it, most of which was unused).

There were also black plastic bags, presumably for the drugs, or just to keep things dry, and several ace type bandages, which they use for wrapping up their shoes to help cover their tracks. Down in the pockets of two of backpacks were these Mexicans coins, the most recent being from 2012 and the oldest from 1997. I also found a cheap, throw away cell phone that was chucked over the fence when the illegals met up with their ride out of there. You see, to the South of this road is by and large desert wilderness all the way south to the border, and its the perfect place for illegal aliens to trek across the border and then safely meet up with their contact here in AZ for pickup, bypassing all of the Border Patrol checkpoints completely, since they are all located further to the south on the main roads. I also found the two rosaries you see hanging on a fence post at this smugglers' pick up point, and the date nails you see in the last photo there. The 1926 I found in another fence line along the way home. I also found a 1938 or 36 or something, but its all bent up and difficult to read.
DSC02494.jpg DSC02499.jpg DSC02505.jpg DSC02510.jpg DSC02520.JPG DSC02508.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never found any IC ones before, just a bunch of regular ones in different sizes. I have found a couple of the diamond head ones, one from 1916 in a telegraph or telephone pole or something and a 1920 on the ground, but its all rusty. I heard that Southern Pacific did not use the diamond head nails, but other RRs did. Was that trestle bridge from an old railroad? If so, what railroad?

Yes, it was a railroad bridge. I am not sure which line, no tracks left around anywhere, just the bridge. I tried to research it years ago and came up empty.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for clarifying. Thats kind of exciting. All of the old railroads around here have been ripped up already, but the wooden bridges are still there. I hope I can find one, one day.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for clarifying. Thats kind of exciting. All of the old railroads around here have been ripped up already, but the wooden bridges are still there. I hope I can find one, one day.

I pulled those nails in 2009 or 2010. I should go back one day and see if the river has exposed any more of the support timbers - they each had a nail in them and all 1933s.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would. You dont see a lot of the diamond or IC nails here in Southern AZ. Ive only found 1 "X" nail, as well. Most of the nails I find are from the 1920s, although the other day I hiked a short (maybe 1/4 mile) fenceline with RR ties for posts and just about every one had 3-5 date nails sticking out of them. 4 for each strand of barbed wire and occasionally another that was still in its original spot. I pulled about 64 of them in about 30 minutes, mostly 1930 nails too, all used but in good shape for their age. This fence was no longer in use and was mostly down so the property owner, who owns the land out there, said he was going to replace the fence with chain link one day. I gave him a few of the nails and he let me keep the rest.

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn interesting post my desert friend. Running across illegals would kinda spook most folks I reckon. Love the date nails. I remember them growing up in the 60's as I would walk the rails of the ICRR in Earlville, Illinois. I would get a hammer and yank them out if I could. I am certain any I once had are now lying in some dirt somewhere. Loved the story your uncle told you. Seems like a good man. As much as I'd like to see our borders closed and enforced I could see myself helping out those two Mexicans myself. Great story.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you could help the only one I have is from a railway sleeper close to a railway built in 1850. Is this 1879 or 1979? Cheers

Must be fun trying to find all the years.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 61

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you could help the only one I have is from a railway sleeper close to a railway built in 1850. Is this 1879 or 1979? Cheers

Must be fun trying to find all the years.

crusader, yours is from 1879

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most definitely 1979, not 1879. According to this thing http://www.pacificrailroadsociety.org/November2010.pdf, the oldest known North American date nail is from 1897. If it is 1879, it would be unheard of. Still a very nice find, though. The newest one Ive found is 1955 and most railroads stopped using them by 1970 or so.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread