Bank Accounts

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you guys do for bank accounts at dump banks? In my area, no one will let me bring in a box of halves to cash in unless I have an account with that bank. I started looking into opening accounts at some of these banks and they all charge service fees on their accounts unless I have a minimum balance in that account. It hardly seems worth it if I have to tie up thousands of dollars in order to keep bank accounts open for dumping. What's your strategy? Is there any way around the min. balance/no fee scenario? ???

Upvote 0

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try and see what their savings account cost the usually open one for $100 with no fees and will give you access to dump just explain tyhat you will be dumping large vol when you start with them

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I usually have hassle free accounts for less than a hundred bucks, shop around

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just have savings accounts with $500 in each. I have 6 of them. It works for me!!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Some banks offer free savings accounts. Most banks charge a fee for checking. Just take a look at their websites and compare. I have 2 accounts that I use for dumping. One is a CU and the other is a bank that uses coin counters and has free savings.

I'm also in a similar situation. There is one bank near me that has the nicest staff ever. They know I don't have an account but always try to help. I feel guilty walking in there because they always try to have me open an account. The manager even told me she would order however many boxes of coins I needed but I would have to be a bank member. Problem is their checking and savings accounts have fees unless I use direct deposit which I don't want to do. It figures that one of the nicest and willingest banks near me would have fees.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I just have savings accounts with $500 in each. I have 6 of them. It works for me!!
$3k is more than most people can have sitting around doing nothing. I personally have $50 in 7 different accounts.
Some banks offer free savings accounts. Most banks charge a fee for checking. Just take a look at their websites and compare. I have 2 accounts that I use for dumping. One is a CU and the other is a bank that uses coin counters and has free savings.

I'm also in a similar situation. There is one bank near me that has the nicest staff ever. They know I don't have an account but always try to help. I feel guilty walking in there because they always try to have me open an account. The manager even told me she would order however many boxes of coins I needed but I would have to be a bank member. Problem is their checking and savings accounts have fees unless I use direct deposit which I don't want to do. It figures that one of the nicest and willingest banks near me would have fees.
Just open it and do direct deposit, but partial direct deposit. Unless the minimum is ridiculous, you should be able to just DD like, $200 and be fine.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Just open it and do direct deposit, but partial direct deposit. Unless the minimum is ridiculous, you should be able to just DD like, $200 and be fine.

I thought about doing that but they require a direct deposit of at least $500 per monthly billing cycle. Too much of a hassle to move around once deposited. Otherwise it would be a $7 monthly "maintenance" fee and a $100 minimum opening deposit. If I do that, it would give me 14 months before I would have to reload the account again.

Last edited:

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought about doing that but they require a direct deposit of at least $500 per monthly billing cycle. Too much of a hassle to move around once deposited. Otherwise it would be a $7 monthly "maintenance" fee and a $100 minimum opening deposit. If I do that, it would give me 14 weeks before I would have to reload the account again.

$7 aint bad, if you can get 4 boxes a week, that's what? 50 cents a box?

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
3 credit union accounts (free,) 2 college checking accounts (free,) and a business account (free.) The business account is free as it automatically transfers $150 every month from checkings to savings to encourage customers to "save" their money. You can just go transfer back whenever you like.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm finding it more and more difficult to find a bank that would take a standing order of halves other than the one I previously mentioned. I think I may just eat the $7 monthly fee for a chance to search some boxes.

OP
OP
Ben-Ro

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess having a fee really isn't that big of a deal. I mean, even if it's something like $7 a month, I can't buy a 90%er for that at my coin shop. So if I fine 1 90%er or 2 40%ers in a months time, it will essentially pay for itself.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never found a 90% (-: I don't know if I'd rely on that to cover fees. a 10 or 12 box streak could end up costing some real money.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
In my situation, this is the only bank that is willing to order whatever I want. I'm sort of backed into a corner.

OP
OP
Ben-Ro

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the opposite problem... No banks in my area will take even one box of coin, re-rolled, if I don't have an account with them.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the opposite problem... No banks in my area will take even one box of coin, re-rolled, if I don't have an account with them.

That's a tough situation. Do you live in a relatively low populated area? Most of the banks in my area offer some sort of free account.

Also, correction to my previous posts. The savings account has a $5 monthly maintenance fee and is waived with a minimum balance of $300. I'll probably open it to save money for my future children and use it to order boxes.

OP
OP
Ben-Ro

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Acutally I live in the Greater Cincinnati area, so it's very populated.

It's actually a great place to CRH so far, because, as quipped by Mark Twain:

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati, because it's always twenty years behind the times."

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you guys do for bank accounts at dump banks? In my area, no one will let me bring in a box of halves to cash in unless I have an account with that bank. I started looking into opening accounts at some of these banks and they all charge service fees on their accounts unless I have a minimum balance in that account. It hardly seems worth it if I have to tie up thousands of dollars in order to keep bank accounts open for dumping. What's your strategy? Is there any way around the min. balance/no fee scenario? ???

Every bank but one that I dump at I have accounts with. Total, I have 6 accounts opened up. One dump bank I dont have an account with but I take their dimes, nickels, quarters when they have them and sometimes pennies. Over all, I save them money because they only ship 2 bags of halves a week instead of 4 bags of other denominations a week so they dont really mind at all.

The trick is to find banks that have low cost savings and checking accounts. Credit Unions are the way to go.

One bank requires $25 minimum.. Another allowed me to start up with just $1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions