Bank Boycott

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you ever got the idea to have a listing of banks on here that do not exchange coins for cash? Especially halves. That way when those who use this forum to business such as applying for credit can keep in mind who is friendly and who is not, and can do business with the ones that are. Maybe theres a congressman or senator into CRH'ing who will see it and remember it come time for the next bailout vote.

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
terryin pa said:
Have any of you ever got the idea to have a listing of banks on here that do not exchange coins for cash? Especially halves. That way when those who use this forum to business such as applying for credit can keep in mind who is friendly and who is not, and can do business with the ones that are. Maybe theres a congressman or senator into CRH'ing who will see it and remember it come time for the next bailout vote.

If it is a bank where you are not a customer now you are already sort of boycotting them by not being a customer. Why would such a bank care in this instance?

Jim

OP
OP
T

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why should anyone need an account to exchange a small sum of money someone else exchanged. Its not like they are ordering anything . The tellers are there anyway so they dont need to pay them extra or anything. The banks are government backed with OUR (the taxpayers) money. They should have to do some basic services for the taxpayers free of charge ! How would it be if the service station said you need an account here to buy gas. Or the supermarket. Do you have an account here? Oh I'm sorry sir you cant buy groceries unless you do. When you go ask for 1/2's your paying face value so why such a big deal. Think how the post office (another government backed agency which is self supporting) services the public in so many ways with far less income than the banks and they make a profit. They will deliver a letter door to door clear across the country for .42 , I'd like to see you put a check at your door and see if the bank takes the cash to the recipents door. LOL . You could have a million dollars in the bank and they wouldnt do it. The postal service isnt in our pockets for a bailout either. Like I said , perhaps one day I'll need a car loan and think BOA for example is friendly when I go there for 1/2's ,so I'll patronize them . XYZ Bank wont give 1/2's without me being a customer so now Im not good enough as well.

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
Terry are you a postal worker by any chance? And to be honest it isn't necessarily the banks fault in some circumstances. We deal with tellers and some are better than others. If you want to take business away from BOA because they have a rude teller great but maybe somebody else has a BOA with great tellers. Really the most you can do is talk to management and spread the word with the people you know.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
terryin pa said:
Why should anyone need an account to exchange a small sum of money someone else exchanged. Its not like they are ordering anything . The tellers are there anyway so they dont need to pay them extra or anything. The banks are government backed with OUR (the taxpayers) money. They should have to do some basic services for the taxpayers free of charge ! How would it be if the service station said you need an account here to buy gas. Or the supermarket. Do you have an account here? Oh I'm sorry sir you cant buy groceries unless you do. When you go ask for 1/2's your paying face value so why such a big deal. Think how the post office (another government backed agency which is self supporting) services the public in so many ways with far less income than the banks and they make a profit. They will deliver a letter door to door clear across the country for .42 , I'd like to see you put a check at your door and see if the bank takes the cash to the recipents door. LOL . You could have a million dollars in the bank and they wouldnt do it. The postal service isnt in our pockets for a bailout either. Like I said , perhaps one day I'll need a car loan and think BOA for example is friendly when I go there for 1/2's ,so I'll patronize them . XYZ Bank wont give 1/2's without me being a customer so now Im not good enough as well.

Your own response backs up what I say. If you go buy gas somewhere, you are their customer. If you go to a grocery store to buy stuff, you are their customer. If you are not the customer of a bank and they refuse to give you halves, perhaps it is because they have customers that patronize said business who go there and ask for them and they are saving them for customers. When you send a letter you are paying the postal service via stamp to deliver it for you.

Would you call up a doctor or lawyer where you are not a patient or client and expect free treatment advice or legal advice? Why should banks waste their time dealing with a person who is not a customer but wants the bank to do stuff for them for free? Again, I go to some banks that do provide said service for free and I am amazed that they do it.

The postal service is a government agency, private banks are not. Even though private banks might receive bailout money. Some banks will soon be "nationalized" as our country slips into the abyss of a new great depression, but that is another story all together. I just read today that the postal service is now requesting that they only deliver the mail 5 days a week instead of 6 because they are losing money. I hope they let them do that or stamps are gonna be $1 each soon. P.S. I think our postal service does a great job, so I am not knocking them in any way. With all the faxes and UPS and Fed Ex competition the postal service is not making the money it once did I suppose. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D960C7KG0&show_article=1

Jim

OP
OP
T

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not,never have been, nor any family member an employee of the postal service. It was only an example. From the responces it seems some fail to see my point. In some cases Ive been in 5 or 6 branches of a particular bank and get asked about the account at every one. Its not the case of a miserable teller. Why should we pick up the tab for an institution who will not do a simple thing for us? Do those banks that received bailout help have an account with you?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
terryin pa said:
I am not,never have been, nor any family member an employee of the postal service. It was only an example. From the responces it seems some fail to see my point. In some cases Ive been in 5 or 6 branches of a particular bank and get asked about the account at every one. Its not the case of a miserable teller. Why should we pick up the tab for an institution who will not do a simple thing for us? Do those banks that received bailout help have an account with you?

Terry,

I think you are overestimating the amount of banks who received taxpayer money so far. Other than many of the big named ones you see in the news, I would imagine that most have not received any TARP money. And even the ones who do are giving preferred stock, etc., to the gov., so it is structured more like an investment for the gov than a free handout (I guess if the bank goes bankrupt it will be like a free handout though?).

Please note I am not for our taxpayer money going to these financial institutions who made bad business decisions, but at least right now they are still private companies and not de facto government holdings. Although down they road they might become that way if things continue to go bad in the economy.

Jim

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
2 cents worth

The cost of doing business is going up everyday. Just today the Post Office has said they will no longer deliver mail on Saturdays. Doesn't seem like a big deal at first but we have incurred increases in First Class postage up to 42 cents now. The PO told congress they were losing money due to emails and texting. Hardly anyone writes letters anymore and tons of people are paying bills on line.
Getting back to the banks, all of these mergers have turned the banking community upside down. The banks I deal with have all mentioned collecting fees for getting me boxes etc. I just vote with my feet. Get on the phone and call banks near you until you find one who melts your butter,blows up yer kilt, etc.
The CRH hobby which we all enjoy is a royal pain in the a$$ to most banks. My banks are handling 28,000 halves coming into me and surprisingly the other one is eating 28,000 halves when I dump them. Some of these tellers don't weigh much more than a bag of halves and when I ask them to wrestle up to 14 of them out of their vaults, they are not happy.(insert my habit of donuts,muffins,bagels, and pizza to grease the skids).
My bank is also worried about large amounts of cash and coins being traded. Since 2003, the Patriot Act has banks looking over their shoulders. Good luck, Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
terryin pa said:

Your own response backs up what I say. If you go buy gas somewhere, you are their customer. If you go to a grocery store to buy stuff, you are their customer. If you are not the customer of a bank and they refuse to give you halves, perhaps it is because they have customers that patronize said business who go there and ask for them and they are saving them for customers. When you send a letter you are paying the postal service via stamp to deliver it for you.

Would you call up a doctor or lawyer where you are not a patient or client and expect free treatment advice or legal advice? Why should banks waste their time dealing with a person who is not a customer but wants the bank to do stuff for them for free? Again, I go to some banks that do provide said service for free and I am amazed that they do it.

The postal service is a government agency, private banks are not. Even though private banks might receive bailout money. Some banks will soon be "nationalized" as our country slips into the abyss of a new great depression, but that is another story all together. I just read today that the postal service is now requesting that they only deliver the mail 5 days a week instead of 6 because they are losing money. I hope they let them do that or stamps are gonna be $1 each soon. P.S. I think our postal service does a great job, so I am not knocking them in any way. With all the faxes and UPS and Fed Ex competition the postal service is not making the money it once did I suppose. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D960C7KG0&show_article=1

Jim

This is so brilliant it scares me.

I think the post office should only deliver to even/odd zip codes every other day and cut their delivery fleet and staff in half. You know even zip code son Mon.Wed. & Fri. and odd Zips on Tue. Thur. & Sat.

Then all bills should be "postmarked by" (insted of due by)....... or add another day for courtesy. Wich really if the person who recives your payment is in a certian zip code you just need to put your payment in the mail in the normal expected time. say 6 to 4 days in advance to be sure that it gets there on time.

Futher more the post office should be handed over to Walmart to manage the whole thing and contract Lexus to build their entire fleet of delivery vehicles. This way they could get 200k = miles out of ea one.

Mojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
Mojo,

I don't get what you are trying to convey. But in this instance, there is no non American company competing to cause the hardship to an American company or institution.

Jim

The walmart and Lexis reference was for your benifit. Nice catch.... LOL

But I firmly believe that this is a viable option Due to the competition in package delivery.

This is so brilliant it scares me.

I think the post office should only deliver to even/odd zip codes every other day and cut their delivery fleet and staff in half.

You know even zip code son Mon.Wed. & Fri. and odd Zips on Tue. Thur. & Sat.

Mojo

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i know that some banks are charged a fee for x amount of coin....and if you are causing them to order more than usual they will try to recoup that from you.....as far as accounts go....it seems every bank i go to asks if you have one.....i think with the problems they are having is forcing them to try and get as many new accounts as thay can....i say this because everyone has some sort of incentive to open said account.....free $100 after 6 transactions....no fee checking....one i found(my favorite,which i intend to do) even said i can open with just $10 and get a free safe deposit box for 2 yrs ;D....i think they are all hurting and looking for ways to get your money in thier bank....others don't seem to be affected

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread