Bank charges for boxes of halves

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I would throw this out there and hear what your banks are charging for boxes of half dollars.
I have been picking up boxes from my bank for a few months now and have never been charged for them. Now I look at my statement and see they are charging me $3.00 per box. I have never seen this before until this week, and there are three checks drawn from my account for the boxes that I picked up. Does anyone else get charged for their boxes? If so, how much?
Maybe I might have to just start going to other banks and ask for any rolls they have without being charged for ordering them. I can go into the local Chase bank and get them without a charge and all they ask is that they be returned rolled up instead of in a bag of 1k.
Thanks

Gary

Upvote 0

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would be asking for the $3 back. Unless they told you about the fee upfront, I would think they aren't keeping up their end of the customer agreement you signed when you opened the account. I would check that before causing any stir.

OP
OP
Texas silverbug

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverJack said:
Personally I would be asking for the $3 back. Unless they told you about the fee upfront, I would think they aren't keeping up their end of the customer agreement you signed when you opened the account. I would check that before causing any stir.

When I started CRH at this bank a couple of months ago, they did explain that there was a three dollar charge to order. However, I have not been charged until this week and that has me puzzled. I guess that I should talk to the branch manager as she is one of my customers also. If she say's that is the way it is, I guess I will have to start charging her and her family for some of the diagnostics that I do for free as a nice gesture.
What comes around goes around.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I see 2 things wrong here:

1) Your choice, but I'd never pay for boxes. With the skunk streaks I've had, I'd be lucky to break even.
2) Obtaining halves from Chase and returning them to Chase. Never dump where you eat.

That being said, yeah, talk to the manager, see if she'll waive the fees.

OP
OP
Texas silverbug

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
FormerTeller said:
I see 2 things wrong here:

1) Your choice, but I'd never pay for boxes. With the skunk streaks I've had, I'd be lucky to break even.
2) Obtaining halves from Chase and returning them to Chase. Never dump where you eat.

That being said, yeah, talk to the manager, see if she'll waive the fees.

I think I said that wrong. I am suddenly being charged at WF and not Chase. Chase does not charge me for the coins I pick up. They just told me they would have to be rolled up before I could return them. When I pick up at Chase I dump them at WF in 1k bags. If I get them from WF, they are now charging me three dollars to order.
I guess I need to rethink my methods here. Me thinks it is time to talk to several different banks to learn their policies.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
well WF wanted 7.5 a box so you are getting a better deal... if you are finding silver then who cares?

OP
OP
Texas silverbug

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
d2arcing said:
well WF wanted 7.5 a box so you are getting a better deal... if you are finding silver then who cares?

Thats a tough call. I am picking up two more boxes from WF tomarrow and see if the silver streak continues. If not, I am going to start picking up boxes at Chase, which does not charge and just dump at WF. That is until they want to charge me to dump there.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some banks try to charge $5 no way :BangHead: :argue: :tard:

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Yeah, I would be demanding my money back if nobody told you about a fee... with that said, as someone else mentioned, usually fees are more than that. I had been getting 4-6 boxes per week from Wells fargo for 6 months when one wednesday, like I had for 6 months prior, I went in to get my boxes, and they tell me that they didnt order them for me cause they are charging me $7.50 per box from here on out and wanted to double check with on those fees before they just stick me with em.. so I tell them I'll be right back, and proceed to come back in with over 2K in coin, (cant remember now exactly, but it was alot of coin). unload them onto the counter and ask to "cash em in".... The look I got was as priceless as ever, and before she wiped it from her face, I explained that I can get them from you guys, and dump them elsewhere, or, I can get them elsewhere, and dump them on you guys... (smiling politely)... next day I get the phone call from them explaining that they will continue to order me 4 boxes per week, without charges for now.... I dont know what they meant by "for now", Im sure it wont last forever, but Im pretty sure that was 3+ months ago.. So we will see. Life is all about "Posture" and I dont mean that in a cocky, errogant way. It is just the way it is, everything around us boiles down to posture...

good luck.

Chris.

PS-get your money back, that is B.S. on a good note though, I used to be the same way, I would never know the difference between a 50 dollar fee, or a 2 dollar fee, in fact I couldnt have ever told you how much money I had to the nearest thousand dollars let alone my B.S. fees incured. all that has changed since CRH'ing. I know how much money I have, and I absolutely never, ever pay banking fees. of any kind

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Silverbug said:
I thought I would throw this out there and hear what your banks are charging for boxes of half dollars.
I have been picking up boxes from my bank for a few months now and have never been charged for them. Now I look at my statement and see they are charging me $3.00 per box. I have never seen this before until this week, and there are three checks drawn from my account for the boxes that I picked up. Does anyone else get charged for their boxes? If so, how much?
Maybe I might have to just start going to other banks and ask for any rolls they have without being charged for ordering them. I can go into the local Chase bank and get them without a charge and all they ask is that they be returned rolled up instead of in a bag of 1k.
Thanks

Gary
Texas Silverbug said:
SilverJack said:

When I started CRH at this bank a couple of months ago, they did explain that there was a three dollar charge to order. However, I have not been charged until this week and that has me puzzled. I guess that I should talk to the branch manager as she is one of my customers also. If she say's that is the way it is, I guess I will have to start charging her and her family for some of the diagnostics that I do for free as a nice gesture.
What comes around goes around.

I don't see where you have anything to complain about. They told you upfront that there would be a $3 fee, and ended up waiving the fee for awhile. That was pretty nice of them actually.

Now, on whether or not you should continue to pay the fee, well that is entirely up to you. If I could get the boxes for free elsewhere, and the boxes produced similarly, then I would just switch order banks to avoid the fee. But, if those "pay-per-view" boxes consistently produce well, and boxes from "free" banks didn't, then I'd pay the fee and keep right on chugging along. I'll happily pay $3 for 2-3+ 40%ers all day long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread