bank hopping

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
Greetings CRH'ers! I've been reading your posts and have found them to be quite informative and entertaining.

I've been crh'ing since January '08 and have had a great time doing it. I collect half dollars and dimes mainly but keep an eye out for silver in any form. Hey, silver is silver, right?

I would order halves from a few banks and pick up a box or two of dimes daily. Sadly this summer my halves boxes became less and less productive and I discontinued my ordering boxes. I still chased dimes but gave up on halves for the most part until this past week. I walked into a bank to pick up a box of dimes and asked the teller as I was leaving if they had any half dollars. She replied that they had four hundred dollars worth. I told her I'd take them. She brought them out in a clear plastic bag and I could easily see silver scattered about! Took them home and found 52 40's and one 90 ('64). A few days later I was in the bank again picking up a box of dimes when the same teller asked me if I wanted her to call around to see if the other branches had any half dollars. I said I'd appreciate that. She called me later and told me of another two hundred dollars worth at another bank. Picked those up and it produced 22 40's and another '64.

That got me fired up! Took a road trip yesterday and to my amazement almost every bank I stopped at had at least two hundred dollars worth, if not more! Searched, culled, re-wrapped, dumped, searched, culled, re-wrapped, dumped until I'd gone through $1800.00 worth of halves. It was a pretty good day. Pulled thirty seven 40's and one '64 Kennedy.

There ought to be a Surgeon General's warning on the side of coin wrappers reading "Warning: Coin roll hunting is addictive." I see another bank hopping trip in my immediate future.

Upvote 0

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Wow...awesome numbers of silver you pulled....i think we are starting to see more silver again as times are getting tuff for alot of people....i noticed my finds have started increasing and i'm finding more and more hand rolls with silver in them...HH

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard JI. Although I have officially retired from this fun hobby (for now... :wink:), I too enjoyed enjoyed the bank hopping. There is always that chance of the big hit...the unknown...new scenery...and what alot of folks on here call "DREAM ROLLS".

You did quite well on the halves.....good work! Keep plugging and the stash will grow.

I have to agree with MG for a couple of reasons....not only the tough times, but the not so serious collectors with small stashes may just throw in the towel and cash in their small collection with silver prices being down like they are now. There are a number of reasons silver is being plucked daily. Get it while you can and best of luck to you.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I wish the banks around me had halfs on hand!!! I went to a good 15 banks and only 1 had halfs on hand, like $150 worth. I took them and that was my first silver half that I found, a 1964. I have to order all of my halfs and usuiall they are skunks, but so far I pulled 1 - 90% and 9 - 40%.

As for dimes, I gave up on them. I got 6 boxes all skunks, so to hell with them. ;D

OP
OP
fiddycent

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
Wow, I wish the banks around me had halfs on hand!!!

actually, the town i live in has a few hunters prowling the local financial institutions. the banks i hit on my road trips are the small town/village-type banks. better chances for good scores.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Be at the right place, at the right time. There are times when you will be right behind the "grey-haired gent that bought all we had". One thing that you could try is asking the bank to hold on to any halfs in quantity and/or call you when they get some in. It works for me (at banks that I have accounts at.) Trouble is, many institutions ship 'em right out when they get a quantity. They truly hate 'em.
Yeah, I'm finding more silver in hand rolls now, also. Right place at the right time.

AMC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread