Bank manager says they are considering fees or limits on dumps

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pushed my luck at my dump bank. I have been steadily increasing my volume to over $2000 a week in halves plus some dimes and nickels. When I was dumping a $1000 a week, the machine didn't fill-up but it turns out the bag is exactly a $1000. So, when I did my second load of $1000, they hadn't changed it and they had to change the bag. No big deal...right...well I'm afraid it put me on the radar enough that the manager would look for me and give me a little fee/limit talk. It's the only place in town with a counting machine...I'm bummed. My current plan is to back off for a week and then try to spread my two $1000 dumps with one on Saturday. I am hoping they will forget about me...unlikely. Any advice on how to respond if they hit me with fees and/or limits? I guess there's not much to say but okay and close my account if we are talking fees...limits could be worked around as long as it not something stupid like a $100 a week. Just talking it out...thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh crap! That sucks! I have a feeling you are talking about US Bank, right? Either way, you need to make friends with the teller who is in charge of the change vault. Be super nice, bring in treats, find common interests to converse about, AND MOST OF ALL SAY THANK YOU WHEN THEY COME OVER TO CHANGE THE BAG. You can still save it.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd just be super nice to them. If that doesn't work, you can always try re-rolling your coins and then dropping them at another bank. It'll take longer but will still get the trick done.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do what you have to do be nice get them a big bag of candy or or something good. I have a bank that the guy hates me??? Not sure why??? So my step son brings the bags in and i stay in the truck.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You already know what you need to do, you said it in your first sentence. Throttle down on the volume and/or spread it out.

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid this may be the norm soon. I was in my bank about 2 weeks ago making some changes to my business account. I also took about 60.00 in halves and quarters that I had. I ask the personal banker to deposit it while we were working on my accounts. He said "sure, I'll have the tellers start counting it." Which I asked "what happened to our coin counting machine in the back corner"? He explained that they no longer "deal" with coin but it wouldn't be a problem to take mine this time since it was a fairly small amount. I said what about people who own vending companies....sorry they'll have to use a third party coin service.

EDIT* - I forgot to mention I was making account changes because this bank now has limits on how much CASH you can deposit per month before you have to a pay a fee!

I told my uncle, who happens to own a vending company, and he says its just another step towards a cashless society...

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, stop dropping $2000 on that bank a week? Sounds like they were fine with $1000 a week.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quantity doesn't really matter. It's all in how you conduct yourself. I drop $6000 a week at one of my dump banks and they are happy to see me when I walk in the door.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice all. I am going to do my best to keep this going. I think I am the only CRH using this bank (since it filled up at exactly $1000.50) and they don't seem to know what to think of me. I have told them that I collect coins. Last week they cut me off from getting boxes of dimes and quarters (actually they limited me to $100 a week which is basically cutting me off). They said they didn't have enough to spare. I smiled and said I understood, no problem. They roll their own coins (except for half dollars which they send off) and it is possible they run a slim margin with their coins. I am probably going to cut back to $1000 a week and maybe hit them on Saturday to avoid the bank manager (out of sight...out of mind...hopefully he doesn't work weekends). Happy Hunting - Crappy Dumping

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Ok all, funny this came up tonight because I just ordered my first "big" order and am looking for some of the same advice. I have accounts at Wells, US BANK, SAC fed, a couple smaller credit unions and am looking to open one at A first national. I'm getting 10 boxes of halves and 10 boxes of nickels next Friday from wells. Do you go to multiple branches of the same bank to dump? I know not to go back to Wells but curious what the "high rollers" do.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ordered 6k of coins from 1 branch? Man that is a big order :P

Hope you can pick it up all at once, as my experience says they do not like holding coins for customers for more than a day or 2 max.

I would spread it out for sure.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You already know what you need to do, you said it in your first sentence. Throttle down on the volume and/or spread it out.

Zero, I think joe has nailed it here. Others also have given useful feedback. Ill just give you my situation I have worked through. I was hitting three different branches that had coin counters and recently, a few months ago, got some push back. Branch A, where I opened my account, had the nicest most helpful tellers. Branch B, was kind of middle of the road, and branch C was downright hostile to me, always some snide comments while changing bags. My dumps tended to run in the $600-$1400 range. I brought them mostly dimes, nickels and cents, sometimes quarters. Dumped my halves at TD in bags. Anyway, I got warned about impending fees of 5%. I tried to work things out with them to avoid fees but branches B and C refused. Too much wear and tear on there machines and the machines were really only for occasional use by people cashing in piggy banks, blah blah blah. At branch A I was able to work out, $200/week with no fees. Now that's a big reduction in my dumping but it's still valuable to me and now I only bring them cents and nickels and guess what, they still change bags. I have reduced my dime volume to 1 to 3 boxes/week. Those dimes get wrapped and dumped on branches B and C. I deposit them in my account. I'd rather not but it prevents them from telling me to drag it like I suspect they would if I just asked for cash. I take the cash back out when I visit branch A. If the IRS questions this I'll just explain to them about what I'm doing. I have gotten really fast at wrapping dimes and it isn't a big deal to do it. Also, I tend to spend dime rolls for small purchases. I think they thought I would close my account after being cut off from the counter but they are still a useful dump bank and my "token account" as they called it, is now seeing a lot more usage. I actually think I might be able to fix things at B and C, to dump small amounts in the counters again or I may try to get them to accept bagged dumps, like I do at TD. One way or another, I keep on rollen. HH

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was you I would treat this situation just like having a woman mad at you.. Give a gift.. I mean whats this manager do for fun.. A round of golf would probably save you alot of money in dump fees in the long run.. Just my opinion..

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I think I may have found part of your problem...

I pushed my luck at my dump bank. I have been steadily increasing my volume to over $2000 a week in halves plus some dimes and nickels.

Last week they cut me off from getting boxes of dimes and quarters (actually they limited me to $100 a week which is basically cutting me off). They said they didn't have enough to spare.

So you're dumping $1,000 to $2,000 per week, some of which you picked up from the same bank? Yeah, I'm not at all surprised the bank manager has a problem with that. You know the CRH rule about not dumping where you eat, right?

:nono:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
If I was you I would treat this situation just like having a woman mad at you.. Give a gift.. I mean whats this manager do for fun.. A round of golf would probably save you alot of money in dump fees in the long run.. Just my opinion..

Gotta be careful with that. Gifts of food that the whole branch can use are usually not an issue. "Gifts" to one person in authority can and should be considered a bribe, are against most bank's policies, and may be illegal.

For example, this is from US Bank's Code of Ethics and Business Conduct (https://www.usbank.com/hr/docs/policies/coeHandbook.pdf):

4.3.1.2 Accepting Gifts
You may never solicit or accept a gift for yourself or a third party in exchange for favorable business treatment.

Exceptions include:
Food or beverages that cannot be returned easily, as long as
they are received on an occasion when gifts are customary, not
extravagant and shared with coworkers.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may have found part of your problem...

So you're dumping $1,000 to $2,000 per week, some of which you picked up from the same bank? Yeah, I'm not at all surprised the bank manager has a problem with that. You know the CRH rule about not dumping where you eat, right?

:nono:

I was wondering if I was the only one who read that. Definitely a no-no.

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Yes I am planning to pick it all up at once. That is not the problem but I think I will be sending it back through multiple branches of multiple banks just to be safe. I have heard the First National in my area has the coin counter in the lobby. I'm gonna check into that early next week. May be one way of taking a little heat off me. Every other branch of all banks used have the counter in the back(about 10 total).

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its really not that difficult of a concept. If you order from a branch, do NOT dump at that branch. Never had an issue using the same bank, just not the same branch. So pick up at branch A, dump branch B, C, D, etc. Have an account with a completely different bank? Even better, order from bank 1 branches A, B, C, D, etc and dump on bank 2. Then do that with a few more accounts and a few more branches and do 50 boxes a week. Then slap yourself, because you are now TimZim and should freaking know better! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely pushed it by picking up(dimes) and dumping (halves), but since it was different denominations I wasn't worried about peeing in my pool. Obviously, it got me too much attention. Lesson learned. I used another dump bank today in order to take some heat off, and hopefully get back under the radar.

I have no plans on becoming TimZim (he is awesome) at this point, but I am hoping to add another $1000 or so once I get a stable dumping system going for my $2000 a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread