Finally Stumbled Across A Few Good Boxes...(NEW FIRST TOO—Hunters Mark On A Silver!)

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I haven't been getting technically skunked lately, but it's been pretty dry. Tonight things changed though. Luckily, I finally stumbled across a few good boxes. I only opened three half boxes tonight and they all had silver. Box one: Had three 40%ers. Two of them were in the same roll—the first roll! Once I opened that roll I was sure the box was going to be loaded. There was only one more in rest of the whole thing!!! What are the odds of that?!? Box two: Two silvers—both 40%. They were pretty far spread apart in the box. Box three: 17 Mother truckin' silvers!!! :headbang: (15 40%ers, and two 90%ers...good stuff!). So that's 22 silvers on $1500 searched—killer odds! [1964 (2), 1965 (1), 1966 (2), 1967 (9), 1968 (7), 1969 (1)] Also, in case you are curious, I only had one ender total in all of the three boxes and it was in the killer box.

The best part of the whole thing was the 1965 that I found. It has a black sharpie streak (hunter's mark) right across Kennedy's face!!! That's the first time I've found a marked silver in the wild. It's that same feeling you get when you can finally say "checkmate" to your most competitive opponent. Pictures below. Happy hunting!!!

-Otl

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice that one has probably been out there for a while!

OP
OP
OtlFrutiger

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's pretty faded. It might even be from the time when people pitched the 40%ers back into the dumps.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be markings from a CRHer back in the 60's, when a 40% half is worth, well, 50 cents.
Remember, the rim of a newly minted 40% half looks similar to a 90%.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've found some marked silver too. Even from the most annoying marker of all times "SM". I suppose its possible they miss some because they are to preoccupied with wasting time i.e. marking coins.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a mark, i think it is just dirt on the coin, if that were a mark on that 1965, i'd be getting marked silver quite often(in perspective of finding only a few silver halves per month)

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice night you had there Otl! I have had many weird boxes too, some with 2 in one roll right in the middle of the box and nothing else in it, one box I remember had 1 walker in the last roll ( ender upside down) and was the only Silver in the box. I seem to be getting boxes as of late that only have 1 Silver in the first row and nothing else in the box and boxes with an ender showing and it being the only Silver in the box:BangHead:. HH, Maverick.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Rim hunters miss a few... But to find one marked- That is nice!
I searched a obvious reroll dump of $360 yesterday and it had 2- 40's in it.
Both nasty ugly and rims just a fudged up as any other in the bunch...

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People used to throw back 40's, it may be an old mark. It looks fairly worn...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread