bank teller got me thinking... so post your opinion

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
As long as you enjoy it, that is all that matters. You are almost certain you will find some sooner or later. I think it is nice to find a couple in each box. The most silver I ever found in one box was 51

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally I don't discuss my finds with the tellers, but my luck made me quit searching boxes last fall anyhow. It's now cheaper for me to pay $130 a roll. ffd

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
d2arcing said:
bank teller said finding 5 coins in 4 boxes, what is the point of continuing then?

How much coins realistically speaking is enough per box to keep going?
I came up with 1x 90% per box or 3x 40%, I am not looking to get rich, but am not looking to waste my time either. so post your 2 cents :icon_thumright:

Lets assume one of those 5 coins is a 90%. At todays silver prices you would have recovered about $910.00(melt) in silver at face value.
Doing 4 boxes is a snap. You could pick them up,search them, and dump them,in a couple of hours,depending on how close your banks are. If you want you could still buy silver as well. There are plenty of CRHers that search and buy too. I do.
HH
Rich

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Rich Hartford said:
d2arcing said:
bank teller said finding 5 coins in 4 boxes, what is the point of continuing then?

I came up with 1x 90% per box or 3x 40%, I am not looking to get rich, but am not looking to waste my time either. so post your 2 cents :icon_thumright:

Lets assume one of those 5 coins is a 90%. At todays silver prices you would have recovered about $910.00(melt) in silver at face value.
Doing 4 boxes is a snap. You could pick them up,search them, and dump them,in a couple of hours,depending on how close your banks are. If you want you could still buy silver as well. There are plenty of CRHers that search and buy too. I do.
HH
Rich

Rich,

recheck your math. 1 of the 5 coins is a 90% means $910 in silver value? Wow. Those are some BIG coins. LOL.

I get that one 90% coins is $0.50 at 13X face value is $6.50. If you can show me a way to get $910 from a 90% half, I'll split it with you! :-)

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
jrf30 said:
Rich Hartford said:
d2arcing said:

HH
Rich

Rich,

recheck your math. 1 of the 5 coins is a 90% means $910 in silver value? Wow. Those are some BIG coins. LOL.

I get that one 90% coins is $0.50 at 13X face value is $6.50. If you can show me a way to get $910 from a 90% half, I'll split it with you! :-)
Maybe he means an average of one a week, 52 %90's in year, still though don't quite add up to $900 but could if Silver was $27 or so an ounce.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
What I meant was if he does 4 boxes a week for a year and recovers 5 keepers a week, one of which was a 90%, it would add up to $910.00 worth of silver.
My math goes way downhill as soon as I run out of fingers :help:
HH
Rich

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and the honey do it for quality time. We sit down, open a few boxes, drink a few beers, laugh and talk, then compete with each other to see who can find the most silver. Lately, Mr. Apush has been the winner (but he hands over the silver to Mrs. Apush) :laughing7:. Our finds are meager, but we enjoy the time together.

Of course, this is not a get quick rich scheme for us. We save our "silver" and over the years it would be nice to accumulate some $$$, but we have good memories.

apush :read2:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
apush said:
Me and the honey do it for quality time. We sit down, open a few boxes, drink a few beers, laugh and talk, then compete with each other to see who can find the most silver.

This made me think of my days of partaking in mother nature. Sure would have been enjoyable rolling a fattie and ripping a few rolls while putting a good buzz on and listening to some Floyd...........

Hmmm wonder where that old phone book is..... lol

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
apush said:
Me and the honey do it for quality time. We sit down, open a few boxes, drink a few beers, laugh and talk, then compete with each other to see who can find the most silver. Lately, Mr. Apush has been the winner (but he hands over the silver to Mrs. Apush) :laughing7:. Our finds are meager, but we enjoy the time together.

Of course, this is not a get quick rich scheme for us. We save our "silver" and over the years it would be nice to accumulate some $$$, but we have good memories.

apush :read2:

I can't wait till my wife retires(she works in a school as well) and we can search coins together. She will like it.
HH
Rich

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've averaged about 3.5 per box over the last couple years. If it goes below 2 per box I might toss in the towel. Lately there have been pretty poor pickings. For me it would always depend on how you have to dump your coins. I've been lucky and been able to bag dump for years without fees. I can do a box in under 15 minutes including dumping them. Usually get about one 90% and three 40% per box. It works out ok value wise but the runs of skunks can get tedious. Usually one nice box a month brings up the totals for me.

Maine_Jim

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
A lot of people here just look through coins for the fun of it. Sure, you can always sell for a profit, but with crhing alone, you can't make that much money. Like i said, for most people its just a hobby that we enjoy seeing the occasional nice coin or dream box.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i just do it for the fun of it, and earning is a bonus! but, its not too fun if u have to search a billion boxes 2 get a 40'er...then i draw the line!

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
Interesting topic. Assuming 5 silver halves a week, one being 90%. Times 52 weeks at today's prices you get $910 melt. Rich says it can be done in a couple of hours. 52 weeks x 2 = 104 hours. That gives you about $9/hr. Minus gas money and wear and tear on the vehicle. You also have to consider if you sell you get less than melt. If your motive is purely financial your efforts would be better off doing something else more profitable. If you consider CRH'ing a fun hobby then it's the place to be because how many hobbies actually put money in your pocket?

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
The way I look at it is this. The one grand I use for CRH would be sitting in a savings account, drawing 1% interest, $10. If I can find one coin every day, that is worth $1 over face value, at the end of the year, I would have an extra $365. Right now I am about 20 coins ahead of that pace, and some of those coins are over $5 above face value. I have no fees with my CRHing, and I only made 3 special trips out of town for this hobby. One of which I took by detector with me. I feel that the extra expense of my road trips and driving across town to an extra bank or two, once a week is minimal. JMO.

Last year this hobby earned me the equivalent of all my gasoline and my cable bills.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
dave5710 said:
The way I look at it is this. The one grand I use for CRH would be sitting in a savings account, drawing 1% interest, $10. If I can find one coin every day, that is worth $1 over face value, at the end of the year, I would have an extra $365. Right now I am about 20 coins ahead of that pace, and some of those coins are over $5 above face value. I have no fees with my CRHing, and I only made 3 special trips out of town for this hobby. One of which I took by detector with me. I feel that the extra expense of my road trips and driving across town to an extra bank or two, once a week is minimal. JMO.

Last year this hobby earned me the equivalent of all my gasoline and my cable bills.
I'd like to find a Bank that pays that much, %1 interest, mine pays %0.17 which on $1K in a savings account would pay $1.70, compounded interest it might be as much as 1.76 which makes me wonder why anyone who can add- think would put money in a Bank(?). If it payed %1 it would be paying you $10 annually. I can remember when checking accounts paid over %5.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread