Bank Trouble And My Second Box

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
Well I decided to go open a account on friday. I live in a town with a population of a little over 4,000 people. Went to the bank that my wife has had a saving account at for little over a two years now. Walked in and asked if i could open a savings account and that i have $800 in halves that i would like to deposit into the account. The head teller looks at me and asks me what i was doing with $800 in halves and i told her that i was a coin collector and i searched threw them and picked out the really nice ones for my coin collection and was depositing the one i didn't want in it and she said ok. So I sit down and go threw all the paper work in opening the account and when we where done she said ok we will deposit the coins you have and i said ok, as she picks up the cleverly disguised box that was holding them (a pampers baby wipes box :tongue3:) out walks the bank manager and asks what's in the box so i tell him and he says we can't take them here because we don't have a coin wrapping machine that will wrap them and the tellers would have to wrap them by hand. So I said well can't i hand wrap them and then deposit them and he said no because the would have to open them back up and verify that the count is correct. Then he said we have to verify the count because we send out all of our coins wrapped back to the distributor and i said ok. Then one of the tellers said she would call the main branch in a town that is 56 miles away and why she was doing that the bank manager called me over to his office and we talked some more. He said they have machines that can wrap all the other coin denominations except fifty cent pieces. And he also said that we probably could work somethin out where they take 7% to wrap the coins and i said no thanks, But don't you have to accept this as legal tender anyways and he looks at me and says they are junk and they don't have to except them as, get this U.S. Currency And i laughed and walked out. So I went to the only other bank in town besides the one where i get my halves at and explained the same thing that i was a coin collector and i fill coin books and look for errors and I plan on doing $500 dollars worth a week and the bank manager looks at me and said that would be fine that they put the coins threw a machine and when it is full they pull the bag and and send it off and i said ok, then i told her that i tried the other bank and they told me how they hand roll all there rolls and then send them off and she looked at me and said I quote That Is The Dumbest Thing I Ever Heard, Their Doing The Suppliers Work For Them And Probably Paying For The Pickups Too, Then she laughed. So I deposited $300 and took$500in cash. Went down to to my pickup bank and bought a $500 dollars box and found 1 Ben, 5 64' Kennedy's and 5 40%ers :headbang: So out of 2 boxes I'm averaging 10 keepers per box :hello2: Happy Hunting And Good Luck!!!

Attachments

• Ken 1 001.jpg
    Ken 1 001.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 527
  • ken 2 001.jpg
    ken 2 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 522
Upvote 0

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
wow!!!! you have an amazing average!!!!! amazing!!! also, just so u know for future reference, no one, and no bank has to accept any payment/currency that they deem not acceptable...they do not have to take your halves...heck, a bank could make a rule that they no longer take $20 for deposit anymore...its really their choice...im not trying to be rude, just trying to help. keep it up and hh!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I dig your scans.. clean cut and clear.

It's a joke some of these banks. It's really up to the manager who decides on his own he doesn't like coins. It's really a black and white thing. Either people like them or hate them. I've pondered complaining to the higher chains of command on these issues but haven't done it since I have other dump banks that are ok with it.

Just to annoy that bank, I would go and do smaller deposits there until they learn to trust you. I was able to build rapport with some of my dump banks and they're cool with it and expect my coins every week. I would start depositing $40 at a time. Go in with them wrapped in $20 rolls and have some teller count them. It would bother the manager now that they have to sit on them until they get enough to send out. :laughing7:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Those are great averages on your boxes.

A word of caution though, since you live in such a small town, those banks tellers could be talking. I live in a town of 20,000, and dumping coin is HARD here. I am also starting to get some eye rolling from the tellers, and I dump in SMALL amounts.

For instance, I've been with a bank for nearly 17 years. They are fine people who are always eager to help customers. They have a coin counter in the vault. I've been dumping $80 to $90 worth of halves every other week there...and they are starting to ask questions and getting annoyed.

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
It never ceases to amaze me how rude and obnoxious some banks can be.Always a breath of fresh air to find those which are friendly and helpful.HH

OP
OP
Demon_Wolf

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
This is what i plan on doing, I'm only going to do 1 $500 box a week. Then at my dump bank I will take in $250 dollars on Tuesday and cash it in and put $20 into my savings then the same thing on Thursday. Then on Monday I will go get another $500 box to search. That way I'm hoping that they will see that my account is growing and not just sitting there idol with just $300 in it. And if they start complaining i will just close the account and get a new metal detector i guess. Good Luck And Happy Hunting All!!!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure hopes my bank don't start doing this. I been thinking about opening a saving account at the bank where I order my boxes from and do a deposit of 5 or 10 dollars everytime I go in. So that what they made not start complaining......Matt

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
CHAINCHOMP said:
wow!!!! you have an amazing average!!!!! amazing!!! also, just so u know for future reference, no one, and no bank has to accept any payment/currency that they deem not acceptable...they do not have to take your halves...heck, a bank could make a rule that they no longer take $20 for deposit anymore...its really their choice...im not trying to be rude, just trying to help. keep it up and hh!

I was under a different impresion on that subject of payment.

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
I agree, sometimes bankers can be obtuse. One bank won't give me any boxes at all anymore. They ordered me a box of halves, until they realized there was a charge. Now I can't even get a box of nickels, and I don't even dump there. The manager said she was going to teach me to play darts so I would have another hobby and stop bothering them.

BullionBaron

Feb 17, 2011
Demon_Wolf said:
This is what i plan on doing, I'm only going to do 1 $500 box a week. Then at my dump bank I will take in $250 dollars on Tuesday and cash it in and put $20 into my savings then the same thing on Thursday. Then on Monday I will go get another $500 box to search. That way I'm hoping that they will see that my account is growing and not just sitting there idol with just $300 in it. And if they start complaining i will just close the account and get a new metal detector i guess. Good Luck And Happy Hunting All!!!!

Yeah I've always wondered about keeping my account balance so low. Hmmmmm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread