Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I personally have 5 dump banks, and i try not to dump anymore then 500, The nice thing is i can go on my lunch break to the bank and buy some coins then search them at work and dump on my way home from work, I do that every other day, I do buy coins every day during the week, but save some to search at home

I try not to be in the same dump bank more then 3 times a week, unless they are really cool, Some places like when i come in while other places seem to give me the stare the whole time im dumping

Hope this helps...But word to the wise, First time i ever dumped halves, i dumped 1000 dollars worth at one time, and completly screwed up the machine, so i had to scoop them back out into my bag..so go slow with the big coins

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Well I personally have 5 dump banks, and i try not to dump anymore then 500, The nice thing is i can go on my lunch break to the bank and buy some coins then search them at work and dump on my way home from work, I do that every other day, I do buy coins every day during the week, but save some to search at home

I try not to be in the same dump bank more then 3 times a week, unless they are really cool, Some places like when i come in while other places seem to give me the stare the whole time im dumping

Hope this helps...But word to the wise, First time i ever dumped halves, i dumped 1000 dollars worth at one time, and completly screwed up the machine, so i had to scoop them back out into my bag..so go slow with the big coins
Thanks for the tips, I only have 1 dump bank and usually dump $300 or less when I do not do half dollars and under $700 when I have half dollars from a box.

I use penny arcade at TD bank to dump my coins. I pick up boxes of Pennies, Nickels, and dimes from TD Bank, (never did quarters)

They are cool when I come in there, they know me there :laughing7:

The one teller asks me what boxes of coins I want whenever I go there to dump.

Makes me feel better going there because I am welcome there

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
If its a TD i mix pennies and nickels with 80 in halves if i have access to the reject tube, if no access i use 105 in halves to fill the bag once making sure i get all the rejects. EIther way i do this once a week.

If its a credit union or bank with a half counter i mix with dimes and dump 200-400 in halves no more then once a week. If the machine fills up or has a problem i will stay away for about a month.

If the machine doesnt take halves [like my local peoples] i dump only dimes. Once a week I dump 90-95 in dimes twice. 1 gets deposited 1 gets cashed. Peoples needs an override for amounts over 100. Again if i fill a machine i wont go for a month.

Note any machine i dump dimes i wont dump pennies to make sure it counts right. TD does not count dimes right.

If i am on a long CRH [area i go to 1 or 2 times a year] i will dump 200-300 in halves and possibly dimes.

I also may join a bank with a machine if they have multiple branches with machines.

I at any time will check my records and may dump hand rolls at a bank that my notes say is someone elses dump bank.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have started with 3. I don't know if I will need more or not. I am planning to do at least 2 boxes a week. If I can find another bank to order me some I may go to 4 boxes....Matt

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dump about $300 or so every day or 2 at my CU. They don't have a problem with it and the tellers are all friendly.

It's a customer run counter so the tellers only get a receipt.

I've only jammed the machine once and now I do handfulls at a time. I don't want them to see me as an inconvenience.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Great thread.

Dumping halves, even with the one box a week I get, is difficult in my area. I think I found my new dump bank, and cannot wait until Tuesday to set up an account there.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently dump between 8 - 10 boxes per week at one location, in one transaction. I always call before I call, I bring them in on a hand cart, the guard usually gives watch for me.

No Hassles. I have never had hassles with my dump banks. I set the expectations up front with the vault teller, branch mgr, and regional mgr. Depending on my silver take I also provide some sort of food treat for the staff about once per month.

Let's keep the forum positive.

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV
I try and limit it to less than $2000 at a dump site. I read somewhere that is the limit for SARS report. Plus it is really heavy to carry more than that at a time.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
spjegues said:
I try and limit it to less than $2000 at a dump site. I read somewhere that is the limit for SARS report. Plus it is really heavy to carry more than that at a time.

There has been some confusion on when a bank reports. Whatever the basic number is i believe thay can cause you a hassle at any time you look suspicious.

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV
quiksilver said:
spjegues said:

There has been some confusion on when a bank reports. Whatever the basic number is i believe thay can cause you a hassle at any time you look suspicious.

Your right they can report anything that looks fishy - from the IRS website - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=154555,00.html

When to File a SAR

An MSB must file a SAR when it knows or suspects that:

The funds come from illegal activity or disguise funds from illegal activity;
The transaction is structured to evade BSA requirements or appears to serve no known business or apparent lawful purpose; or,
The MSB is being used to facilitate criminal activity.
There are two different dollar thresholds that require a SAR. They depend on the stage of discovery and the type of transaction involved. A $2,000 threshold applies if a customer is conducting or attempting to conduct a transaction(s) that aggregates to $2,000 or more. A threshold of $5,000 applies for transactions identified by issuers of money orders or traveler’s checks from a review of clearance records. These thresholds are known as the $2,000 front door/$5,000 back door rule. The $2,000 front door transactions are face-to-face with the customer. The $5,000 rule applies after the records have been processed at the issuer level, thus the back door.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So most likely there should be no problem if I go to a dump bank with a coin counting machine once a week and dump $650?
(I usually dump less unless I have half dollars to dump)
My avg dump is usually $100-$300 without halves.
The employees have to change the coin bag every time

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
Fun fact about TD bank I just learned from a teller..... Their machine rejects silver, so ALWAYS check the reject tube, and if they have an envelope where they stash rejects, ask if you can look in it. My one local branch is really cool like that. They get a dozen donuts from me when I go there to dump. Most days I find a dime, maybe even a quarter, some days I find multiple, but mostly its just cool foreign coins to add to the mix. I try and take all the Euros and Pounds I can :)

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dpy52081 said:
Fun fact about TD bank I just learned from a teller..... Their machine rejects silver, so ALWAYS check the reject tube, and if they have an envelope where they stash rejects, ask if you can look in it. My one local branch is really cool like that. They get a dozen donuts from me when I go there to dump. Most days I find a dime, maybe even a quarter, some days I find multiple, but mostly its just cool foreign coins to add to the mix. I try and take all the Euros and Pounds I can :)

That only works with dimes, quarters and foreign. The TD machines will take silver halves.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markmopar said:
dpy52081 said:

That only works with dimes, quarters and foreign. The TD machines will take silver halves.
Funny story, one day I was at TD, and they pulled out the machine. Curious me, I look into the bag to see 3 dull-looking franklins looking at me (obverses)... the teller refused to sell tme the bag as they have to send them out! :BangHead:

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen, too.
I've also had a teller actually cut open a bag and let me switch out the silver ones.
And once, I watched as we filled 10 bags($100/ea) and she sealed all except the first one that was on the machine that I tried buy the silver from. "once it's in there, we can't touch it" she said. Funny how THAT bag wasn't sealed.

vickilynn

May 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites prizm 950 V
Hi , I was hoping to get some info if I could .... My bank explained to me that the coins that get dump in the machine get taken away by the company that owns the machine , Should I still be dumping somewhere else ? Vickilynnn

grampa

Nov 27, 2008
i try to limit my dumping to $1500 per branch per visit... granted they have a metal box vs bags so it doesn't take the tellers any effort at all.. i dump here 2x a week.

When dumping at my other bank that uses bags.. i still do $1-$2k BUT i only go there every few months

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
dpy52081 said:

After reading these posts and dumping at TD myself i can safely say some TD machines reject silver halves and some accept them.

Someone on an earlier post mentioned that these machines can be set at different tollerances

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread