Banks are getting crazy

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Tried getting 100.00 in nickels and 25.00 in pennies and got told to go scratch. Manger said they had a meeting and they can't sell large quanities of coin to retail customers. Says there is no reason to have that amount of change. When I asked how much I could buy he said only a few rolls of each. LOL what a joke

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No business with that much change?! Who is to tell me I cant make all my purchases with nickles if I want? Its a form of legal currency. Thats just a poor excuse for laziness on their part.
Tried getting 100.00 in nickels and 25.00 in pennies and got told to go scratch. Manger said they had a meeting and they can't sell large quanities of coin to retail customers. Says there is no reason to have that amount of change. When I asked how much I could buy he said only a few rolls of each. LOL what a joke

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No business with that much change?! Who is to tell me I cant make all my purchases with nickles if I want? Its a form of legal currency. Thats just a poor excuse for laziness on their part.
I agree.
Maybe the OP should of named this thread "Banks are getting lazy", instead of "Banks are getting crazy".

admrose

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Berks County
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I've found some branches that honestly don't mind rolled coin and are actually very friendly even when I'm depositing $500 in halves or quarters. Most branches will KILL for dimes as they constantly seem to be in short supply. Other branches however will feel each roll and then compare them to make sure I'm not trying to screw the bank out of fifty cents. One teller actually told me "this roll only has 19." I wanted to tell her to go through the other $490 in halves and find the roll with 21, but I settled for just having her change my deposit ticket to $499.50.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, the bank wouldn't take a mere 300 dollars of coinage? never heard of that happening. Worse comes to worse, when the weather is nutty, I just spend a day rolling them and I take them to my workplace, a store, and they take them. If a bank won't take the coinage, go to the nearest grocery store, ask the cashier manager and see if they will take them for their safe. My Cash Office manager has done this a couple of times with dimes and quarters. I don't do it with nickels because they don't go through boxes of nickels that fast. She's told me this. And gas stations, burger joints, they all like coinage. Ask to exchange a couple of rolls for some dollars. If you live in a small town like me, I can walk and exchange coinage to 10 different stores in less than 30 minutes.

I haven't had serious problem returning coins, except my one credit union recently changed their return fees. 50 cents for the first 100 and then 2% fee for anything after that. But I have wondered about that fee because when I returned 205 dollars before the change fee hike, they charged me a 10 dollar fee. Now I know that is more than 2% but my math skills really stink. Does anyone know if you times an amount by .2 or .02 to get the 2% fee amount?

Thanks and good luck with the dumps,
Garoulady

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, but I'm sure that private businesses are still free to specify which forms of legal tender they will accept, and if they don't want to accept more than $5 in nickles, that's their right.
Gas stations around here do it all the time. Many of them won't accept $50 or $100 bills as payment.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread