Banner Finds being given out alot more now on new forum??

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, using your logic Rare Ancient Coin, or CW artifacts are not rare either, look at the museums they are full of them around the world, what is rare is finding them in the real world, just as it is rare to find a $10,000 diamond ring in the real world...

Rings and jewelry like those on banner belong on the banner just as much as ancient coins do.... Treasure doesn't mean rare, treasure is defined as "wealth or riches stored or accumulated, especially in the form of precious metals, money, jewels, or plate. often one which is considered lost or forgotten until being rediscovered."

I have beach hunted for 6 years, found 8 diamond rings, found 4 more diamond earrings, and still havent found close to a $10,000 diamond ring, I know at least 10 other hunters personally and none of them have found a $10,000 diamond ring and i bet the combined total time detecting for the 10 or 11 of us is well over 50 years and still no $10,000 ring......

$10,000 diamond rings found on the beach are rare.............
Your post doesn't make any sence, Rare ancient coins or CW atrifacts not rare:icon_scratch: Rare is Rare, as in not many found. Take the Anglo saxon pennies recently found by UK posters, if you look on the coin corpus and see how many have been found then they are extremly rare, now a $10,000 modern ring might be the score of a life time but in no terms rare. If I set myself a target of finding a $10,000 ring or a Coin of Offa, the ring would be favourite. Don't forget the $10,000 was just a tongue in cheek about how les hard it is to find a pricey ring from the beach, rather than finding a ancient coin or scarse CW artifact.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Count how many $10,000 rings there are on the banner compared to how many civil war artifacts or ancient coins are on the banner, seems to me they are a lot rarer than you think since very, very few have ever been posted....

My point is a $10,000 ring found by a member is rare and has as much right on the banner as a button off an officers coat from the civil war... Site is TreasureNet, treasures come in all forms..... If someone found 100 gold Krugerrand coins dated in the 2000s while detecting would they qualify for the banner? They would not be old, they are made in the tens of thousands, but I would think they still qualify for the banner....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CW relics are found routinely. Very few of them are "scarce" or truly rare.
It is "extremely hard & rare" to find a $10'000 ring on a beach. Just about any water and beach hunter will tell you this same thing.
I appreciate your romance with history, I really do, but a "rare find" is "rare find" regardless of the long history that is, or is not, attached to it. :icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Count how many $10,000 rings there are on the banner compared to how many civil war artifacts or ancient coins are on the banner, seems to me they are a lot rarer than you think since very, very few have ever been posted....

My point is a $10,000 ring found by a member is rare and has as much right on the banner as a button off an officers coat from the civil war... Site is TreasureNet, treasures come in all forms..... If someone found 100 gold Krugerrand coins dated in the 2000s while detecting would they qualify for the banner? They would not be old, they are made in the tens of thousands, but I would think they still qualify for the banner....
I think you confusing Rare with Valuble.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your confusing TreasureNet, with a muesum..... Treasure comes in all forms, it doesn't have to be old to be a treasure....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're all confusing what's a rare item vs a rare find. The banner is a combination of both, as it should be, but I am much more in favor of the rare (or valuable) item making it. Context doesn't do much for me.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:

Like I said earlier it was just in my view, it opened up the thread a little and even got Treasure Nets pit bull to comment :laughing7: perhaps a two banner might work, with modern and ancient, banners. :dontknow:

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're all confusing what's a rare item vs a rare find. The banner is a combination of both, as it should be.

Totally agree....:icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your confusing TreasureNet, with a muesum..... Treasure comes in all forms, it doesn't have to be old to be a treasure....
I bet if you google Treasure (which I haven't) I bet a $10,000 modern ring doesn't come up.

Last edited by a moderator:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not naming names but there is one particular banner find that I find confusing in many aspects as to why it is there. Value (in respect to condition), rarity (not), very new member, very small amount of posts at time of banner. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. While we're at it, where are the guidelines for banner consideration located at now? I can't seem to find them. I thought I knew my way around this place pretty good now, I guess not.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you confusing Rare with Valuble.

This is a "Treasure Hunting Site".....not a "History Hunting Site"...it is not "HistoryNet"...it is "TreasureNet". Grab your dictionary, look up "treasure". I believe you will find it defined as being something like; riches, wealth, valuable, etc. I don't think it will say; "Only historically significant items". I think you are the one who is a bit confused. Perhaps after you've looked up the dentition of treasure and spent years on end metal detecting beaches without finding a $10'000 ring you would understand the flaw in your comments.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a "Treasure Hunting Site".....not a "History Hunting Site"...it is not "HistoryNet"...it is "TreasureNet". Grab your dictionary, look up "treasure". I believe you will find it defined as being something like; riches, wealth, valuable, etc. I don't think it will say; "Only historically significant items". I think you are the one who is a bit confused. Perhaps after you've looked up the dentition of treasure and spent years on end metal detecting beaches without finding a $10'000 ring you would understand the flaw in your comments.
Back off numpty...this is a discussion not a war,,jees

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back off numpty...this is a discussion not a war,,jees

No war intended.....just saying.....by definition treasure is treasure regardless of the item's history. If all a guy does is beach hunt and he is lucky enough to ever find a very valuable ring......"BANNER" for him due to his area of personal treasure hunting interest. :thumbsup: You said you don't beach hunt, or specifically ring hunt, but a great many beach "treasure hunters" do.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet if you google Treasure (which I haven't) I bet a $10,000 modern ring doesn't come up.

I did, that is where my quote come from....

treasure is defined as "wealth or riches stored or accumulated, especially in the form of precious metals, money, jewels, or plate. often one which is considered lost or forgotten until being rediscovered."

Here are more from more sourses...

Noun: A quantity of precious metals, gems, or other valuable objects.

n.
1. Accumulated or stored wealth in the form of money, jewels, or other valuables.
2. Valuable or precious possessions of any kind.
3. One considered especially precious or valuable.

a (1) : wealth (as money, jewels, or precious metals) stored up or hoarded <buried treasure> (2) : wealth of any kind or in any form : riches b : a store of money in reserve
2: something of great worth or value; also : a person esteemed as rare or precious
3: a collection of precious things
Why has your reply come up as if I posted it.:icon_scratch: Oh I see you edited my post...moderater priveliges.???

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why has your reply come up as if I posted it.:icon_scratch: Oh I see you edited my post...moderater priveliges.???

No SS, I was quoting you I evidently hit the wrong post, I have corrected it in my original post... I would not edit anyones posts unless it breaks Treasurenet rules....

I did google Treasure and below is what comes up....

treasure is defined as "wealth or riches stored or accumulated, especially in the form of precious metals, money, jewels, or plate. often one which is considered lost or forgotten until being rediscovered."
Here are more from more sourses...
Noun: A quantity of precious metals, gems, or other valuable objects.

n.
1. Accumulated or stored wealth in the form of money, jewels, or other valuables.
2. Valuable or precious possessions of any kind.
3. One considered especially precious or valuable.

a (1) : wealth (as money, jewels, or precious metals) stored up or hoarded <buried treasure> (2) : wealth of any kind or in any form : riches b : a store of money in reserve
2: something of great worth or value; also : a person esteemed as rare or precious
3: a collection of precious things

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions