bannerstone drill core

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Here is a photo of a bannerstone drill core. It is made of yellow and white quartz. Its made during the reed drilling of a quartz bannerstone.

I have seen only a few of these. I obtained this core from Ben Thompson in 2006. I consider these a rare relic, much rarer than bannerstones.

the measurements are 1 1/4 inches in length, approximately 1/2 inch wide on the widest part, but this is not truly round, the opposite end is approximately 1/4 inch wide, again not truly round.
bannerstone_core.jpg bannerstone_core_smallest.jpg

bannerstone_core_widest2.jpg

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty cool! I have never seen one of those before, but understand how they could exist. I suspect most of those cores would have been intentionally broken up or chipped out as the reed drilling progressed. Thanks for posting.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Cool Piece!!

Must be water worn since drilling marks don't appear to exist, is that the case?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool I don’t recall seeing one before I also assumed that they would have came out in small sections at a time and broke apart but good to learn something nee

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I don't think its water worn. you will not see drill lines similar to a stone drill since the cane is much softer.

It is well polished from the abrasive material, likely sand or a silica material, and the reed. Note on the larger end you can still see the peck marks from the shaping process.

See this on drilling a banner

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome piece and something I've always wanted to find.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a preform bead?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Boy, that's a rare bird! I can show you another, but tough to photograph or measure. It's still attached at the base of the drill hole in an unfinished bannerstone from Rhode Island. It's hardstone, something in the granite family...

IMG_9464.JPG

IMG_9465.PNG

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice.

I wonder what prevented its completion.

Doesn't seem to be an obvious reason whatsoever. Sometimes we can just never know. This was from an old collection. Things like this were sometimes interred with the deceased, to be completed in the next world. But I've no idea if that's the case here. I know the collection it came from, but not the circumstances of the find....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread