Bannerstone

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this bannerstone with some odd markings or natural depressions on the face. Has anyone seen similar weathering or markings?
Also, we've found bannerstones that are museum quality and others that were obviously well used. I'd like to know what everyone's theory is on their usage. Some common theories are: atlatl weights, cordage guides, fire starters, etc. I'm still at odds with their utilitarian usages, although I think the ornate types were for ceremonial decoration.
The bannerstone pictured here was obviously more utilitarian than decorative, and I'd love to know exactly how it was used. Thanks!

View attachment 1440243
View attachment 1440244
View attachment 1440245
View attachment 1440247

Upvote 0

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if it is a bannerstone just because of its size and weight?? A bit large and heavy.
I've experienced with atlatl and made my own bannerstone , without the stone attached it would be like throwing your arm without any resistance . Like throwing a baseball or nothing at all. Hurts the arm without the weight! Doesn't take much to make it too heavy!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the material its made from? Also where was it found. I saw a local guy in my area found one made from a pyrite mix of a stone but it was smaller than yours.

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if it is a bannerstone just because of its size and weight?? A bit large and heavy.
I've experienced with atlatl and made my own bannerstone , without the stone attached it would be like throwing your arm without any resistance . Like throwing a baseball or nothing at all. Hurts the arm without the weight! Doesn't take much to make it too heavy!

I personally don't think they - meaning the types of bannerstones I've found- were used as atatl weights. For starters, the holes are too small, even in the smaller ones, for an atlatl to fit through. I've found other implements that have been called atlatl weights, like bar weights and geniculate bannerstones, that would make much more sense as a weight. Tying one on of the type pictured would be difficult and doesn't fit the design.

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the material its made from? Also where was it found. I saw a local guy in my area found one made from a pyrite mix of a stone but it was smaller than yours.

It looks like a type of granite, but I could be wrong. Found in southwest Georgia a few miles east of the Chattahoochee River.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting material......your killing me holding it over that marble floor. Lets see a picture of the drilling in the hole.

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting material......your killing me holding it over that marble floor. Lets see a picture of the drilling in the hole.

I'll get you one in the next few days. I left it at my dad's house today after Easter brunch. The hole is very worn and smooth, if that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread