Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent the morning detecting at the 1804 property today, and yes folks, I finally got a silver coin. ;D :thumbsup:
Here's a video of a "mystery coin" I dug today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ARUFZyRakg
It is posted in the "what is it" section too.

My other finds were:
* A well worn Barber dime. It looks like possibly an 1892 or 1893. :icon_scratch:

* A beautiful gold gilt 1800's flower button with shank. Back mark is "Benedict & Burnham Extra".

*1919"S" wheat

*Eyeglasses (?)

*Princess Pat cosmetic compact

*Silver plated buckle

*Bullet or hollow lead piece. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-174S.JPG
    MVC-174S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 681
  • MVC-175S.JPG
    MVC-175S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 689
  • MVC-183S.JPG
    MVC-183S.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 667
  • MVC-182S.JPG
    MVC-182S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 685
  • MVC-180S.JPG
    MVC-180S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 666
  • MVC-179S.JPG
    MVC-179S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 674
  • MVC-175S.JPG
    MVC-175S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 672
  • MVC-174S.JPG
    MVC-174S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 681
  • MVC-178S.JPG
    MVC-178S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 700
  • MVC-177S.JPG
    MVC-177S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 685
  • MVC-176S.JPG
    MVC-176S.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Killer finds today Doug! Congrats on the silver as well. I'd love to know if that is a coin - it sure looks like it could be. The "glasses" you dug could have also come off a pair of "opera glasses" from way back - very cool all around my friend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

After looking at that pic of the glasses again, I'd almost certainly say that piece came from a pair of binoculars (the small ones were known as "opera glasses"). :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
Killer finds today Doug! Congrats on the silver as well. I'd love to know if that is a coin - it sure looks like it could be. The "glasses" you dug could have also come off a pair of "opera glasses" from way back - very cool all around my friend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

After looking at that pic of the glasses again, I'd almost certainly say that piece came from a pair of binoculars (the small ones were known as "opera glasses"). :thumbsup:

Andy,
I was wondering about those glasses too. They just seemed to thick to be old frames, and that circle in the center pointed to something other than glasses frames. I think you hit the nail on the head with the binocular style opera glasses. Very cool.
I've found one Rosie and a Barber now, but no Merc yet. No IH either. :icon_scratch: I was hoping to find my elusive LC at this place, but nothing yet. :-\
-Doug-
P.S. I got a nice tan today. ;D :wink:

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
ModernMiner said:
DD-777 said:

Andy,
I was wondering about those glasses too. They just seemed to thick to be old frames, and that circle in the center pointed to something other than glasses frames. I think you hit the nail on the head with the binocular style opera glasses. Very cool.
I've found one Rosie and a Barber now, but no Merc yet. No IH either. :icon_scratch: I was hoping to find my elusive LC at this place, but nothing yet. :-\
-Doug-
P.S. I got a nice tan today. ;D :wink:

Glad you got some color - now you won't be so pasty... :tongue3:

Yeah, the more I look at that piece, the more I'm sure of binoculars. I'm thinking it was part of the focusing mechanism.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.... I believe your mystery coin is a lincoln penny that has been defaced.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 609

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Looks like a good day of hunting to me.

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds MM, Congrats on the silver!!

HH Joe (Finman)

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oooh, yea i was gonna say wow that looks crazy old and unfamiliar but yea it does just look like a wheat. but sweet other finds. never know what could turn up at those old houses you know? keep drilling it! 8)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANGLANGLEY said:
Very nice finds.... I believe your mystery coin is a lincoln penny that has been defaced.

A GREAT ID, Langley!!! :thumbsup: It is Most Certainly a defaced wheat!

Some great finds for you today, Doug--and some fantastic photos too!

Keep it up, my friend, and you'll make another newspaper this year. 8)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Doug,

With all the amazing finds you've been making lately, you're bound to find your elusive large cent any day now. :thumbsup:

That's a nice worn barber you've got there. Probably in circulation 20-30 years after its mint date.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Finds MM. Glad you finally got some silver and a mystery penny. The opera glasses indicate that well to do folks lived there so they had BIG SILVER to drop. Don't give up on that site. HH.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANGLANGLEY said:

Great eye Dang. :thumbsup: It is indeed an abused wheat.
Thanks,
MM

Captn_SE said:
Doug,

With all the amazing finds you've been making lately, you're bound to find your elusive large cent any day now. :thumbsup:

That's a nice worn barber you've got there. Probably in circulation 20-30 years after its mint date.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan,
I hope I don't go another year without finding an LC. Everyone else makes it look so easy. ;D
-Doug-
P.S. A nice Walker like you found wouldn't be bad either. :wink:

plehbah said:
The bad news is that your Barber dime is very worn.

The good news is that those always pleasantly surprise you because they read like zinc pennies due to silver loss!

Nice fins!

Thanks Plehbah.
At least that Barber was a sign that there may be some more goodies left at this place for me. :thumbsup:
-MM-

VOL1266-X said:
Nice Finds MM. Glad you finally got some silver and a mystery penny. The opera glasses indicate that well to do folks lived there so they had BIG SILVER to drop. Don't give up on that site. HH.

Thanks VOL.
Now if I could just locate that jar of money they were watching with those opera glasses. ;D
-MM-

tymcmurray said:
Nice Hunt!!!
That "Countestamed" licoln is pretty cool.
Aren't you running out of sites yet??? LMAO!!!

Thanks Ty.
No, I still have a few places on my list to detect. :wink:
-Doug-

***THANKS FOR THE REPLIES FOLKS***

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread