Barber on my first dig!!

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hello everyone,Got up and out earrrly this morning in hopes of beating the rain to my site.Although the finds are few and far between, my "new" old fairground keeps givin' up the goodies.I decided to try an area that is close to where I've been finding the good stuff but haven't done more than a quick swing through because it is an area that has been bushhogged and there are alot of short sapling stumps that a concentric coil gets hung up on constantly so it's really hard detecting.I had not gone more than ten feet and I got a good hit.There is an ATV trail that runs along side this area and I had previously found some clad along it so I figured it was probably more of the same.I dug a plug and out popped a blackened disc and once again I thought it was just a clad quarter,once again I wiped acrossed it with my thumb and once again bam there it was,another barber quarter!!It is an 1895P!I thought to myself,this is going to be a good morning.I swung a little more and came up with a 1919 wheatie and then along the ATV trail I came up with a few modern coins and then the rain moved in.I went home happy as a pig in $#!+ with my first dig of the day being a barber quarter.Thanks for reading and best of luck to all!! Bootstrap

Attachments

• MVC-851F.JPG
    MVC-851F.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 603
  • MVC-852F.JPG
    MVC-852F.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 597
  • MVC-853F.JPG
    MVC-853F.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 597
  • MVC-854F.JPG
    MVC-854F.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 596
Upvote 0

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Nice Barber quarter, boots. I don't mean to lecture, but it's not a good idea to wipe across a silver coin with you thumb. That's a good way to put hairline scratches on the surface of the coin, which will definitely decrease the value of the coin. You should carry a small squirt bottle of water with you and use it to rinse the surface dirt from the coin. HH
Bob

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Thanks for the replies guys.No need for the lecture,I know better but I really thought it was just a clad quarter.I've even given the same lecture myself but sometimes human nature forces us to act before we think,I'll try to do better next time.Thanks again, Bootstrap

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice barber!

Nice way to start the hunt off!

Congratulations!

Ridley

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice Barber! One of the nice features of the silver farm is a creek that runs by; this allows each piece of silver to have a gentle bath without rubbing. We've all blemished a coin that way.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on your first dig, not a bad way to start a hunt!!! Very nice!!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
;D ;D sweet Q there,, ya gotta love it !!!!! it's great when they're unexpected .......

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
sorry wasn't trying to lecture, as I said I did the same thing. It was like duho when I did it I just couldn't stop myself :-[

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to bring a spray bottle but I never use it, always the tumb. Yea, we don't want to scratch our valueable 3-6 dollar coins. ;D

Joking, Nice find !

Keep @ it and HH!!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
WTG Vinn!!!! :o ...That Old Barber Silver makes me Giddy... ;D I'd a been dancin' to dig that on my first target!! :o

Congrats and HH,
Hank 8)

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boot...nice Barber!!! I was hoping to get out a bit this a.m. before the rain hit as well, however it was pouring at sunrise so that shot that....glad to see it held off your way long enough to get out some.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome barber. Thats the way to get a hunt started. ;D I cant tell you how many hunts i've had where the first find was a keeper......but it was the only keeper. It's good to get it out of the way early.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another case of the good start bad finish day. I hate a start like that. I always call nothing a good start & a silver a bad start. :D

Well done 8)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds and man i love that barber !!!! congrats ;)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That's the way to start a hunt! Keep em coming!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey Bootstrap, congrats on your barber quarter. Your first dig, huh? I've found silver on my first dig a few times this year. It feels real good to get one right off the bat.

On the topic of rubbing your finds....I say you can do anything you want to the coins YOU found. Sure, we all know that rubbing a dirty silver coin will scratch it. When I pull a silver out of the ground, and I see it it heavily oxidized, I'm not going to ruin it any further than it already is. In fact, when I dig oxidized common silvers, I prefer them all shiny, so I will clean them when I get home. Not to make the coin more valuable, but because I like shiny silver. However, if I see that any of the silver I dig is in good condition, I'm more careful with it.

Go get some more!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread