Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All.
As a youth/tween, I absolutely cherished baseball ⚾. Many do.
But, recently I've been asked to play again. (Keep in mind I'm middle age). Most likely at first base, as Ima southpaw. Position will be on a work related team.
Question; what are the best gloves these days?! I stopped by Dicks Sporting Goods and was confused to see synthetics commonly used in ball gloves now.
Back in "the day", all gloves were leather. I miss that.
Some of these "new" gloves are well over $200?
Any recommendations..?
Thanks
Peace ✌

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there, done that....

Garage sales will be your best bet, get a cheap mitt already broken in, just gotta get your hand shaped into it..
and as far as playing.... stretch, and then stretch some more. Before you even get a glove, start stretching. Find a routine, and stretch, stretch, stretch!!!!

Legs, quads, calves, groin muscles, Achilles... trust me brother.
Your first game, your up in the 5th inning, 2 on, 1 out, ... you hit a weak grounder to 2nd, and in trying to beat out a double play, you run faster than you have in years... presto, your out of work.(and the inning is over)

I played ball my whole life, and I have seen it over and over, where older players trying to recapture their little league days try to hard to be the man... best advice? take it easy... and stretch.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, buy a used mit that is broken in well....it will make you look like you never skipped a beat in the old ball diamond. But yes, take it easy, you could spoil that front if you throw your back out trying to be the guy or kid you used to be.:laughing7:

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas.
I'm quite active, lift 5 days a week, job is extremely physical, etc. Physical fitness is a priority.
I was just simply amazed at the cost of "gloves" now.
Be darned if I spend $200. I'll buy a G Carrot and used glove. ;)
Thanks
Peace ✌

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An $85 Rawlings fielders glove fits just fine. ;)
Peace ✌

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Kid, when I was a boy and the store that sold baseball stuff a fielders glove was $5. way beyond any money I had. Be thankful your probably in a place where you can make the sacrifice and buy a proper glove.
My neighbor plays retired baseball and travels a lot to play in his league. It's the high point of his year. Good for you for staying in shape. Enjoy.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy a new glove keep in mind that a lot of sport stores will steam them for a small charge. After they steam them they feel nice and flexible :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread