Todays spelling

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's spelling

Have any of you noticed how absolutely horrid people's spelling has become? You would think with auto correct etc that most mistakes would be caught but not the story it seems. I have seen the word "cheep" used as a term for inexpensive recently which caused me to post this but I've had this on my mind for some time. I fully understand autocorrect causing the use of a wrong word but not a misspelling.
Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed how poor people's spelling has become. Sad, so very sad.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to disagree but I have a problem with auto correct changing correctly spelled words to misspelled words quite often and not catch it until I post it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auto correct has helped me out a few times and it has also done me in a few times, so has my touch screen key board. Some times the first key blinks but does not show up on the screen or i hit the letter next to the one I want (keys are small), so I end up with something strange. I want to say: Nice silver, and it puts: Nice liver!
I need no help doing myself in, I can handle that all on my own! Lol!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to take the time to post something, take an extra minute to proof read before hitting the reply button.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auto correct has helped me out a few times and it has also done me in a few times, so has my touch screen key board. Some times the first key blinks but does not show up on the screen or i hit the letter next to the one I want (keys are small), so I end up with something strange. I want to say: Nice silver, and it puts: Nice liver!
I need no help doing myself in, I can handle that all on my own! Lol!

I always thought my Liver was rather striking myself :thumbsup:

my h key seems to only work half the time

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya one of these days having a touch screen is going to get me in trouble...don't ever try to swat a bug off of it...not pretty!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Ure gunna get urself yelled at fer pickin on pepels speling.

Its bean tried afore and all youse do is gets yelled at.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an old wireless keyboard at home. After numerous beer & Jim Beam soakings and occasional cat hair-balls it has about half the letters worn off. I've tried metallic markers but they don't last. I am a sight typist at best and when I'm poking and hoping I have a lot of unique words appear on the screen.

Then there are the texts I get from my nieces and nephews. It's like trying to read Assembler code: BGH RFT HML TLG???

And the advertising world has poisoned our minds: Lite, Site, Nite

American English is a very transient language. That actually has pluses and minuses.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no matter how badly someone misspells a word , I can usually translate it unconsciously .
so no harm no foul imo.

This isn't a School English Class test,
or an application for a job as Editor of the New York Times

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, maybe he was talking about Tori Spelling and his computer corrected auto corrected it to say Todays Spelling

Man, Tori might be insulted...

Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 2.26.10 PM.png

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya gotta shorten words to tweet. Maybe by the time some get out of school they are tired of being corrected and enjoy the right to misspell.
When did we become the spell police?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's amazing how the brain works. After we are "conditioned" to read the brain looks at the first and last letters of a word and can interpret the rest.

Try reading this:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how the brain works. After we are "conditioned" to read the brain looks at the first and last letters of a word and can interpret the rest.

Try reading this:

Right ! I wouldn't want to see whole posts like that.
but it shows our little Misspellings mean nothing to people who have leaned to read years ago.

a 5 Year old may have a problem sounding them out, but a 25 year old shouldn't

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Have any of you noticed how absolutely horrid people's spelling has become? You would think with auto correct etc that most mistakes would be caught but not the story it seems. I have seen the word "cheep" used as a term for inexpensive recently which caused me to post this but I've had this on my mind for some time. I fully understand autocorrect causing the use of a wrong word but not a misspelling.
Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed how poor people's spelling has become. Sad, so very sad.
I really do not care how great a person can or can not spell... Some of the best people i know can not spell that good .... And some of the worse people i know can spell great... I try not to put one's down because of some small fault they have...

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm grateful for the spelling errors of other posters. They make me feel smart.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember that it violates our rules to correct members grammar....There are no grammar police here..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's just say I'm not prefect and don't claim to be.

Charlie P may have something there, because even when I proof read the mistakes don't always register till it posts. Kinda like when you're looking for something and it's there, but what your eyes see doesn't register with your brain.....or is that just me??? ......that explains the lack of gold finds.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's just say I'm not prefect and don't claim to be.

Charlie P may have something there, because even when I proof read the mistakes don't always register till it posts. Kinda like when you're looking for something and it's there, but what your eyes see doesn't register with your brain.....or is that just me???

happens to me allot .
I don't even see the red lines saying Error, but after I hit Post I usually see a missing h or
other error

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread