Batten down the hatches, SADS.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may find your post as being "Over the Top" but I say it is appropriate considering the threat!

Over the top ?

I'm usually on the bottom :P

Anyway...
Once you've witnessed / lived through a few of these you tend to "respect" them.

I am just hoping to reach someone who has reservations on the potential severity to think it through.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the top ?

I'm usually on the bottom :P

Anyway...
Once you've witnessed / lived through a few of these you tend to "respect" them.

I am just hoping to reach someone who has reservations on the potential severity to think it through.

Yep! I came close to being killed in November of 1980 when a late season Tropical Depression (which later became a Tropical Storm then a Hurricane named Jeanne) spawned a Waterspout that came ashore on the East end of Stock Island (actually Raccoon Key) and crossed US-1. If I had not had to stop in a foot of water to remove a Crescent Wrench which penetrated the floorboard of the Government Car I was driving, I probably would have been in the Waterspout's path when it knocked down the power poles with double transformers across the highway just before the bridge to Rockland Key where Boca Chica Naval Air Station is located. I was headed to the Upper Air Site at the Boca Chica Naval Station which the National Weather Service leased. Some Floridians will well remember this storm as it is the one that dumped over 23 inches of rain on Key West (Cayo Hueso) and flooded the island. There were pics in the Miami Herald and Key West Citizen of a guy that rowed his' boat up Duval Street, through the garage type doors of Sloppy Joe's Bar, rowed up to the Bar, dropped anchor and ordered a beer.

Frank

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
SADS is all ok now that its passed by? ... ITS HEADED MY WAY NOW STRONG CAT 3 (125 MPH) / BORDER ON 4 (130

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is some good news for FL. Last trajectory has the eye staying off shore. Directly over 1715 wrecksites, but not making landfall. Praying that holds true in the next few hours.

Of course all the spawned tornadoes are the big threat on land - at least that's what put my tree on my roof in 2004's Charley.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 2.33.45 AM.png

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
while a hurricane landfall would be very bad where ever it struck -- the hurricane walking up the coast just off shore and staying on the water allows it to stay strong and hammer the entire eastern side of the state from Miami to Fernandina .. with 120 to 130 MPH winds with lots of rain and flooding plus huge storm surges of water causing much more damage over a much wider area than if it just did a landfall and died out

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Many of us are concerned for Kevin and his family. Here's an update from a friend of Kevin's:

Hey friends of Kevin James. I just got a hold of Kevin after the storm passed last night. They are doing great. "The storm has passed. No damage to the house or the roof (that he installed- wanted me to point that out). There is no power or internet at the house." They will be in touch when they can but wanted me to assure friends and family that they are fine. He also said he did a quick spot check of the island on the way to the marina and the power lines are up and things look mostly in tact. He was encouraged and said it's night and day completed to last year. Finally he said, "please tell those north of us to that we wish them all the best as the storm heads that way.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of us are concerned for Kevin and his family. Here's an update from a friend of Kevin's:

Hey friends of Kevin James. I just got a hold of Kevin after the storm passed last night. They are doing great. "The storm has passed. No damage to the house or the roof (that he installed- wanted me to point that out). There is no power or internet at the house." They will be in touch when they can but wanted me to assure friends and family that they are fine. He also said he did a quick spot check of the island on the way to the marina and the power lines are up and things look mostly in tact. He was encouraged and said it's night and day completed to last year. Finally he said, "please tell those north of us to that we wish them all the best as the storm heads that way.

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to here all is well. Prey for nassau !!!

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Great update Darren!

Glad to hear such good news so fast. Gives much hope here.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, hurricanes have no steering forces by themselves. It will come close enough to kill people. It's like a nuke, close counts.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember, hurricanes have no steering forces by themselves. It will come close enough to kill people. It's like a nuke, close counts.

"Hurricanes have no steering forces by themselves" is a wrong assumption! It is well known and has been documented that Category 4 and Category 5 Hurricanes create or can create their' own enclosed Mesoscale environment, independent from any surrounding Weather Systems. Hurricanes that have traveled different directions from the Steering Winds, punched through Frontal Boundaries and/or High Pressure Ridges has also been well documented. I know this as fact as I worked for the National Weather Service for almost 33 years as a Meteorological Technician and Hydrological-Meteorological Technician, 6 years of which were in Key West with almost daily contact with the National Hurricane Center during Hurricane Season and sometimes earlier or later if the conditions warranted.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad that Kevin, his wife and dog made it through Hurricane Matthew okay and hope that all the folks in the Bahamas faired the same!

On another note, the latest Satellite images show that Matthew's Eye is becoming more well defined which is indicative of strengthening.

Frank

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren-

Thankyou VERY much for passing along that good news.... I will admit, I've been more than alittle concerned the last 2 nights about Kevin and Audrey.

Folks.... this is one of those "little" things about this community that is SO BIG when you really look around at life. No matter what, no matter where, this group knows whats important, and never forgets that how lucky we really are are to a part of a community that cares about the people that make us what and who we are. Kudo's to those that make the difference...

Ag

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well the great news is that I survived another ball busting hurricane.

The bad news is, that there are still no permits being issued for all the treasure that this hurricane has almost certainly uncovered.

Oh well best just keep abusing my friends on this site and being nice to those I hope to make my friends, will have to do in the short term?.....

Ps Get stuffed Old Man....oh and you Ag.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475797571.970520.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sads... glad to see you weathered the storm.

Now go beach detecting asap.
Btw... what is the Bahamian "stance" on beach detecting ?

And don't say something like "they bend their knees".. :P

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bad news is, that there are still no permits being issued for all the treasure that this hurricane has almost certainly uncovered.

Oh well best just keep abusing my friends on this site and being nice to those I hope to make my friends, will have to do in the short term?.....

View attachment 1367229

Well, it would only be right for you to check the obvious spots and inventory the treasures uncovered...

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

View attachment 1367229

lmao...yup...SADS weathered the storm with no ill effects it seems...I imagine he's running around the island screaming at kids.." GIT OFF MY LAWN!!"

Glad ya didn't take a hit Kevin... now lets hope our guys on the Treasure coast don't get smeared...

ag

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SADS weathered the storm with no ill effects it seems..

So everything is a pre-existing condition !?!?!

double tap...

3g9vl.jpg

Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is ample scientific evidence that the Hurricane will suck up all the gold from the bottom, and rain it down, covering a certain area of FLA about 2 feet deep in gold coins. I have determined the location where this will occur, and have already filed an admiralty arrest under the law of finds, so dont even think about jumping my claim.

Will send pictures (afterwards)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread