Wood hunting in the UK! The more holes the better, teredo and all!

OldHammerer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I recently found this forum and have become addicted, after having spent my youth with a metal detector in the UK I always loved the thrill of the unknown and I still have a hammered silver (the best thing I ever found!) in my wallet.

I'm a hobbyist blacksmith now and make kitchen knives with a wild array of different handle types. I love the idea of reusing old things, the older and gnarlier the better, most of my early knives were ancient files, spanners and horseshoes, long since rusted!
You can probably see where this is going, recently I started using driftwood in my handles, I clean them, stabilise and then fill the cracks with resin, I really enjoy turning something around and giving it a new life.

I was hoping I might be able to source some old wood from someone, my favourite stuff to use has been worm eaten, the more holey the better, the best stuff I ever used were several small pieces of driftwood that were some form of ancient hardwood from a wreck, the minerals and degradation made the handle look great and gave it character.

I wouldn't want to run afoul of any laws or moral issues and in all honesty I'm not sure where I stand on that, but if anyone has a nice old piece gathering dust somewhere and would be kind enough to part with it I'll cover shipping and make you a knife to boot (kitchen knife that is!)

I hope this isn't asking too much, I've seen how helpful you have all been before.

Best regards

Dave

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If I carried a chain saw with me and had a way to get the cut pieces of wood out of the mountains near me while Ginseng hunting, I could send you some still intact and beautiful pieces of Old Timey Chestnut. These are downed trees of the original Old Timey Chestnut trees that died out during the 1920's and 1930's due to a blight. Surprisingly, some of these old dead trees still have some solid pieces inside them, although from looking at the outside, you would not think that was the case. I found one yesterday while Ginseng hunting and what was left of the old stump. There was some beautiful Burl in the stump but sadly, the stump was too rotted to get some solid pieces for use! I found one tree about two weeks ago deep in a hollow halfway down the side of a large mountain that had a 20 to maybe 30 foot long and close to 3 foot diameter section that appeared to be solid inside. It would be no problem to cut the section out but getting a 1,000 pound or more log up the mountain to the closest grownup old logging road which is a quarter mile away or more, would be one heck of a task. If intact inside and one could salvage boards from a 2 foot x 2 foot x 20 foot long section, I would imagine that the lumber would be worth close to $3,000 or more.

If you know some farmers in your area with old English Walnut Trees which are dying, dead or a problem for them, they might let you cut and take the logs for free or very little money. If you find some with some great Burl in the stumps, then you could make a killing selling the Burl to folks that make Burl furniture and stocks for rifles and shotguns. Some tree stumps with really nice Burl in them, can bring thousands to tens of thousands of dollars.

Frank

Last edited:

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would like to see some photos of your work. Sounds very cool.

OP
OP
OldHammerer

OldHammerer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I carried a chain saw with me and had a way to get the cut pieces of wood out of the mountains near me while Ginseng hunting, I could send you some still intact and beautiful pieces of Old Timey Chestnut. These are downed trees of the original Old Timey Chestnut trees that died out during the 1920's and 1930's due to a blight. Surprisingly, some of these old dead trees still have some solid pieces inside them, although from looking at the outside, you would not think that was the case. I found one yesterday while Ginseng hunting and what was left of the old stump. There was some beautiful Burl in the stump but sadly, the stump was too rotted to get some solid pieces for use! I found one tree about two weeks ago deep in a hollow halfway down the side of a large mountain that had a 20 to maybe 30 foot long and close to 3 foot diameter section that appeared to be solid inside. It would be no problem to cut the section out but getting a 1,000 pound or more log up the mountain to the closest grownup old logging road which is a quarter mile away or more, would be one heck of a task. If intact inside and one could salvage boards from a 2 foot x 2 foot x 20 foot long section, I would imagine that the lumber would be worth close to $3,000 or more.

If you know some farmers in your area with old English Walnut Trees which are dying, dead or a problem for them, they might let you cut and take the logs for free or very little money. If you find some with some great Burl in the stumps, then you could make a killing selling the Burl to folks that make Burl furniture and stocks for rifles and shotguns. Some tree stumps with really nice Burl in them, can bring thousands to tens of thousands of dollars.

Frank

Ginseng hunting sounds fantastic. I wish there was a place near me to do that! Thanks for the reply, I love old burr wood and use it quite often in my knives. I actually have a big walnut stump that I take pieces off of now and then, definately a beautiful wood. Most woods can be stabilised and cast even if they have started to rot, i think that's what I most enjoy about what I do. Taking something people might overlook and giving it some more life. If you ever find any termite or worm eaten wood, let me know and thanks for a great read, you've made me more than a bit envious.

Dave

OP
OP
OldHammerer

OldHammerer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see some photos of your work. Sounds very cool.

Happy to oblige!

Here's a prototype handle in old driftwood, with paduak wood ends. Still perfecting the process but it's getting there.

1474480251531.jpg

Here's a finished knife, I used pinecone on this one and myrtle, same idea though. I forge them japanese style with clay coatings for the temper lines.

20160906_162159.jpg

I'm just one guy with a shed so I dont need a huge amount.
Keep an eye out for any wormy interesting woods!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ginseng hunting sounds fantastic. I wish there was a place near me to do that! Thanks for the reply, I love old burr wood and use it quite often in my knives. I actually have a big walnut stump that I take pieces off of now and then, definately a beautiful wood. Most woods can be stabilised and cast even if they have started to rot, i think that's what I most enjoy about what I do. Taking something people might overlook and giving it some more life. If you ever find any termite or worm eaten wood, let me know and thanks for a great read, you've made me more than a bit envious.

Dave

Ginseng and Herb hunting is one of my passions but it is not for everyone! All too often, I fall due to loose rocks or slick, somewhat rotted limbs or small downed trees under the leaves and underfoot. I have ran into quite a few Black Bear, occasionally a few snakes with some areas having Timber Rattlers and/or Copperheads, Coyotes that have stalked me and there is always the threat of a Cougar or medical emergency in the back of my' mind. Although there is no documentation of Ginseng of any type (species) ever being found in the U.K., that doesn't mean that it could not be grown there. With the right soil, decent amount of rainfall (something of which a lot of the U.K. has) and a wooded slope or mountain facing in a Northerly direction, it is quite possible that North American Ginseng would grow there. If you have such a place that you could possibly grow Ginseng and ever wanted to try your hand at it, you should check on the Import Laws concerning importing Ginseng seed and/or plants and with the Agriculture agencies there to insure that it is okay to attempt growing it and make sure that any seeds and/or plants would not be quarantined for indefinite periods which could cause losses.

I have some small saws and may start carrying some with me just in case I come across nice pieces of Old Timey Chestnut that are usable and stabile enough to take. If that happens, I will likely contact you to see if some pieces can be shipped over to you. Also, I occasionally come across some old Wormy Chestnut Barn Wood (Old Timey Chestnut was mostly used for building barns and quite a few homes here prior to 1900 and over time, most of the wood has been eaten on by termites, powderpost beetles and other wood boring pests). It is most likely that any Old Timey Chestnut or other wood, would have to be treated for pests and kept in storage for a time before it could ever be shipped to your location but I won't know until I can check on the Laws and Prohibitions.

Frank

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As soon as the hurricane passes I'll send you some wood....send your address to kjamespi@ aol

OP
OP
OldHammerer

OldHammerer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as the hurricane passes I'll send you some wood....send your address to kjamespi@ aol

You're a legend! PM has been sent. Appreciate anything I can get. Meanwhile keep in cover!

OP
OP
OldHammerer

OldHammerer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ginseng and Herb hunting is one of my passions but it is not for everyone! All too often, I fall due to loose rocks or slick, somewhat rotted limbs or small downed trees under the leaves and underfoot. I have ran into quite a few Black Bear, occasionally a few snakes with some areas having Timber Rattlers and/or Copperheads, Coyotes that have stalked me and there is always the threat of a Cougar or medical emergency in the back of my' mind. Although there is no documentation of Ginseng of any type (species) ever being found in the U.K., that doesn't mean that it could not be grown there. With the right soil, decent amount of rainfall (something of which a lot of the U.K. has) and a wooded slope or mountain facing in a Northerly direction, it is quite possible that North American Ginseng would grow there. If you have such a place that you could possibly grow Ginseng and ever wanted to try your hand at it, you should check on the Import Laws concerning importing Ginseng see and/or plants and with the Agriculture agencies there to insure that it is okay to attempt growing it and make sure that any seeds and/or plants would not be quarantined for indefinite periods which could cause losses.

I have some small saws and may start carrying some with me just in case I come across nice pieces of Old Timey Chestnut that are usable and stabile enough to take. If that happens, I will likely contact you to see if some pieces can be shipped over to you. Also, I occasionally come across some old Wormy Chestnut Barn Wood (Old Timey Chestnut was mostly used for building barns and quite a few homes here prior to 1900 and over time, most of the wood has been eaten on by termites, powderpost beetles and other wood boring pests). It is most likely that any Old Timey Chestnut or other wood, would have to be treated for pests and kept in storage for a time before it could ever be shipped to your location but I won't know until I can check on the Laws and Prohibitions.

Frank

Many thanks Frank, I must confess that trawling this forum has re-awoken something in me. I'm off to Taiwan for a month in November and will be searching the beaches to see what I can find. I've never heard of Ginseng growing here, but I must admit it's a fascinating plant, the UK is a bit strict in what can and can't be grown as you are probably aware. I might give it a go though, I spent the last few months growing gem corn plants to use in knife handles (they are drying out currently, and yes, I think I can 'plastinate' anything), could use a new project!

I appreciate the offer on the chestnut, don't go to any trouble on my account though, but if you ever do spot an easy to get piece of bored out wood, it's always welcome in my forge!

Best regards

Dave

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 big chunks of worm eaten 1715 fleet wood.I could break off some sizable pieces for you to make knife handles.Ill get some pics on sunday if it doesnt rain and i have some help moving them to the sidewalk for pics.

OP
OP
OldHammerer

OldHammerer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 big chunks of worm eaten 1715 fleet wood.I could break off some sizable pieces for you to make knife handles.Ill get some pics on sunday if it doesnt rain and i have some help moving them to the sidewalk for pics.

Appreciate it! Size wise anything 2X2 and over a pen length works and so long as I'm not likely to get landed with some kind of fine when they go through customs!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Hammerer, are you a pirate knife maker or not?? Stuff the customs if they can't take a joke!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Kevin,

I sure hope that the hurricane misses you there in the Bahamas! Although I don't have access to all of the Weather Analysis Charts that I did when I worked for the National Weather Service, I checked out a few today and have a bad feeling about this one. Unless there is a change and strengthening of the Steering Winds, it might just cross Eastern or Central Cuba and slam Florida. I hope I am wrong and hope that a miss on Florida doesn't make the Bahamas a target!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread