Battery Question

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The short answer is no. The detector is designed to function within a specific voltage range which includes all cells of a specific type " like AA etc". Cells vary in voltage from app. 1.2v to app. 1.7v but the detector adjests for them. Different types of sells store different amounts of power so they don't all last the same amount of time. It is possible that a bad cell could cause a problem by varying its power. I would defiantly change all the cells for brand name cells as a first test.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
:thumbsup:
Occasionally new batteries will cause a detector to go nuts.
I have replaced my batteries before and had to get a second pair of new ones.
Sometimes a cell is just bad like FrankN wrote, sometimes certain types of cells won't work in some detectors.
Best bet: Use only what the unit came with.

Regards, SkyPilot

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a box of 48 brand name batteries. My detector would not turn on. Checked each battery, 7 were 1.65 volts, one was 0.1 volts (dead out of a newly opened box). My point is check out everything don,t assme. Also by checking I did not thow out 7 good batteries.

Ed D.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Born2Dtect said:
I bought a box of 48 brand name batteries. My detector would not turn on. Checked each battery, 7 were 1.65 volts, one was 0.1 volts (dead out of a newly opened box). My point is check out everything don,t assme. Also by checking I did not thow out 7 good batteries.

Ed D.

:thumbsup: Same here, Ed! There have been several times that a single cell has for some reason or another, been "dead", or shorted out and.....
the strange thing is, instead of simply showing "low battery", the unit acted ......... well, broken and just plain weird!

Regards, Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread