Ace 250 - Not working during my field test?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I was hoping my first post wouldnt be me asking what the deal is with my ACE 250.

I have been dectecting for about 3 yrs and got the ACE 250 for Xmas last year. I have been very fortunate and have found about 35 dollars in change, and a couple gold charms..No Silver yet :(.

But anyway, i just got granted access to 160 acre old homesite and did some field testing yesterday.

I buried a gold ring about 8 inches deep and a silver quater about 6 inches..and for some reason, i got nothing..not even a single beep. I was worried about using the new lithium batteries. whats odd is i can still find things buried..i did find a WW2 button..but very confused why my field tests dont work..is it time to upgrade?

Please any input would be valuable

thanks

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Double check your sensitivity setting. I normally run in four or five bars, but if looking for stuff I know to be deep, and if the ground is fairly quiet, I will crank it up all the way to make sure I see as much as I can. Of course, if the ground is bad (mineralized) it probably will just make things worse.

Good luck!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I really don't know what the problem is,however,and just in my opinion,I would not use lithium batteries,only alkaline which I believe your detector says to use and actually comes with.I agree with the previous poster on checking your settings and increasing sensitivity and make sure you are going slow and have the coil on the ground.With the standard coil,8-10 inches is getting a little deep for the Ace,especially if you have the coil an inch or two above the ground as that adds depth to the target.The 9x12 coil should add a couple of inches.I would start by changing batteries and see what happens.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
warsawdaddy said:
I really don't know what the problem is,however,and just in my opinion,I would not use lithium batteries,only alkaline which I believe your detector says to use and actually comes with.I agree with the previous poster on checking your settings and increasing sensitivity and make sure you are going slow and have the coil on the ground.With the standard coil,8-10 inches is getting a little deep for the Ace,especially if you have the coil an inch or two above the ground as that adds depth to the target.The 9x12 coil should add a couple of inches.I would start by changing batteries and see what happens.

I'd bet you'll find the batteries are the problem!

Regards, SkyPilot

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I don't know what your ground is like but in my bad ground I never got any coins below 3.5" or maybe 4" with the Ace 250 and that is typical for here, especially on a detector costing under about $500-600 new. You can try both 4 or 5 bars on the ground sensitivity, or higher if you hold the coil slightly above the ground so it doesn't cause falsing. Also, if you can get a good air test, like about 8" on a quarter, the detector is probably OK.

Most mfrs recommend alkalines or even design the detector so only alkalines work properly. You
could ask Garrett about the Lithiums if it isn't mentioned in the manual. It might also make a difference on whether or not the Lithiums are the rechargeable type. HH, George (MN)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the Ace 150 / 250 Owner's Manual:
"For best performance, replace the old batteries with quality alkaline AA batteries. NiMH rechargeable batteries may be used, but will have a shorter life per charge."

I just got a new Ace 250 to add to my "tool box" and it came with alkaline batteries installed. If the manufacturer thinks those ion batteries are better, they would have included them or suggested them for the BEST operation of their machine. There is NO mention of ion or lithium batteries. So, for BEST operation, use fresh alkaline batteries. I can't understand why some folks think they have a better idea than the design engineers. "Voltage" is only 1/3rd of the equation for figuring circuit requirements and planning the circuit impedance.

Try hunting with the Sens. set LOWER than 4. Try 3 or even 2. The quality manufacturers put out machines that are more sensitive than most folks might think. Most hobbyists don't fully understand the Sensitive circuitry anyway. Also, don't put so much emphasis on air test distances. Those are just for ROUGH estimates. The REAL test is to bury an object in the ground and detect it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your input..i had no problems today with my Ace with Alkaline Batt....now the Heat and the Snakes were a different story :-\ ..but really..thanks for the prompt responses..will be posting my findings tomorrow :headbang:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HMMM.

This is an interesting thread due to all of the battery talk.

This is my first year of detecting and I too use a Garrett Ace 250 but all I have ever use is eneloop rechargeable batteries in it for every hunt so far. Apparently I missed the part in the manual about using Alkaline :(

Now the confusion.... I've been out probably 30 times this year at an average of 2-3 hrs per hunt. I've found a 22K gold necklace, silver ring, charms etc. etc. + I always come home with 25-30 coins in my pocket. What am I missing here? Am I ruining my machine by using rechargeables? Am I missing good targets that I would otherwise be finding with Alkaline batteries :icon_scratch:

I'm at a loss here. Someone please explain.

EDIT: I was under the assumption that rechargeables were lithium. I can't find any info on mine. Now I'm just confusing myself...

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that was the odd thing..i got this in January..and I have also fe a couple of small gold charms..and dont have any problems finding coins..But that day i went out there i bought the Energizer Ultimate Lithium (Which i have always used) and buried a couple objects only to get nothing during my field test..Maybe its all in my head..but either way..i will use the Alkaline which are much cheaper..and use the other for back-ups.. But to be honest..my Ace 250..Sometimes will do the craziest stuff...but i love her :).. One thing i do notice..is I rarely get any nickels..But I have some large items buried 6 inches plus..

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh..I love finding my old posts and just shaking my head at what I wrote..lol

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahh..I love finding my old posts and just shaking my head at what I wrote..lol

Yep you resurrected it. Funny I was seeing what some of the other experienced people were saying how they just starting detecting and using an Ace 250. I am glad our profiles on our old threads update with the newest machines we are using.

Somehow I didn't start using a pinpointer until after 3 years of detecting on and off without one. I sometimes shake my head and think about how I would have done. One site was a huge CW site and I didn't use a pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread