Battery Questions

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I've been wondering a few things regarding batteries & detectors. Here's a "run-down" of my questions:

1- How much of a role did battery type/size/cost play in the purchase of your MD, if any?

2- Do you use throw-aways or rechargable.

3- If rechargables, is it a battery "pack" that is specific for your MD, or the more generic, rechargable AA, 9v, or whatever your MD calls for?

4- Again, if you use the generic-type (of rechargables), what brand, and do you feel they hold a charge as well as throw-aways?

I haven't tried any of the rechargable type (like AA, C, D, 9v) for years, but wasn't overly impressed with them back then. I'm sure however their performance has had to improve over the years, atleast I'd think.

Smitty

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
1- How much of a role did battery type/size/cost play in the purchase of your MD, if any? None - but I like the fact that the Xterra 70 only used 4 AAs.

2- Do you use throw-aways or rechargable. Rechargable exclusively.

3- If rechargables, is it a battery "pack" that is specific for your MD, or the more generic, rechargable AA, 9v, or whatever your MD calls for? Battery pack with AAs in it for Explorer, batteries for Xterra, and sealed battery pack for the Excalubur with alkaline pack as back up (not used yet).

4- Again, if you use the generic-type (of rechargables), what brand, and do you feel they hold a charge as well as throw-aways? I use sony NIHM because I have a charger that charges 4 of them in 10-15 minutes. I just bought 8 hybrids to see if the really hold the charge longer. We shall see.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hybrids do hold their charge longer. Been pleased with them.
Bill

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using AA Akaline rechargables.. Seem to last a long time, and when fresh put out 12 volts..

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been thinking about the rechargables for a while but I read sometime back that they didn't recharge to 12 volts or hold the charge as long as regular batteries. Maybe its time to try them.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most don't.. Only the rechargable ALKALINE.. 1.5 volt like the regular non-rechargable AA are... Most AA rechargable are 1.2 volts X 8 to make a 9.6 volt pack which is the same as the rechargable NiHM and NiCad packs..

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the hybrid is a non-rechargable lithium based battery that outlast regular non-rechargable alkaline batteries by close to half..

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
cosmic said:
I believe the hybrid is a non-rechargable lithium based battery that outlast regular non-rechargable alkaline batteries by close to half..
cosmic, not true. Hybrid batteries can be recharged just like NIMH batteries, they just don't start loosing voltage like NIMH the second the charging stops. I still like NIMH batteries and use them but if the Hybrids hold their charge while setting in my garage for a week, I may start using them exclusively. I am also interested in learning more about the rechargeable alkaline batteries for my Excalibur.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of battery are they and brand?? LiMag, LiPo?

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the rayovac hybrid AA is a NiMH battery and looks interesting..1.2 volts and rechargeable over 500 times, also slower voltage drop in use and at rest.. Also can be charged on any AA charger..Reasonably priced too.. I think I'll grab some and compare to the rechargeable alkaline I have now.. Thanks Farmercal..

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I'm using Duracell Rechargeable 2650mah I have like 30 of theses batteries, and I use a 1 hour quick charger. I just recently bought 2 packs of these new 4 per pack. $20.00 for my ace.

I also rotate my Batteries during charge, once the green charging light on my chargers stops flashing, and stays green. I rotate the batteries clockwise in my charger, 4 times, to make sure they are balanced, ie same amount of juice in each battery, and some times I check them with a volt meter.

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
cosmic said:
I found the rayovac hybrid AA is a NiMH battery and looks interesting..1.2 volts and rechargeable over 500 times, also slower voltage drop in use and at rest.. Also can be charged on any AA charger..Reasonably priced too.. I think I'll grab some and compare to the rechargeable alkaline I have now.. Thanks Farmercal..

Cosmic- If you have a link, please post it. If you bought them local, where at (what store)?

Marty- Have you noted roughly how many hours of hunting time you get from them?

Smitty

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Nope I just put in four fresh ones, and off I go. When I notice one bar on the battery meter is missing. I change. Then when I get home they go back into the charger to get balanced and charged.

I do know I can hunt all day with two sets. And I'm pretty sure it will run four hours on one set none stop, with plenty of juice to go.

So it basically stays fully charged all the time. I have only had mine to get down to two bars one time, on one set of re chargable Duracell's, they are only 1.2 volts, but 2250mah each. My Duracell's Supposed to recycle up to 1000 times. Also I have been using these same battery's for over a year in various electronics, and would notuse any other battery's.

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Thanks Marty. Now, for anyone who knows more about all this rechargable battery business than me (lol, which would be about anyone ;)), "in general", will rechargables not hold a charge for nearly the same length of time as throw-away alkalines? The Ace 250 claims 30-40 hours on a set, I don't get that, but I replace them at 2 bars, so I probably get 20"ish".

Smitty

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
WV Hillbilly said:
If you google rechargable batteries you'll find sites that explain the different batteries in detail . HH

I understand that, but was wanting to hear about their specific application(s) with detectors & the advice of those who've compared the 2. ;)

Smitty

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
If you buy a Duracell charger, or other brand, with four rechargeable battery's. Price about $20.00 Then if you need more battery's get 4 for $10.00 recharge between 500-1000 times. You cant go wrong.

And yes I do believe the Duracell 2250mah nimh's last longer than the trow away ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread