Battery Questions

zoaartcc

Nov 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Titan 3000XD
I am new to TN and happened to come across this thread on batteries. I would like to make a comment as to the use of re-chargables. I have used many different brands to date and in my searching to find the best of the best for use in my DSLR Camera I found the "Eneloop" battery to be the best for lasting as well as for holding a charge. Also the Charger that you can purchase with them does a fantastic job of charging and then goes into a trickle charge mode to top them off. It takes about 2hrs for a set of 4 batteries to charge from a full down state. Less time if partly down. The ones I use are 2000ma and give me a very long use per charge. In a camera I get over 1000 pics at approx 25% using a flash. I am still working on the duration I get on my Detector.

These batteries can be found on the internet at several places. Amazon has a good price on them.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hunting!
DanS

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I bought two 4-packs of those Rayovac hybrids at Target, put them into my Explorer and off to the beach I went to test out the X-12 coil. They are supposed to come fully charged but when I put them in the show a little less than full charge on the LCD. I have used them for a total of 5 hours and they still have juice left in them. When will they die? I don't know.

They are suppose to charge on any charger, so when they finally run down, I will charge them on my Sony charger which charges 4 AAs in 15 minutes or less. In 30 minutes I have 8 charged batteries. They really do hold the charge. So far, I am very pleased with these batteries. It is too soon to know how they will last in the long run but they look promising. More to come.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being that the Ray o Vac hybrids are still 1.2 volts just like regular NIMH and Nicads, you can expect them to show a lower voltage right off the bat. However, they lose much less of their charge in non-use and that is why they can put them on the shelf ready to use. I've been using them exclusively in my digital camera with excellent result so far. As to how long they will last in a detector, I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking they will hold up for several or more fairly sincere hunts and as long as you carry spares, you should never have a problem. I think most of us carry spares no matter what type of battery we use, anyway.
Dig often, dig deep,
Bill

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are what I'm using.. They seem to be great and long lasting..

Attachments

• 1301_1.JPG
    1301_1.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 200

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Here's mine, one of the best investment's I've ever made. I have about 40 of these batteries. The eight in the photo are for my Ace 250, and four extra I carry as backup. But I never need more than one set of these babies. I also use these in my Kodak camera, wireless keyboard, mouse remotes controls, flashlights ect.

Attachments

• 100_0015.JPG
    100_0015.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 189

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Cosmo,
Do you need a special charger for those batteries or can you use any rechargeable battery charger?

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you mean me.. Yes it does take a special charger which is cheap as the rest of the AA chargers.. Not to be charged with a regular AA charger as it will damage them.. (probably charged at lower amps) They are 1.5 volts not 1.2 like most all AA rechargables.. They wil recharge as many as 1000 times. no toxins, and no memory so you can recharge at any time (I charge them one every couple weeks,10-12 hours per) and seem excellent at mataining voltage during storage..
Ray

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Yeah Ray, I meant you (sorry for the misspelling). Thanks for the information. I will look into these as I need something like that for my alkaline pack on the Excalibur.

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Hmm I'm thinking of trying them myself, since they are 1.5 v instead of my 1.2v :-[ My ace 250 is underpowered :'( I need more volts, can you getem with alot of amps like my 2250's. Wow that wood be the S__t :D

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
OK, so would you be better off with alittle more voltage & less mah, or less voltage & more mah.....or, does it matter that much for what we're talking here (MD's).

Thanks again for all the info
Smitty

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere the more voltage (up to machine specs) a slight increase in depth is realized.. I can't really tell.. Most rechargable for detectors are 9.6 volt but can use up to 12volts.. Check the specs on your detector...
Think of the mah's as the size of the gas tank.. 15 gal versus 25 gallon.. Higher mah means longer detecting.. So I guess it depends on what your after.. I also have the duracell 2650mah's and they work well too...
Ray

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
1. Battery type and quantity DID play a part in my last detector purchase.
I am suspicious of a single 9v battery to power a machine... but may get over it!
The 4 AA's in my newest purchase helped clinch the deal.

2. I only use alkalines.

3. Plenty of rechargeable professional tools, nicad & niMh, but don't use rechargeables in md

4. I only buy name brand batteries when on sale in 30-48 packs.
Seem to like duracell best??? Dollar store batteries are not worth it! may fizzle in a couple hours.

R M P T R

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across this... Might help in a pinch..
Use AA's?
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

AAA's?

watch battery dead?

dead car battery?

Laptop battery bad?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread