Battle of Mine Run finds and ID help please . . .

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past Saturday, I attended the invitational hunt sponsored by the Rapidan River Relic Hunters Association. The weather was perfect and I had a great time. I dug a few bullets, a CW era button back and some other odds and ends. Loved it! I also enjoyed a great Saturday evening supper in Orange with fellow relic hunters Doug Hill and Rob Langdon - best hot dog I ever ate! I'll post a video soon about some of the finds, etc. But I wanted to see if I could get some help on these two items I dug Saturday. The bullet appears to be a Gardner, but I've never seen one with that type of nose on it. It doesn't appear to be quite as "pointed" on the nose as all the other Gardners I've dug. Any ideas? Also, the other non-ferrous piece looks familiar . . . what I first thought were letters actually appear to be little cogs. Whachya'll think?

Attachments

• mine_run.jpg
    mine_run.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 139
  • mine_run (1).jpg
    mine_run (1).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 130
  • mine_run (2).jpg
    mine_run (2).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 117
  • mine_run (3).jpg
    mine_run (3).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 5
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks fellas.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure you had fun with Rob Richard. As you know the Trio was invited but didn't make it. Looks like a good hunt. Maybe Cannonball Guy can help us with the bullet but it looks like one of the many mold variants for that bullet. It has no ramrod impression and no rifling marks to indicate being fired or even unloaded. The washer is some kind of lock washer to withstand vibraion on something. That's my best guess. HH, Q.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Responding to an emailed request for ID assistance. I can tell from the shape of the bullet's base (in the base-view photo) that Metalev4 had it right ...so I'm publicly giving him credit for being the first to say so. It is definitely a fired one. Note that the base-view photo shows the base is no longer circular, but has spread outward in three evenly-spaced directions -- 4, 8, and 12-o'clock. Also, the lip of the so-called insert is spread outward. Compare both of those characteristics side-by-saide with an unfired Grdner and you'll see what I mean.

The lack of rifling-marks is due to being fired from a dirty (powder-ash grimed) bore. Also, the fired minie's nose looks like it smacked into soft soil, just hard enough to distort its orginal shape without obviously "mushrooming" it.

I'm sure about all this because in the past four decades I have meticulously studied thousands upon thousands of fired civil war bullets. I have a collection of the ones I call "interesting" fired bullets. I've studied them to riddle out how they came to be in the "intersting" shape they are now in. Regarding my answer about Old Stonewall's fired Gardner... as you'd guess, I've also put a lot of study into the various effects that Rifling can have on a projectile's body.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Responding to an emailed request for ID assistance. I can tell from the shape of the bullet's base (in the base-view photo) that Metalev4 had it right ...so I'm publicly giving him credit for being the first to say so. It is definitely a fired one. Note that the base-view photo shows the base is no longer circular, but has spread outward in three evenly-spaced directions -- 4, 8, and 12-o'clock. Also, the lip of the so-called insert is spread outward. Compare both of those characteristics side-by-saide with an unfired Grdner and you'll see what I mean.

The lack of rifling-marks is due to being fired from a dirty (powder-ash grimed) bore. Also, the fired minie's nose looks like it smacked into soft soil, just hard enough to distort its orginal shape without obviously "mushrooming" it.

I'm sure about all this because in the past four decades I have meticulously studied thousands upon thousands of fired civil war bullets. I have a collection of the ones I call "interesting" fired bullets. I've studied them to riddle out how they came to be in the "intersting" shape they are now in. Regarding my answer about Old Stonewall's fired Gardner... as you'd guess, I've also put a lot of study into the various effects that Rifling can have on a projectile's body.
I defer to your expertise. The tip sure fooled me. Good job MT4!! HH, Q.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure you had fun with Rob Richard. As you know the Trio was invited but didn't make it. Looks like a good hunt. Maybe Cannonball Guy can help us with the bullet but it looks like one of the many mold variants for that bullet. It has no ramrod impression and no rifling marks to indicate being fired or even unloaded. The washer is some kind of lock washer to withstand vibraion on something. That's my best guess. HH, Q.

Hey Quindy - thanks. Actually, it does have a ramrod impression. You can't tell from the photo - I should have mentioned that.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks Cannonball! "just hard enough to distort its orginal shape" Ok, that explains it for me. I appreciate your time and effort so much.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all who chimed in.

VaMark

Jun 3, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, XP Deus, AT Pro, Silver U-Maxx, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you did pretty good Richard! I was there both days, wish we would have ran into each other, but that was a big farm.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Mark - sorry we didn't bump into each other. I hope to still get with you some time here in the Valley. I'll be in touch.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find buddy.nice

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs! Love the color of old lead...the bullet is awesome!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweeeet finds!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread