Battle of the Nile

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
All,
Haven't posted in a while as I have been busy with the new dive center here in Egypt (which is still operating in the black since day 1), plus a day job. And am just as excited about Odyssey's find as all of you are.

However, I am looking for something else this time. Am looking for old nautical charts of the Battle of the Nile. I dove on the wreck of Napolean's flagship, L'Orient, a couple of years ago and am trying to relocate it since I was taken out there by a rather dubious diving organization that didn't have permits to dive the area. As a result, I don't have the GPS coordinates for the wrecksite (and Franck Goddio isn't going to give them up is he?). The site has been excavated already and since my dive center now has permits to dive the area I want to start taking paying customers there to dive. I have the area where the wrecksite lies narrowed down to within about 1 square mile and can spend a few days looking for it (Easter-egging), but would like to take a more archaeological approach to trying to locate the wrecksite (i.e., through research...just for the experience of doing it). If anyone here can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

In other news, for those of you who remember the LCM MK-1 Landing Craft that I was trying to get access too in order to complete the MAHS course (that was suggested in the "Virgina Gold" chain) via remote proctorship, well... going there next Friday. Only took about 3-years waiting on permits to get back there. All it took was opening up a dive center and going through the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism vice the Ministry of Antiquities.

Could use some old charts from Cornelius on this one methinks ;)
Mike

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Narked1 said:
I have been busy with the new dive center here in Egypt (which is still operating in the black since day 1)...

Can't help you with the charts Mike, but you have my overwhelming congrats on the dive shop's success, bro. I love to see people succeed in their dreams!

Godspeed!
Darren

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Hi Mike

These are not much help but interesting.

[Alexandria] This chart is an exact copy of one taken from Lt Vidal who was captured in La Courageux French Frigate by the Centaur. Lieut Vidal was employ'd together with Captain Barre of the Alceste Frigate by the late Admiral Bruyes to survey the old Port of Alexandria

When the French fleet reached Egypt in 1798, local pilots told Admiral Bruyes that large ships drawing more than 20 feet could not enter the Old Port at Alexandria. He ordered a survey to locate the channels. This survey came into British hands in June 1799 when La Courageux was captured by Duckworth's squadron. A copy was sent to the Hydrographic Office who published it in 1801 - see G235:14/7.

Attachments

• L Orient position gif.gif
    L Orient position gif.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,542

Cablava

May 24, 2005
THE GLORY OF FRANCE.
France, in her better moments, had been a nation of refinement, excellence and dignity. The French royal court set the standard in manners and in the graces. The French have led the way in world diplomacy. They even showed the English, (and the rest of us in western Christendom), the practice of dining with a knife and fork. At times, they have displayed heroic acts of grandeur.
One of the most glorious and inspiring moments in western history was seen during the Napoleonic Wars. At that time France was at the peak of her power. A naval action, which came to be called the Battle of the Nile, was witness to an extraordinary incident.
It was the summer of 1798 and the English Naval squadron under Lord Nelson had been searching the Med. for the French fleet. They finally found them just off the coast of Egypt. The English lookouts spotted French ships of the line at anchor near the port of Alexandria.
The French had been caught off guard. It was during the evening hours of that historic day when the English ships sailed in. A fierce naval battle of 2,000 guns was soon raging in the gathering darkness. The French soon found themselves in some real trouble. Nelson's ships, of shallower draft, were delivering broadsides on the French vessels from the landward side as well as the seaward side. The French were not prepared for this. So as well as being unable to maneuver or to sail clear they soon found themselves being raked by cannon fire from both sides.
Aboard the flagship L'Orient the French admiral's young son was on the gun deck. His orders had been to stay at his post. But now the ship was heavily damaged and on fire. The rest of the crew, those who were not lying dead or wounded, had abandoned ship. As they came in closer the English sailors were amazed at what they saw. There on the burning deck that faithful young French boy was standing alone and facing them. The flames were all around him. But there he stood. It was only a short time later that the fires reached the powder magazine deep in the bowels of the vessel. The boy perished when the whole ship erupted in a massive explosion.
The sound of L’Orient blowing up was heard at Rosetta 20 miles away. And the glow of the fireball was seen in Alexandria. It was an enormous explosion of a magnitude rarely seen back in those times. The English gunners stood in awe at what they had just witnessed. For some twenty minutes the guns were silent. The watching sailors were absolutely horrified at the carnage that had taken place. The British sent a ship to rescue what French sailors they could from the water. About 70 were saved.
The devotion of that boy who stood on that burning deck was remembered long afterwards. His story was told and retold throughout Christendom. It is still remembered today. English poet Mrs. Dorothea Hemans heard about it and wrote the poem 'Cassabianca'

diverj

May 1, 2005
Huntley, IL
Mike, good to hear about your dive shop. It must be a blast diving on the L'Oriant, and other shipwrecks of such historical battles. Keep up the good work, good to hear from you.
Good Luck, Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread