Baum site prehistoric flintknapping tools

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Implements Used in Flaking Knives - The specimens shown in Fig- 53 were no doubt used in flaking the large flint knives so common in the village. The flaking tools were always made of deer and elk horn, and varied in length from one and one-half inches to four inches, and in diameter from one-half inch to three-fourths inch. One end is square, while the other end is oval, the longest point being in the middle of the specimen. The square end on almost all the specimens shows a splintered and battered condition, indicating that the implement had been struck with a heavy blow. The oval end also frequently shows a splintered condition, caused by improperly placing the tool against the flint, and striking the blow. The flaking tools are found everywhere in the village, especially in the sites of the tepees and in the graves.

Baum site flakers.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice examples Benjamin.

Didnt know if had seen these yet. I traded for these a few weeks ago.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...antler-drifts-flakers-deer-antler-points.html

Wow, wow, wow! You are the man! I am so jealous! Ha ha ha!

Just think, while all the projectile point types changed those little tools had a continuous history going back to the advent of the archaic era, and maybe there are even records from the late paleoindian period, as well! I am in communication with a number of archaeologists, and still working on my paper. And, I want to feature your artifacts at the top of the paper, and give you credit for preserving the artifacts for posterity.

Since you are in Ohio, you might appreciate this quote:

“The relatively large number of the short antler punches found in comparison with the long pressure flakers (the ratio being roughly about ONE HUNDRED TO ONE) would seem to indicate that the smaller punches may have been used in the final flaking of at least a considerable portion of the coarser chipped implements.” (Indian Village Site and Cemetery Near Madisonville, Ohio, Hooten, Willoughby, 1920)

I have been collaborating with a lithics researcher in Kentucky for around a year. If it is possible it would be great to see your artifacts get tested for silicate fragments embedded in the ends. If such a study proves conclusive, I know of a whole crowd of people who would probably have a mass heart attack. Lol!

Ben

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Grim, how was this piece utilized? I've found two of these couple years ago, wasn't sure exactly what purpose they served. Are they intentionally hollowed out and if yes, why?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    690.3 KB · Views: 62

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Grim, how was this piece utilized? I've found two of these couple years ago, wasn't sure exactly what purpose they served. Are they intentionally hollowed out and if yes, why?

Nevermind Grim, I just reread your thread title...lol "Deer Antler Points". That's what I though they were. For a minute, I thought they may have played a role like a drift or flaker...my bad.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Benjamin, I would be happy to have these looked at. Let me know and maybe we can work out a time to come by my house or to meet you somewhere.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you first posted a video on your theory I have felt these were possibly a stone version. Not knowing anything about knapping I wonder if you thought they would function as flaking tools.

A4BF8238-976D-4441-9763-F6AD3D8EE433.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread