Bazooka-ish Creation

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just made this. Designed it and created the bend profiles. I want to run some flow analysis simulation on it, but for now, this is what I have. Yes there is tweaking and finishing to be done, but I think it is a good start.

Any thoughts? This is acrylic, but can be done in metal or ABS too.
4ee41387ac7a74d4c6148eb3f560923d.jpg
05e8f8d0b641793a5208307573979b4f.jpg
cfd09110ccc0a036263061b1bb4a7fdd.jpg
ea7add5166d35c081e7b5c1a30eae5b9.jpg

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I very far off for never using a bazooka or held or seen one in person? These are mini's. I made a super mini, but my strip heater isn't long enough, so it won't t be finished until I can solve that problem. These are out of acrylic, I'm thinking about getting ABS to make one and heat weld it instead of solvent welding.

I changes the design from the blue one to the grey one. It uses less material, and I believe it is closer to the one everyone loves.

I am bending the deck to where the spray tubes are. This is for two reasons. First, ease of fabrication, one less loose part. Second, it will give the material a smooth ride into the trap.

One thing I don't know is the height of the entrance into the trap, versus the exit. It looks like it may be the same height, but I would think material could flow right out. Any input?

I'm still not sure of the configuration of the fluid tubes either. I want to make it so I can experiment with different hole sizes and layout, since I really don't know what they are supposed to look like.

IMG_20170425_212103155.jpg IMG_20170421_141317838.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170425_212113737.jpg
    IMG_20170425_212113737.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 113

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful work :icon_thumright:

The trap is a little short from front to back, less time for gold to settle in.
The opening and exit should be no more than 3/4"

Your tubes appear to be a larger size than what Bazooka used. Theirs were 1/2"

On my diy models I favor a slightly taller exit port due to the sluice going into the creek on a somewhat downhill angle although I do try to run it as level as possible.
I do not see a grizzly on yours. You will need one to keep the jambs down to a minimum.

Hole size and number as well as orientation is where it gets a little complicated. You want an even fluidization of the trap when it is full of dense material.
Holes too large and/or too many will reduce that ability. Dont go over 1/8" diameter or any closer than 1" apart. The total number of holes capable will depend upon flow.
Orientation of the holes in each tube is an important factor as well. Most tubes use two rows aimed downward at about a 45 degree angle.

The jury is still out on the perfect orientation. Here is what I favor from trial and error. Others omit the bottom holes to increase pressure.
I have also seen larger holes at the beginning of the tubes and smaller holes at the end in an attempt to even out the flow from end to end.

hole pattern.jpg fluidtubeholes.jpg

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

mpgken

Oct 3, 2016
Montana in winter and Yukon in summer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acrylic is not a good plastic to use. It will crack and break too easily. In the sun it will develop stress fractures and break at those points. Acrylic has a lot of water in it so as it dries out it cracks. It doesn't hold up to being banged around very well. Scratches easily and is brittle to start with and as time goes on becomes more so. Don't drop rocks on it, it will crack and break.

Acrylic is fun to fabricate with but isn't practical for anything related to mining.

There are other much better plastics to use that will hold up to what you are wanting to do.

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, that is why I will switch to ABS, but I have a lot of Acrylic laying around and I can use it in the laser I have without the awful smell ABS gives off. If I get the design down, I will cut the ABS on a CNC router to avoid that issue. Right now I am playing with the design, working out bugs etc.

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodguy, thank you for the information. Below are the photos of what my dimensions are. I am using 1/2" PVC. The total length is 16". The flared end is 7.25" and the tank end is 4.25". The tank depth is about 1.5" x 2.75" long. I will be adding grizzly once I get the plastic construction sorted out.

It looks like I need to narrow up the opening and exit to the tank, not a problem. I am trying to get a good design down and simplify construction a little bit. I still don't know where I will be adding the beverage holder though. lol

End dimensions.jpg
Side Dimensions.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thumbs up on the beverage holder!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were made of aluminum it would transfer the cold even better.:icon_thumright:
Think I'll make one for my sluice.
It'll be a conversation starter at outings. :tongue3:

GG~

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I was going to write that the beverage holder goes on the side, in the water, to keep the beverage cold. Also, keep it away from the end where you toss the dirt, to keep beverage top clean. You already did that, so it doesn't look like you need much help. However, as Goodyguy mentioned, I think a longer trap is good (also moves beverage holder further from the dirt. :)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread