Screen size ???

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everybody i have a newbie question for my sluice box. What size classifier screen should i use for my con's, i don't know if i said that right :icon_scratch:lol any way i have 2 baskets one is a 3/8"holes and one is 3/16" holes the sluice box is 57" long 10" wide and 4" deep with heavy expanded metal and carpet, will it catch fine gold going with the 3/16" holes ? or use the 3/8" or just shovel material in it if not to rocky ? i will be going this Monday for my first time, thank you for any info.

Attachments

• DSCN4842.JPG
    DSCN4842.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that sluice you can feed it up to 1" material with no problem, as long as you have a fast enough flow.
Classify to 1/2" if the flow is not fast enough to clear 1" gravels. or classify to 3/8" if 1/2" gravels wont clear. All depends upon the flow and sluice angle.

Riffles and heavy expanded together are not a good mix. See the daylight underneath the riffles? Defeats the low pressure zone you are trying to create behind each riffle.
You are only creating un-necessary turbulence, as well as making it harder for the larger gravels to travel down the sluice if the flow is too slow.

Not saying you wont recover gold just that you may lose some.

Keep in mind not to over feed the sluice, let each shovelful run it's course before feeding the next.
Not as critical on that length sluice but just be aware of not over feeding.

If a sluice gets too overloaded then the mats cant do their work, the gold just rides on top of the material and off the end.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Goody!!! i watched a lot of vid's on sluiceing and they had expanded metal with riffles, but not the heavy stuff with riffles, i was thinking i had to go big or go home lol. I might delete the 1/2" riffles and i will make sure the sluice clears and not load up, i got one more question how do you tell or know when to clean the sluice & mats ? and should i run the "con's" is that whats left after i sluice ? through my 3/16 mesh or finer screen ? thank you again, hope i am not asking to much lol.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Goody!!! i watched a lot of vid's on sluiceing and they had expanded metal with riffles, but not the heavy stuff with riffles, i was thinking i had to go big or go home lol. I might delete the 1/2" riffles and i will make sure the sluice clears and not load up, i got one more question how do you tell or know when to clean the sluice & mats ? and should i run the "con's" is that whats left after i sluice ? through my 3/16 mesh or finer screen ? thank you again, hope i am not asking to much lol.

Clean up the sluice at the end of the day. Rinse the mats in a tub or bucket and pan the concentrates no need to classify unless you want to. (the concentrates or cons is what remains in the sluice after you are finished sluicing)

If you decide to run your cons through the 3/16" screen just be on the lookout for nuggets, then pan whats left.

GG~

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clean up the sluice at the end of the day. Rinse the mats in a tub or bucket and pan the concentrates no need to classify unless you want to. (the concentrates or cons is what remains in the sluice after you are finished sluicing)

If you decide to run your cons through the 3/16" screen just be on the lookout for nuggets, then pan whats left.

GG~

To extend what GG said, also get a 20 mesh and a 50 mesh classifier. Then separate your cons using those classifiers and pan each size range separately. It'll be quicker and easier. If you really want to get it right, follow my article on panning your cons:
http://findinggoldincolorado.com/finish-processing-your-concentrates-after-a-day-of-digging/

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for that info Kevin!!! I like the magnet setup idea i have a heavy duty one that's 2"x 2" x 1" thick. Good luck in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions