Be careful clearing those coin machine magnets!

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was at my dump bank today and decided to check the magnet while waiting for the teller to change the coin bag. I look down and see coins bunched up over each other on the magnet (mostly canadian). I reach in and try to sweep as many of them off as I can in one shot...big mistake! I didn't see something real sharp and it cut the tip of my middle finger. It wasn't a long cut but it was pretty deep as I couldn't get it to stop bleeding without getting a paper towel from the bathroom.

I have found fish hooks and other sharp object on the magnets in the past and should have known better. I'm sure everyone else knows of the dangers but I figured I would pass along my story as a warning so no one else gets cut. Take your time clearing the magnets (if you choose to do so) so that you don't hurt yourself doing so like I did.

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you are up to date on tetnis shot! How do you clean the magnet?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Sorry about your wound. This can be a dangerous gig sometimes lol!

What kind of machines are these? The Coinstars in my area do not permit "magnet access".

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
dang! thats horrible, im so sorry to hear that! so, did u score big off the magnet in the end? keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
palidin20603:

This is very very good advice. You don't know where whatever cut you has been.

I ask to clean the magnet at TD banks while they are changing the bags. All the Penny Arcades around here have a metal shoot that most people drop their coins in. When they change the bags they remove this shoot / cover from the top so they can pull / slide the counter out. On one side of this metal shoot there is a handle. Pull the handle out and flip over the wedge looking thing. That is where the magnet is. I always ask and I make sure not to do this over the counter because there is also a ton of dust dirt pebbles and other gunk that falls out too. It is not good to have this stuff fall into the counter.

OP
OP
D

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yagershots said:
palidin20603:

This is very very good advice. You don't know where whatever cut you has been.

Yes, I am up to date but thanks for the reminder. Good advice!

Yagershots said:
I ask to clean the magnet at TD banks while they are changing the bags.

That's where I was at TD Bank.

I guess I did forget the most important thing...the finds! (lol). 2 Canadian quarters, 2 Canadian dimes, a Canadian nickle, 3 Canadian pennies, 1 Rupee from India, 1 Mexican $1 coin and 1 Mexican N$2 coin. Not worth getting cut over but one of my best finds from the magnet.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have though about this a few times when I was sweeping the magnets at one of my dump banks. What if some not so careful person put their hypodermic needle in with some coins and this was stuck to the magnet? Wouldnt be a fun day.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Detectorinator said:
So I was at my dump bank today and decided to check the magnet while waiting for the teller to change the coin bag. I look down and see coins bunched up over each other on the magnet (mostly canadian). I reach in and try to sweep as many of them off as I can in one shot...big mistake! I didn't see something real sharp and it cut the tip of my middle finger. It wasn't a long cut but it was pretty deep as I couldn't get it to stop bleeding without getting a paper towel from the bathroom.

I have found fish hooks and other sharp object on the magnets in the past and should have known better. I'm sure everyone else knows of the dangers but I figured I would pass along my story as a warning so no one else gets cut. Take your time clearing the magnets (if you choose to do so) so that you don't hurt yourself doing so like I did.

That is a fear of mine. Been plenty of nails and pins but luckily so far no razors or hooks.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's the risk that is taken for a few foreign coins. Unfourtinately, I am one who also cleans out the magnets without looking, though I slide my hand down the magnet really slow and careful while waiting for the tellers to change the bag. The only odd things I have found on the magnet are bobby pins(thank goodness they were closed) and a nail clipper(had to be 5 inches long) ..gross.

I agree, it is not worth it considering the risk of something like a hypodermic needle. Don't want to get harmed in any way, but something keeps telling me to check those magnets :)

This is an important topic to keep bringing up, thought I'd bump this thread to keep people aware of the dangers of cleaning off the magnet at the local coin machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread