Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not be the place to post this but I have given it a lot of thought since it happened to me last Sunday afternoon. I was searching in the countryside when I picked up a signal in all metal mode. I dug about four inches and reached a piece of concrete the size of a dollor bill. I pryed one end up with my digger. When it gave way and turned side ways a sucking sound occured. The dirt around the hole moved towards the hole and disappered like vacume sweeper would cause. Then the concrete came lose and fell in the hole. My eyes by that time were about the size of old silver dollars! My God I think I am over a well and then I heard the sound of water splashing from the concrete. I then freeze wondering if this going to fall in if I move or should I get the blankety blank out of hear!! I got enough nerve to get up and walk away. A lot went through my mind as to what coul;d have happened that afternoon.
I called the owner and he was not aware of the well. Someone made a cap for it useing rebar and only an inch and a half thick. They then slid it over the well. Be carefull out there my friends!! Some wells may not be covered properly. They plan to make a better cap for it. Make sure some one knows your where abouts. I am not going back for awhile I am still spooked. I did find this near the well.

Attachments

• Pacific.jpg
    Pacific.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 790
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice Tag. You are exactly right. Those older spots have wells. The last place I hunted had one that made you say wow when you looked down it. The bad thing also is that they are at ground level. This one had a lid but it was partially off of it. I have been in alot of other similar situations. You have to be really careful because if you fall down one I doubt you'll live.

It's funny you bring this up. My son hunts with me alot and I told him to stay away from this one well recently. Where did I find him while I was bent down after I told him don't go near it. Yup standing on the lid I almost s*** myself. Be very careful and if you bring any younger or inexperienced people warn them.

HH Jer

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you did not fall in! I have sunk in mud like quick sand around Mobile bay but never a well. I also hit my head with my shovel handle prying on a root one time.LOL Take care and happy hunting.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wow...You are really lucky that you werent hurt! I dont have a "find the Stan" depth reader on my detector , so you really need to watch where you step! Dont get spooked....just be more careful!! :-*

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Stan, glad you didn't go subterranean! An older neighbor had told my dad more than once that there was an old well behind our barn but dad had never seen any signs of one so he thought the old guy was just confused. Several years ago he had some dozer work done back there and sure enough, the dozer uncovered a stone-lined well. I'm not sure what it was covered with but sod was over that. There's no telling how many times I walked over it, cows walked over it, tractors drove over it - geez!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL FIND, But MAN, What a MAJOR STROKE !

Glad to read it here tho, and Not in a NEWS REPORT.

JEFF

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
That could of been a close call for you. ?You have to be careful out there for everything and anything. We do a lot of woods searching. We have to be careful now of hunters and any type of wild animals. Glad to see your allright.

Ken

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
When Your Up To Your BUTT in Aligators, Is the Wrong Time to Remember, That Your Main Objective was to Drain the Swamp. Be Careful out there. trk5capt... :o :o

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope they leave your post here--this needs to be read by all.

Those wells are no joke and there are many in old wooded areas.

Sometimes they're only partly filled. Really nasty business. This is why when hunting those "cellar" holes one needs a partner.

Thanks for the post.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Well done, Stan... in not being done in by the well!

Nice "Pacific House" tag, too. It's either a room key tag or baggage tag from the Pacific House Hotel. Only problem is, a number of towns had hotels with that name, notably Monterey, CA (probably too early for the tag); Kansas City, MO (less than 250 miles from your area, so a definite possibility); and St. Louis, MO (the one there's supposed to be haunted!).

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Be careful is right! I found this on my last hunt while doing a quick scan of an old schoolyard. Scared the beejeezus out of me, especially since we have a rather large amount of dopers in our area....
At least the guy who disposed of this had the sense to put the cap on.

Attachments

• needle.jpg
    needle.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 693

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the warning, Stan. I'm in the woods all the time by myself at cellarholes. Holy crap! :o

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
old wells are a very dangerous hazard when hunting old cellar holes. ?If your at an old hole ?remember there always will be a well near by. ?If it is not readily apparent ?use extra care in your hunt.

Tim

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you're here to post it ID....Great reminder not only for the "capped" one's but the open one's as well.Be safe and HH!!

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you avoided a mishap. Thanks for giving all of us a reminder about safety.

Huntin' 59er

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you're here to post this ID,Great reminder for the so called "capped" ones but for the open one's as well.Be safe and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread