Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not be the place to post this but I have given it a lot of thought since it happened to me last Sunday afternoon. I was searching in the countryside when I picked up a signal in all metal mode. I dug about four inches and reached a piece of concrete the size of a dollor bill. I pryed one end up with my digger. When it gave way and turned side ways a sucking sound occured. The dirt around the hole moved towards the hole and disappered like vacume sweeper would cause. Then the concrete came lose and fell in the hole. My eyes by that time were about the size of old silver dollars! My God I think I am over a well and then I heard the sound of water splashing from the concrete. I then freeze wondering if this going to fall in if I move or should I get the blankety blank out of hear!! I got enough nerve to get up and walk away. A lot went through my mind as to what coul;d have happened that afternoon.
I called the owner and he was not aware of the well. Someone made a cap for it useing rebar and only an inch and a half thick. They then slid it over the well. Be carefull out there my friends!! Some wells may not be covered properly. They plan to make a better cap for it. Make sure some one knows your where abouts. I am not going back for awhile I am still spooked. I did find this near the well.

Attachments

• Pacific.jpg
    Pacific.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Just for future reference, does anyone know how deep those old hand dug wells are???I know that in Wisconsin our water tables are high and people usually didnt have to dig very deep before hitting water....but just in case....I would like to know how far I would have to climb back up....providing there was still water in it when I landed .........
Here a hint Stan...from now on when you go in the woods ...tie yourself with a rope to a tree....giving yourself about 75 feet .....after you have hunted and need to move....tie yourself to another tree....safety first !!!LOL :-*

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just think you should save my butt and let it go at that. Oh sounds kinda K..... never mind that is a different forum.
Let's just say I can have more freedom to move around and swing that detector!! Besides some places in Kansas trees are a long ways away. Stan

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
Nice tag. Thanks for the info. It would definitely suck big time to fall victim to a well. The old sites I plan to hunt will have to wait till my dad feels better or I find someone to take with me....

memphis

Dec 17, 2005
Memphis
my brother always says "any day where you don't get shot is a good day..." ? - no, he's not a cop or military -- he owns some laundries in the ghettos

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Stan, be extra careful when you're out by yourself. It's always a good idea to let people know where you're hunting (no I'm not trying to be funny). Take your cell phone with you and as I learned, put it in your front pants pocket. Also make sure it has a good charge, as we all make sure we have extra batteries for the detector but sometimes forget about our lifeline. Another possibility is to leave a note under your windshield wiper with your name and number and the approximate area your at. Fun in the woods is great but safety is #1.

R

rvbvetter

That would be a scare. Tie a 10 ft 2 x 4 to your rear next time you hunt alone. Watch out going between trees though.
If thats an old baling water well, you might consider doing some well fishing. See what's down there. HH

A

AK in KY

Very good advice. If you fall in your not getting out alone and no one could hear you yelling.

AK in KY

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always let someone know the general area I will be in and always carry my cell phone.? I have been seriously injured out in the backwoods and it's a harrowing experience.? As I lay there on the ground unable to get up I kept thinking about that mountain lion that had been spotted in the area! Luckily I had someone with me and help arrived within an hour or so. Monty

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your good to go Burdie!

Stoney brought up taking along the cell phone....... I got a funny from last week.

I went out to the farm I have been hunting. Took along the cell phone...put it in my back pocket. Usually it doesn't work out here but I took it anyhow. Headed for the woods to the old spring where I found the Indian the week before. Was just minding my own business....digging all those positive signals. Been there for about 30 minutes get another good signal bent down to dig the hole and......YIPES! thought a snake had bit me on the butt! My hubby had put the phone on vibrate! I jumped like a jack rabbit! :D He says "because you don't answer it when it rings I thought I'd get your attention!".....It did! ;D

I usually always tell someone where I am going to be hunting....just in case.....

Nice find too Burdie!

;)

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stan, glad you are ok, nice find! Tsgman

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Nana40 said:
Glad your good to go Burdie!

b]YIPES![/b] thought a snake had bit me on the butt! My hubby had put the phone on vibrate! I jumped like a jack rabbit!? :D He says "because you don't answer it when it rings I thought I'd get your attention!".....It did!? ;D

I

I once worked for a co. that required me to carry a beeper. Couldn't use "vibrate" as it always made me jump thru the roof and YELL! Like an electric shock. Nothing discreet about it, so why go through the pain!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beepers were never a very good idea. The City tried it once but there were a couple of guys that would drop them down in their pants and spend all day calling themselves! ;) Monty

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
I would use caution entering a dug well,there is a risk of bad air in deep holes.A large portion of the wells in middle Tn. contain methane or co2.A couple of guys died of suffocation near my place while working in a hole about 8 feet deep.

Sinkholes are another hazzard in this country.A woman exiting our church fell into a sinkhole in the middle of the parking area.

For safety having a buddy along is a wise idea.

hasbeen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread