Be on the lookout for MTG

theplaneswalker

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2011
I dont know if it has ever been posted on here before but, just like sports cards you should be on the lookout for Magic: The Gathering cards. some of the cards from earlier sets in the early to mid 90's are going for hundreds to even thousands. Names on cards to be on the lookout for are like Black Lotus (one of the most sought after card, a perfect condition one from the first set (alpha) can, and have fetched thousands), also mox ruby, mox jet, mox pearl, mox sapphire, mox emerald are hundreds to thousands depending on set (black bordered are always worth more then white bordered), original dual lands like bayou, taiga, tundra, underground sea, tropical island, badlands, plateau, savannah, scrubland, and volcanic island are worth hundreds (again black bordered worth more then white but white bordered cards for duals range $50-$300) also lookout for the power 9 (most sought after cards in the game) this includes black lotus, the five previously mentioned mox's, time walk, timetwister, and ancestral recall. one last card to look out for is force of will those range for like $80. Thats all i can post right now i have to meet with my gf but there are more valuable cards not listed here (yay google!) and remember, cardboard is worth some cash too ;D

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
theplaneswalker said:
I dont know if it has ever been posted on here before but, just like sports cards you should be on the lookout for Magic: The Gathering cards. some of the cards from earlier sets in the early to mid 90's are going for hundreds to even thousands. Names on cards to be on the lookout for are like Black Lotus (one of the most sought after card, a perfect condition one from the first set (alpha) can, and have fetched thousands), also mox ruby, mox jet, mox pearl, mox sapphire, mox emerald are hundreds to thousands depending on set (black bordered are always worth more then white bordered), original dual lands like bayou, taiga, tundra, underground sea, tropical island, badlands, plateau, savannah, scrubland, and volcanic island are worth hundreds (again black bordered worth more then white but white bordered cards for duals range $50-$300) also lookout for the power 9 (most sought after cards in the game) this includes black lotus, the five previously mentioned mox's, time walk, timetwister, and ancestral recall. one last card to look out for is force of will those range for like $80. Thats all i can post right now i have to meet with my gf but there are more valuable cards not listed here (yay google!) and remember, cardboard is worth some cash too ;D

Welcome to the site, sorry to tell you this but MTG has been covered already. Although, a great reminder for everyone to look for these as they may be easily overlooked.
A side note though, Force of Will is NOT an $80 card, closer to 50-60. It is great to look out for the "Power 9" but if you only focus your search on those cards then you are going to be waiting a very long time to find anything and/or you will be missing out on a ton of EASY TO FIND but still highly valuable cards. I am actively looking and I have never found Power 9 "in the wild". Thankfully, there are "money" cards in almost every set with only about half a dozen sets in the whole game that had no valuable cards released.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to go dig mine up. They are from the mid 90's. Only have 20 or so though. I remember this being discussed a while back. Thanks for the reminder and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
I've got to go dig mine up. They are from the mid 90's. Only have 20 or so though. I remember this being discussed a while back. Thanks for the reminder and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
haha Dig's you don't look like a MTG player.. you must have bought them at a sale or something..lol eaziest way to tell if a card may have a good bit of value is look for the gold color symbol every set except the first few sets have a symbol for the set.. the rares are gold

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of them. Don't think I have even seen one at a sale. I have seen some cards I can't pronounce (oogeoo?). They look Japanese and have stupid looking monsters fighting each other.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw some of these recently at a thrift store. Didn't know they were worth anything. I'll head back over there and see if they are still there.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cyberdan said:
Never heard of them. Don't think I have even seen one at a sale. I have seen some cards I can't pronounce (oogeoo?). They look Japanese and have stupid looking monsters fighting each other.
are you talking about Yu gi oh?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what these are....can any one post a pic. if they have one? I see a lot of cards of different sorts, but usually just skip over them. I'll have to start looking closer at them.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
cyberdan said:
are you talking about Yu gi oh?
Yes, that is it! I was close >:(
Looks like boy things, I had one daughter who only collected books. Don't about those things.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I went on ebay and looked at a lot of the MTG cards on there. Some don't sell at all and others go for a whole lot a $ in my opinion. Just takes the right card I guess. Have to keep my eye out for the ones mentioned in this thread. Thanks!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Treat MTG cards like buying bulk wheat pennies: Only pay a little for a bulk lot and hope to find a 1909-S, be lucky to find a 1914-D, but expect to find a bunch of 40s and 50s dates. Then resell the rest in the same manner you bought them.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shhhh... Let's keep this one a secret folks... haha

I have found one P9 "in the wild". Unlimited Time Walk... Pretty card... Well, it was a craigslist buy. Same collection had about 5 dual lands.

carry on

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
DFW_THer said:
Shhhh... Let's keep this one a secret folks... haha

I have found one P9 "in the wild". Unlimited Time Walk... Pretty card... Well, it was a craigslist buy. Same collection had about 5 dual lands.

carry on

Im not too worried about "letting the cat out of the bag" on this one. You really need to know the market pretty well to buy/sell these cards and most people won't want to or be able to know what to look for.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I got mtg cards f anyone is interested

You are posting all over asking to buy and sell MTG cards. Have yet to hear any details about what you are actually looking for. Eventually you are gonna have your posts removed if the moderators catch you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine I'll shut up lol

SS, a friendly word of advice, you were banned once under user name $ilverSnatcher for doing the same thing your doing now..... I suggest you stop posting spam links.....

Last edited:

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I wonder if we still have my son's set of those cards... Seems like I remember a black border, but no idea what the various cards he had actually were. Cross your fingers, ok?!

Nan

jay28

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Boxes of the Revised edition stuff, I should really go though it and sell it on ebay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread